Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?

I didn't, I bought PRS' to replace heavy Les Pauls and larger Gibson hollow bodies. My Strat's and Tele's proudly sit right next to the PRS'.
Exact reason I stated buying PRS guitars along with the quality is much better. My 2 PRS SS guitars have replaced my strats. I have 3 "T" style guitars. Waiting for PRS to make one........

*choose

I didn't choose OVER... I chose NEXT TO.
(But notice no Tele. Can't deal with body and headstock aesthetics on that one)

RiL7BTW.jpg

Because I just can’t seem to get along with Strats or Teles. And lord knows I’ve tried!
Same thing for me. I had just bought a Les Paul, and was looking for something that could straddle the line between that and a Fender, but lighter. And along comes PRS to my local shop. I had seen pictures and read about the McCarty. Then I saw it hanging up on the wall and knew it had to be mine. Over fifteen years later I still treasure it along with my Swamp Ash Special and Silver Sky SE.

My guitar teacher had a Fender Strat, whilst I had a LP copy. Don´t ask me regarding the brand. I didn't feel comfy with the neck shape. It was too bulky. And even the body shape I didn't like. And the Tele I didn't like because of the simply-cut-off-out-of-blank body.
PRS guitars attracted me from the very beginning by their violin shaped top and the awesome wood grains. Nearly 20 years after starting to play electrics I bought my first PRS, more or less unintended, because my wife presented my a few grants for spending for something I would desire. First guess was another MTB or road racer. But YouTube depicted by a seek after Steve Vai his band mate Dave Weiner showing a PRS. Which appeared to be a 513 Swamp Ash.
I was trapped. And playing the guitar - and comparing it soundwise with Fender Strat or Tele or substituts - I don't miss a thing.
I never bought a Fender neither a Gibson.
But later a bought a Reverend Gristlemaster Greg Koch Signature - for its pickups allowing the swap between white or black guard.

Maybe a little different answer than some of you, I didn’t. I have a Warmouth Tele I built with Kinman pickups, Rosewood neck. I also have an American Strat, Les Paul 120th Anniversary (close take on 59 spec). When I want those tones I use those guitars that said it’s the Custom 24 predominantly for me, love the feel, weight and most importantly the tones I can get out of them. Any PRS in my stable is the first picked up to play.

For a while, I owned a Fender American Professional II strat and a PRS Silver Sky at the same time.
Comparing them back to back, I realized a few things:

1. I've heard many reviewers say that a Silver Sky sounds quite different form a Fender strat, but I'm going to be honest - I could easily get similar tones from both guitars, and they both sounded excellent to my ear. So tone-wise, I didn't have any strong preference between these two.
2. The build quality on the Fender is good, but on the PRS, it's absolutely great. All the tolerances seem much tighter on the PRS - the gaps where the neck and body meet for example are almost nothing, and the guitar seems much more meticulously put together. It doesn't affect the playability at all, but it's just something I immediately noticed.
3. The major factor - the neck shape on the PRS is just perfect for my hand. I'm aware that the Silver Sky neck is actually based on a Fender neck, so in theory it should be possible to find a Fender with a similar neck shape, but around where I live, the thinner Fender "modern" necks are all over the place and I've yet to find any Fender strat that feels quite as good as the Silver Sky.
4. Finally, I realize this is a bit vain, but the bird inlays on the PRS are absolutely beautiful while not being over the top. So this is just gives an extra point for the Silver Sky.

In the end, I very quickly realized that I'm only reaching for the Silver Sky, so I ended up selling the Fender.

I have a Tele and a Strat , both fine for what that do , but IMO as a Luthier I'm not a fan of "Kit" guitars , Leo was a great engineer but he wasn't a player like Paul . To me along with many others, PRS simply makes the finest production instruments . I have many Gibsons, and Taylors as well

I like perfection. In playability, looks, sound. PRS delivers. Besides that: I am a HB guy, single coils - other than P90s don't float my boat.

Closing argument: as ornithologist I have a fondness for the birdies.

I have a real '54 Esquire and two Strats.

I bought my PRS SE Silver Sky because I tried it, fell in love with it, and for $850 out the door couldn't pass it up.

I liked it so much, a month or so later I bought a second one, so now I have two.

Love the neck and fingerboard. The tremolo stays in tune and is much more useable than the five screw vintage version on my Strats.

Love the pickups too, but I bought a second one because I've been playing Duncan Custom Shop Surfers for years and I wanted to have my favorite pickups in one of my Silver Skys.

I play my Silver Skys these days.

The Strats I own are still great guitars but my Silver Skys are more dependable, stay in tune better, sound as good or better, and I just enjoy them more.

I own a wonderful Gibson ES335 that was my #1 for a long time, but when I got my '95 Custom 22 I stopped playing my ES335 for the same reasons. The PRS just feels better, sounds better and stays in tune.

And I love the way it looks!

Last edited:
The instruments that express your music the way you envision it are the best for you - regardless of brand, model, looks, and all the other stuff that we talk about.

There's a gestalt to an instrument. Pick it up, play it, and if it delights you in every way, that's the one to get. If it doesn't give you a sense of satisfaction to play, it's not right for you.

We (myself included, of course) spend a lot of time justifying and rationalizing what we buy, but in the end the rationalizations and justifications are entirely irrelevant. No one even wants to hear them.

Fender guitars make a lot of players happy. Fantastic! Same with Gibson, same with PRS, same with every brand. There's a player for every guitar; if there wasn't, there'd only be one brand.

Does it really matter if one company makes a tighter neck pocket than another one? Of course not. That's guitar magazine reviewer's nonsense - unless it makes a difference to the player. Does it matter if there are birds or dots or, what the heck, toilet seats on the fretboard? Nope, unless it matters to you. A little gloop of paint here or there? Hell, some players like a guitar that looks like it's been dragged on a gravel road behind a pickup truck.

If Fender makes the guitar that's right for you, then that's what to get. If PRS makes the guitar that's right to you, then get a PRS. It's really that simple, and doesn't have to be broken down into little pieces/parts justifications.

I started with a tele as my first real guitar (after the obligatory Harmony). Wouldn’t stay in tune. I was a Gibson player for many years, but they also wouldn’t stay in tune, and I had to retune the guitar for each song depending on what part of the neck I was playing the tune on. The Gibsons were consistently bad above the 12th fret, and too dark sounding. I tried refrets, new pickups, and fingerboard planing. They never fixed the problem. I got a used SE Singlecut P90, and it outplayed my top of the line LP, and every other guitar I ever had. It’s all PRS all the time, with no consideration of anyone else’s guitars. And yeah, they look nice, but they play in tune stay in tune, and give me all the sounds I’d been looking for for many years.

You must be way better looking than I am! My wife had to buy me a Custom 22, a 25th Anniversary Custom 22 Semi Hollow LTD, and a Custom 24 before she got happier.
Ha ha ha well........to be honest.......SHE bought the first prs, I bought the next seven.

Kind of the male version of tummy tuck, b@@b job and botox!

I got there, it just took a lot of money!

Many of us think that the thinner the finish, the better. Within limits, I tend to agree, that's been the case for the guitars I seem to like best.

But -

Leo Fender didn't care about that stuff. If a burst finish was flawed, he simply had 'em painted over in a solid color. Didn't even bother to sand the first finish off, just get it to where the next coat of paint would stick. Waste not, want not, I guess!

Of course Fender players think a painted-over guitar is the cat's ass. They're offering relics where the outside finish is artificially worn off enough to see the inside finish. So, twice as much paint, except for the stuff they remove to make the guitar nasty looking. And they charge EXTRA for it!

So now it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Point is, everyone's got different tastes, different priorities, different needs.

Last edited:
Back