What is your next PRS and why?

Something with perfect flame, and I mean perfect!

I can’t hang with you big spenders. My next will be a SE, just like the five others I have, either a Hollowbody II Piezo, which I am really jonesing for, or a Holcomb. Depends on prices, availability, and my mood, when I’m ready to pull the trigger. But I want a Soapbar II, too.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to answer the “why?”. If I have to explain...no...no, really...I love the sounds they can make, each with their own voice. And I want access to those voices.

There is an alternative line of thought that's equally correct. Often these kinds of things come down to priorities and outlook.

Nor am I suggesting you're somehow incorrect in your thinking. What follows applies only to me.

I find that the quality of tone is more important than the number of tones. I need to have one great, truly expressive guitar with fantastic tone. I can get everything musical I need out of a single, great guitar. That doesn't mean that down the road I won't add more. But that's the fundamental, sine qua non of my musical life.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd sell the 5 guitars you have an get one absolutely fabulous sounding one. The nice thing about PRS' Core and PS lines is that it's pretty darn easy to find an instrument that has real magic.

Even though I make a living with my instruments, I've actually gotten into to owning one guitar like this myself. There've been plenty of times I had only one great PRS, and I was able to use it for multiple styles of music.

Again, not saying you're somehow wrong for feeling differently. Just sayin' I'd take one great Core PRS over 5 or 6 SEs.

@LSchefman

I really appreciate your advice, and it makes good sense. I’m still re-beginning my guitar journey, re-learning the basics, while also looking for “that” sound, and “the” guitar that will provide it. So, yes, I have amassed a number of inexpensive guitars, mostly PRS SE models. I’ve sold some too, With the current state of affairs with Covid, this has been my method to explore. Ideally, I think you’re right, one, maybe two, quality/versatile guitars should be enough, and ultimately I believe that’s where I’ll end up.

@LSchefman

I really appreciate your advice, and it makes good sense. I’m still re-beginning my guitar journey, re-learning the basics, while also looking for “that” sound, and “the” guitar that will provide it. So, yes, I have amassed a number of inexpensive guitars, mostly PRS SE models. I’ve sold some too, With the current state of affairs with Covid, this has been my method to explore. Ideally, I think you’re right, one, maybe two, quality/versatile guitars should be enough, and ultimately I believe that’s where I’ll end up.

I should be clear that I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your choice to have several SEs. Like you, I think it's interesting to have a few flavors.

My comment was made because I need each 'flavor example' to be as good as it can be. Admittedly it's a slower way to proceed (at least for me). I've never bought more than one in the course of a year. Usually I go two or three years before I'm in a position to add another one, and sometimes that means trading in or selling something I have (sometimes that's studio gear or an amp I'm not getting use out of, not a guitar).

One of the members here, Kingsley Durant, who is a terrific player and is asked to do gigs at places like NAMM, says that he believes it takes 5 years of playing to bring an instrument to the point where it reaches its potential. I find that to be closer to being true than being speculative. During that time also, we learn the nuances of the instrument, how it responds, how to get the most out of it, etc. Perhaps that learning progression is one reason the guitar seems to sound better?

It's SO tempting to go for the quick fix. I fight that battle myself, because my resources aren't unlimited. However, there are times that I fight that urge by opening the case to one of the instruments I already have, sit down, and appreciate what it can do, which helps.

There's something else that strikes me about what Kingsley says about that 5 year time frame: A good many of the iconic guitar tones that we recognize from the seminal period of the late '60s-early '70s were created using instruments built 5-10 years earlier.

Examples: Clapton's iconic 'Beano' tone was done on a Les Paul. The LP was out of production between 1960 and 1968. The 'Beano' record was done in 1965; Clapton bought an older, used guitar. Page was on a '59 Burst LP that was bought from Joe Walsh and used first on Led Zep's second album. The guitar was ten years old by the time we heard it at that point.

In other words, these big time rock stars were looking to find unusually great sounding instruments, and using them to create their signature sounds.

We're lucky, because we don't have to run the racks to find a needle-in-a-haystack, killer sounding guitar, PRS basically cranks 'em out. Play a few, and you're likely to find one that melts your heart sooner, rather than later.

I do think that the search for that heart-melter is part of the joy of being a musician.

The other observation I'll make is that it's great to find beautiful instruments, but it's even more fun when they're incredible sounding instruments.

I think my next PRS is going to be a used (possibly new since i have an eye on a couple) private stock guitar.

I gotta say if you own multiple PRS guitars...and you have one model that really gets at you a lot more than the others...you owe it to yourself to find that model in private stock form.

Just my bad advice there.

I just pulled the trigger today on a new Core Paul's Guitar in Faded Blue Jean Wrap. Can't wait for it to arrive! As for why...well, why does the sun rise in the east? When guitar fever bites, you simply succumb and go with what excites you the most. The bottom line is...it makes me happy.

Last edited:
Back