What is your next PRS and why?

I don’t know, so I don’t know why.

I’d love a 594. I don’t see a core as a purchase any time soon. S2... maybe.

I thought the SS was a “must play, then probably buy” guitar, but now the flower guitar is more “my thing” because HSS! All the while, the very affordable Vela sure seems to have some magic after seeing Aahzz’s latest score.

Same here. I just acquired a McCarty as my main practice/gig guitar....my needs are fulfilled for the time, so there's no real desire for anything else...my wish list might be something with a IRW or BRW neck, but this would likely need to be several years from now, when I'm even more old and decrepit...

So, am going to buck the trend and say I'm content and thankful for what I already have...and only want something when its more cost-effective and does the job better for less money spent...

I bought my first and only PRS in 1995 - a new CE22 maple top with birds and a wide fat neck. A year or so later I got a job selling guitars at a PRS dealer and spent the next 18 years selling them and never buying another. My CE22 was (is) so good I just couldn’t justify another one, and I was never a huge fan of the set neck models anyway, I always much preferred the bolt-ons. I was tempted by a few over the years - a silver and a gold holoflake CE22 that I had ordered for the store a year or two after I started, and then not again until the original Modern Eagles came out and we had a red tiger one. Couldn’t afford that, so... I just never bought another PRS. I ended up with a ‘52 Tele reissue, and a Peavey Wolfgang Standard stoptail which just unexpectedly blew me away, and a few Gretsch models more recently, but no more PRS...

BUT, that will change in July, because I have a Vela satin solid body in McCarty Tobacco Burst on backorder. Sounds crazy to say it, but this is the first model PRS has made in a long, long time that has caught my eye and captured my imagination. The Vela is just way more my speed these days. I still love my CE22, always will, but the Vela stands a good chance of being my new #1. Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Sensible choice would be a Fiore in Black Iris. Price and maple being the factor. Then I played a Custom 24 10 in McCarty burst. So much for sensibilities.
I played a 594 DC too and really thought I would like it over the cu24. A fine guitar no doubt but I have that vibe in another guitar.

I’d love a 594. I don’t see a core as a purchase any time soon. S2... maybe.

I thought the SS was a “must play, then probably buy” guitar, but now the flower guitar is more “my thing” because HSS! All the while, the very affordable Vela sure seems to have some magic after seeing Aahzz’s latest score.

Just let me know if you want to get together and check out the Vela in person...

Revision to my choice
Other than anniversary Cu24 I already have - I would love to own dedicated Cu24 for drop tuning, a Fiore for my SC inner myself and a HBII. My life would be complete with no needs for more guitars ever period

I’d love a 594. I don’t see a core as a purchase any time soon.

Nothing at all wrong with an S2, but you really NEED a Core.

"Says who?"

"Says the guy who realizes what a short glide path we're on, and believes firmly that you should live your dreams before it's too late."

"What if your dream turns into a nightmare? Then what?"

"Well...um....you know...don't blame me!" :p

But you know. Core. ;)

Last edited:
Nothing at all wrong with an S2, but you really NEED a Core.

"Says who?"

"Says the guy who realizes what a short glide path we're on, and believes firmly that you should live your dreams before it's too late."

"What if your dream turns into a nightmare? Then what?"

"Well...um....you know...don't blame me!" :p

But you know. Core. ;)

Core guitars are awesome, I've owned quite a few...but what everyone NEEDS is a Vela :).

Just brought home my new to me 2019 PRS SE Standard. Just wanted to add it to my SE family. It has surprised me as to the tones it gives. Fits well with My Bernie Marsden and my Santana. My Kingfisher is in a class of its own.
If I played more bass, I’d own one of those Kingfisher’s FOR SURE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can not really predict what will pop up that I must have, but thinking of a SC 594 SH, because I have a S2 DC 594 and S2 Thinline 594, so the SC would complete the collection of 594s. I would like a S2 version, which is inexplicably missing from the lineup. :confused: I might just get the S2 SC 594 and call it done, but not sure the sound would be different enough from the other two I have, don’t want redundancy.

Just brought home my new to me 2019 PRS SE Standard. Just wanted to add it to my SE family. It has surprised me as to the tones it gives. Fits well with My Bernie Marsden and my Santana. My Kingfisher is in a class of its own.

The Standard is a fine guitar, I had one briefly before giving it to my son in law. The Kingfisher was my first PRS bass, great bass and loved it until I got the Kestrel which fit me and the band better. I kept the Kingfisher, love the looks and feel, sound is ok but would like to try some different pups someday.

Standard
47401135302_b34834deab_b.jpg

Kingfisher
48270525326_49126758dc_b.jpg

Kestrel
50009019387_13db54cfa2_b.jpg

I already own two pretty low key finishes, I feel like if I'm going to go in again I should finally get a flashy top with a beautiful finish. Opaque always felt inadequate on a PRS, with only one exception - black with a natural back!

I like the way you think! This was my next/last PRS for the foreseeable future. I’ve wanted a black/natural back guitar for years but they’re pretty difficult to come by. I saw this at Eddies and after a few months I broke down and ordered it. I’m thrilled with it and I think it rounds out my collection well.
A3-BBCC20-BB21-45-AC-8042-661-A0-AB7-E70-F.jpg

213-A445-F-8-B9-F-47-E8-83-BA-542-E3-C56531-E.jpg

Back