Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?

I have a G&L Nighthawk I bought new in 1983 so I have a "strat", I just don't play it much.

I like prs for many reasons. They feel good my hands for one. Prs guitars are works of art and they just plain work for me.

I can't seem to make strat guitars sound good but I do like telecasters and I am considering buying one.

There is a G&L tele for sale locally that i may go look at.

I originally picked a Strat over a PRS Santana SE. I had gotten laid off shortly after 9/11 and, for the first time since my teens, woke up with nothing to do. So I decided to learn guitar and proceeded to over-analyze what I should get.

I narrowed it down to a used Santana SE and a Strat. A large e-tailer did a blowout on Highway 1 Strats, so I opted for that. As much as I love it, I think I erred. I struggled with tuning with the trem and setup (and badly cut nut, I later learned). I didn't realize how far off it was until I wore out the frets and took it to a competent luthier. The small shop would have setup the Santana with purchase.

While the Strat was getting refretted, I bought a Tele. And a few other guitars over the next several years. None quite got me what I hoped.

Then I found a used 2008 Mira, remembered the Santana, a Singlecut I once tried (went back for the next day but had been sold), and decided to give it a go. After some time and familiarity I decided it was "it." I haven't seriously guitar shopped since, although a few PRSs catch my attention.

So yeah, I dig the Mira. I also dig the Strat. A go back and forth on the others.

If I could send myself a message back in time I'd tell myself to get the Santana SE, have it set up, and to get a small tube amp (instead of learning unplugged and with a semi-functional modeler). I'd also give myself life advice and the assurance that playing guitar is going to help manage the roller coaster ride life is going to become.

How's that for far more info than you asked? (Even after I edited out extraneous detail).

Last edited:

Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?​

I did it for the women. The ladies LOVE a man with a PRS.
They do? Man, if I could play my PRS while riding my mountain bike while wearing a tux (with my groovy peacoat-blue running shoes), while reading Walden, while cooking a gourmet dish, I could be ... er ... probably really confused.

Edit: I just remembered a clinic I had with jazz saxophonist James Moody. Someone asked him why he took up sax. He said because women loved the sound of the tenor saxophone. But by the time he got good at it, women were all about guitarists. "But it's okay," he said, then turned around, pointed to the back of his head, and yelled, "Because I've got a little pony tail!"

Last edited:
I'd also give myself life advice and the assurance that playing guitar is going to help manage the roller coaster ride life is going to become.
Music is the single rock I am clinging to at the moment, totally feel you on this one!

I wanted a PRS for decades just because of their beauty. When I pulled the trigger in Jan 2021 to get my McCarty 594 HBII, I had no idea how the tone and playability would capture my heart and mind! Phenomenal instruments IMO and best I can tell so far, a phenomenal company as well!!! The forum ain't too shabby either, but it don't play like their guitars ;~))

They do? Man, if I could play my PRS while riding my mountain bike while wearing a tux (with my groovy peacoat-blue running shoes), while reading Walden, while cooking a gourmet dish, I could be ... er ... probably really confused.

Edit: I just remembered a clinic I had with jazz saxophonist James Moody. Someone asked him why he took up sax. He said because women loved the sound of the tenor saxophone. But by the time he got good at it, women were all about guitarists. "But it's okay," he said, then turned around, pointed to the back of his head, and yelled, "Because I've got a little pony tail!"
Come on man. Ain’t nobody needs all of that. All you need is a PRS, a speedo, and the….legs to pull that off, and you’re golden!

I had a Custom Strat and Custom Les Paul I bought in ‘14 before I saw my first PRS. Never heard of PRS before. I saw this beautiful curly maple Les that I wanted real bad, but never found one to buy after a long search. (I think 11 Top has them all, yes I’m envious.) Then I discovered a PRS advertisement with the flame and curls and I decided they were worth a look. I couldn’t find a Fender or Gibson that had flame or curls so my third guitar was a 30th anniversary Custom 24 I got in ‘15. I picked up a Tele, then 4 more beautiful PRS. I bought cores, well one is a Private Stock. All PRS I play are made to the highest standards of materials, fit and finish, and sound fantastic. I love the neck shapes, and all PRS are lighter than the Fenders and Gibsons I purchased or played. They also have longer sustain. I bought one non-PRS which rivals the PRS in quality, a Collings I-35 Deluxe in quilt. I would have chosen Fenders and Gibsons if they were better quality, but I havent got the time or patience to “run the racks.” I did buy a Gibson 355 before the Collings, but returned the Gibson because it had terrible build quality. Neck shrunk in my home over 2 weeks, fret sprout cracked the neck binding at every fret so I refused to keep it. One other Gibson Les I bought had a twisted neck, which Gibson says is in spec. That is gone too. I looked into ordering another Custom Strat or a Custom Tele, but they seem to be more interested in relics and reissues and those aren’t for me. My McCarty 594 is better than my Les, and my Silver Sky are both better than my Strat. I’m biased for a reason. I still keep the Fenders and Gibson, lusted after them since the ‘60s and they are older so the build quality is great. My favorite PRS is a Paul’s Guitar of the Month PS. I recommend you dip a toe in the water.

My most recent guitar purchase has been a Fender Professional II strat, which has been wonderful. In fact I want another strat. Thought about a Jazzmaster but the wiring on the Pro II just works for me (tap the lower tone control and you get the neck pickup added to the bridge pickup, etc, instantly cures the “too bright” critique of strats.) I also think it’s somewhat fuller neck carve I prefer over my CE24. Next Strat will be an HSS, hard to find on PRS for the most part. Both brands pickups have definitely improved. I like ‘‘em both but right now, prefer my Strat.

Reactions: jxe
Back