Is anyone else bothered by the larger fret size of some current PRS models?

Revelation

My son has a Silver Sky that is several years old. I like the fret size on his guitar. On my newer Silver Sky, they made the frets bigger. I initially liked it because I felt it helped you when you slide into a note to not overshoot the fret. But now I feel that they are a little too big. When you run your hand up and down the neck, the frets stick up and feel more in the way and they hit your fingers.

My older Strat from the 80's had the smaller frets. When Fender went with the taller frets on their newer Strats and Tele's, I liked it. I have no problem with the fret size on my Professional Telecaster. The frets offer a more defined fret feel while not being too big. I

In addition, I find my newer Gibson 335, and 1989 Les Paul frets also to be just fine and what I expect. So, with comparing all these guitars to the fret size on the current Silver Sky and my newer Mcarty 594, the PRS frets I notice more when playing than all my other guitars, and not in a good way. The frets don't blend with the neck, they stick up, are hard, and hit your fingers more than all my other guitars. Bear in mind, I'm not saying its not playable, as you do get used to it after playing them for a while and you end up not noticing it as much. But when I switch to my other guitars and then go back to the PRS guitars, I really notice it again. Does anyone else find the same thing?

I think it all depends on what you're used to... I actually felt that the frets on my '19 SS, and those I played before, were too small. But, most of my guitar playing life has been in the era where big frets are usually a desired thing, so it's what I'm used to.

That said, I learned to dig the smaller frets on my SS, because I feel they make my playing a little more fluid on that guitar. I wouldn't want smaller frets on all of my guitars, but I'm glad I got the SS when I did, because of the smaller frets and slightly different pickups than on the new models.

smaller frets on my SS, because I feel they make my playing a little more fluid on that guitar. I wouldn't want smaller frets on all of my guitars, but I'm glad I got the SS when I did, because of the smaller frets and slightly different pickups than on the new models.
I agree with you about playing a little more fluid on the smaller fret size. I found on my Gibsons and Fenders, I can play more fluid on them over my PRS guitars. I also don't like small frets as much but my Gibsons and Pro Tele frets are in the right ballpark for my preference. I don't have a problem playing my PRS guitars at all, but when I go back to my Gibsons, and Tele, I prefer the frets on them.

Last edited:
I like the bigger frets. I was mainly a Fender player before I bought my first PRS. Those have medium jumbo frets on the models I played. That may be why I really like the bigger frets in PRS guitars.

My main guitar has smaller frets, the guitar I gig the most has taller frets. I go back and forth. It seems whatever you play first seems correct and what you switch to is odd - but only for a short while.

Key point: If I were to have all of my guitars sent to the PTC and refretted it would be the taller ones. Easier for bends.

The standard PRS frets (the ones on most core/S2/SE models) are already relatively small compared to most other modern guitars. Vintage size frets are cool and have a special feel but arguably makes playing faster stuff and bending harder, which is why almost no modern guitars come with vintage frets.

This may be blasphemous around here, but for me, the bigger the better, and preferably stainless steel.
Ditto!

Jumbo fretwire has been my preference for decades. Stainless steel frets are wonderful on my Stingray Bass, so I'd be quite happy with them on my guitar.

Ultimately, fret size doesn't prevent me from liking a guitar, it's simply my preference ;)

My favorite frets are on older McCartys. Larger frets on Ted McCarty, DC22 etc are a little bigger than I like, feel they can slow down my playing and can cause intonation issues if the strings are pressed too hard.

My 1st PRS was an SE DGT. It took me a while to get used to the jumbo sized frets but now I really like them. I’ve got a 76 Les Paul with the “fretless wonder” frets. I’m tempted to get it refretted with jumbo frets.

So I have 2 strats. One I felt the action was perfect. The other I felt like I fought it more. So I measured. They are the exact same. The difference is the frets. Apparently I don’t like the taller frets used on modern. It takes my fingers off the finger boards. My tele and other strat have vintage jumbo so they feel great and smooth. All 3 of them were plek’d.

So I went back to my PRS. The Paul’s guitar SE feels jumbo and gigantic. The Zach Myers feels perfect! I guess I have a strong preference and never realized it until now.

I love my 2023 594 Core, but at times I wish the frets were a little lower. It's a drastic change from my R9, which I prefer. The 594 almost feels scalloped to me, they're so tall.

Fret size has never bothered me , My Santana's have Jumbo's and the play super easy

I should add, I preferred the fret height on my '97 CU22 when I had it, whatever they were.

Back