Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?

Many of us think that the thinner the finish, the better. Within limits, I tend to agree, that's been the case for the guitars I seem to like best.

But -

Leo Fender didn't care about that stuff. If a burst finish was flawed, he simply had 'em painted over in a solid color. Didn't even bother to sand the first finish off, just get it to where the next coat of paint would stick. Waste not, want not, I guess!

Of course Fender players think a painted-over guitar is the cat's ass. They're offering relics where the outside finish is artificially worn off enough to see the inside finish. So, twice as much paint, except for the stuff they remove to make the guitar nasty looking. And they charge EXTRA for it!

So now it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Point is, everyone's got different tastes, different priorities, different needs.

You’re not wrong, my MIJ Strat looks to have about 1/16th finish.

If you are talking a more direct comparison ( Silver Sky to a Strat ) then its the features and execution , The Silver Sky has ( for me ) the perfect neck shape , great pickup tones in all 5 positions , Trem that works , smaller neck heal , wiring with a tone on the bridge stock , 7.5" radius that works.
Yes Fender possibly could make something like the Silver Sky but they don't and haven't for along time.
As far as a Tele goes the S2 Vela is close but I am hopeful PRS will try their hand a a tele and a tele thinline hoping with Narrowfield or Narrow 408s in it .
If you are talking overall Fender and Gibson can make some stellar instruments BUT for me I have had to weed thru many to find the keepers for me , with PRS its much easier to find great guitars IMHO

Nude? There was some You-don't-dare-challenge. I was doing a nude head stand under the hot sun in a camp in the desert of a West Asian country.
I have heard, that I would have gotten free drinks for life time in the officers mess of the army of an ally. In my case it was only the win the challenge against a non-commissioned officer.

All times being abroad on missions for several months made me being nude from my PRSi.

Shortly prior being deployed to mission in March 2020 I received the Gristlemaster from Wildwood. Whilst mission I ordered a custom made guitar with Tele outline - but Gretsch's gene.
And: Though I don't need the original Strat or Tele I have guitars, which are more or less inspired from the body design by those iconic guitars.

Strat: all my three PRS doublecuts, the Parker Fly.
Tele: Gristlemaster, Peavey HP2 NOS, Linus Red Scorpion.

Therefore there is a little heritage carried out in those guitars.

Looks, features, playability ? Did it just "speak to you" ?
Definitely features followed by looks. I have a Tremonti with low output pickups put in. I see it as the perfect all rounder. It has good looks too. Lighter than a les Paul, better neck with the wide thin 25” scale and better high fret access. Sounds like a les Paul when I want it too but has pull pot for single coils. Volume and tone per pickup. I keep the pickups fairly low so than in single coil mode it’s Uber clean like a Danelectro or Telecaster.

Back