Why Did You Chose a PRS Over a Fender Tele or Strat ?

Prefer humbuckers compared to single-coils. Could never quite feel comfortable with single-coils in either strats or teles. Avoids any 60-Hz hum that way, even though more recent single-coils have proprietary "noiseless" pickup systems.

Wouldn't mind trying a strat-type guitar with dual buckers (e.g. Suhr PT sig) someday...

Last edited:
I can see myself buying a proper Strat or 62 double-bound Tele again eventually.

With your skills I’d look round for a MIJ or Korean Squier and upgrade.

I put Onamac Winery “Texas Specials” (got ‘em for a steal) in my MIJ Strat. They are hot enough to balance with my PAF loaded HB guitars.

Hottest pickups I have are the p90’s, well the Santana might be hotter now. I haven’t done a comparison, because as soon as I pick up the Santana, we’ll you know.

With your skills I’d look round for a MIJ or Korean Squier and upgrade.

I put Onamac Winery “Texas Specials” (got ‘em for a steal) in my MIJ Strat. They are hot enough to balance with my PAF loaded HB guitars.

The hottest pickups I have are the p90’s, well the Santana might be hotter now. I haven’t done a comparison, because as soon as I pick up the Santana, we’ll you know.

My utter skill is to spend the money I don't have, on guitars I can't afford, to show off to people who couldn't care less ;)

As far as the stratocaster goes; Eric Johnson's Signature is ticking all relevant boxes. The price is not too crazy for a used, 12" radius, hotter bridge pickup, quartersaw soft V neck, thin nitro finish, 50s deep contours - I always believed it's the best production Strat. With the Tele; it's tough, either Custom Shop (over my dead rotting body, won't spend 5k for a Fender, ever), or MIJ. 62s are still being made, I believe

My utter skill is to spend the money I don't have, on guitars I can't afford, to show off to people who couldn't care less ;)

As far as the stratocaster goes; Eric Johnson's Signature is ticking all relevant boxes. The price is not too crazy for a used, 12" radius, hotter bridge pickup, quartersaw soft V neck, thin nitro finish, 50s deep contours - I always believed it's the best production Strat. With the Tele; it's tough, either Custom Shop (over my dead rotting body, won't spend 5k for a Fender, ever), or MIJ. 62s are still being made, I believe

Haha, yep don’t lose your d!ck dude.

Fair dues brother.

I resemble that comment! Although the only people I show mine off to are the people here on the forum, and they at least pretend to care!!

Oh, I value the forum. It's just I probably have like two mates obsessed with gear. One is into Ibanez LACS and generally ERGs, the other one is the opposite spectrum; underwound pickups and vintage stuff. I'm a bit lonely with my 6-string PRSi lol

He’s not talking about us MDW, he knows we’re all addicted to the Kool Aid.
giphy.gif

Groovy! I've always been curious about the Fender Select series and have wondered if Hamer's wood stocks were used. (Since FMIC acquired Hamer for a time and has since sold it).

You know, I couldn't say whether they use Hamer's wood stocks or not, but these Select Telecasters definitely take advantage of some nice woods. The Koa archtop has a Paulownia (Empress Wood) back, and the one with the flame Maple top is backed with a really nice, super light piece of Swamp Ash... and the Maple in both necks is insanely flamed. I've often thought they were a Fender take on what Paul brought to the table with PRS; beautiful, carefully selected woods paired with thoughtful engineering, evolved pickups and impeccable playability.

I have an American Professional ii shell pink hss Strat, Gibson LP Tribute, Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas, a Schecter MGK (the flat black one, and a little bit of a long story).
Just got a PRS S2 Custom 24 10th anniversary. It's Bonni pink cherry burst.
I bought it because I love the color and the regular S2 had been out of stock and when it came back the anniversary model was there as well with US electronics for 400 bucks more so I bought it.
Great color, plays and sounds awesome. Has some oddly random, what were explained to me to be mineral streaks, at odd angles on it. Probably woulda sent it back but it plays and sounds too good and I can't get another one.
In a nutshell, I like them all. Appearance played a big part in their purchase. Playability and sound keeps them all around.
My favorite list goes like this.
1. PRS S2
2. Schecter MGK
3. Strat
4. Charvel
5. LP

My reason was; I couldn't afford both. I'm predominantly a high-gain player so I have parted with my Stratocaster to get a second PRS.

I can see myself buying a proper Strat or 62 double-bound Tele again eventually.
Or just get a SE Silver Sky. They're better than most Strats!

I have an American Professional ii shell pink hss Strat, Gibson LP Tribute, Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas, a Schecter MGK (the flat black one, and a little bit of a long story).
Just got a PRS S2 Custom 24 10th anniversary. It's Bonni pink cherry burst.
I bought it because I love the color and the regular S2 had been out of stock and when it came back the anniversary model was there as well with US electronics for 400 bucks more so I bought it.
Great color, plays and sounds awesome. Has some oddly random, what were explained to me to be mineral streaks, at odd angles on it. Probably woulda sent it back but it plays and sounds too good and I can't get another one.
In a nutshell, I like them all. Appearance played a big part in their purchase. Playability and sound keeps them all around.
My favorite list goes like this.
1. PRS S2
2. Schecter MGK
3. Strat
4. Charvel
5. LP
Congrats on the new guitar. Personally, I love tops with quirky mineral streaks. Shows the true nature of the wood, and has no effect on tone.

I had a Studio Les Paul that sounded great, but was uncomfortable to play. I traded it for a Strat that was great to play, but didn’t sound as good as the Les Paul. I lucked into a new PRS (1996 CE-24 in Vintage Yellow with Birds) that was a blend of the two. It felt great and sounded great. It didn’t hurt that it looked awesome.

I had a Studio Les Paul that sounded great, but was uncomfortable to play. I traded it for a Strat that was great to play, but didn’t sound as good as the Les Paul. I lucked into a new PRS (1996 CE-24 in Vintage Yellow with Birds) that was a blend of the two. It felt great and sounded great. It didn’t hurt that it looked awesome.
There ya go.

The CE22 and CE24 do seem like a blend of a Strat and Les Paul.

The alder body and bolt on maple neck of a Strat.

But the frets and humbuckers of a Les Paul.

And the 25" scale length is 1/4" longer than a Les Paul's and 1/2" shorter than a Strat's. Right between the two.

Real nice sounds from the 5 position rotary too.

I'm a recent convert. I owned two CU22 PRS guitars with the 5 position rotary and didn't like it or the pickups.

Then I got a '97 CE22 and that guitar changed me.

It's quite different from a CU22.

This is the age old story.

There ya go.

The CE22 and CE24 do seem like a blend of a Strat and Les Paul.

The alder body and bolt on maple neck of a Strat.

But the frets and humbuckers of a Les Paul.

And the 25" scale length is 1/4" longer than a Les Paul's and 1/2" shorter than a Strat's. Right between the two.

Real nice sounds from the 5 position rotary too.

I'm a recent convert. I owned two CU22 PRS guitars with the 5 position rotary and didn't like it or the pickups.

Then I got a '97 CE22 and that guitar changed me.

It's quite different from a CU22.
Does your CE22 have an alder body? Seems kinda late to not be mahogany.

Back