Does anyone move btwn 22 and 24 fret PRS seamlessly??

Russ73

Until this week all my PRS were 22 frets...grabbed an SE CE 24 and it feels off a bit...not terrible but different...do you guys usually stick to one or the other for that reason??

Until this week all my PRS were 22 frets...grabbed an SE CE 24 and it feels off a bit...not terrible but different...do you guys usually stick to one or the other for that reason??
I go between an SE Custom 24, a 4 string Mikro bass, a 5 string fretless bass, and a 5 string fretted bass. Very different fret layouts and neck profiles. No problem at all at this point. What I’ve always done is to continually rotate between them to keep them all familiar in my hands.

It feels "off" because--compared to a 22-fret PRS--the whole neck is moved out (to your left when playing, if you're right-handed) by the distance of ~2 small frets. The bridge is also shifted towards the neck by that same distance. You'll feel like you're having to reach out just a bit more for everything. (Gibson SG's are the same way compared to Les Pauls.)

Since I switch from scales as short as my Mandolin to the 34" of my Bass in my 42 stringed instruments , I've learned to adapt quickly . It does take a few moments. For me , if it's properly set up , it's really a non -issue .

I used to take my CU22 and CU24 to gigs all the time when they were my first and only two PRS guitars. I always had to adjust when switching to the CU24. I had to shift the guitar a bit to my right to play without it affecting me a lot. I know the scale length of both guitars is 25" but that neck on the CU24 always felt just a little bit longer. I hardly ever play any of my 24 fret guitars these days. I can't remember the last time I had one out. I have 3 of them, all different brands and they haven't seen the light of day for a good while. They are actually three I have been thinking I should sell.

No problem, I go back and forth fairly easily. Although if I've been playing the Cu24 a lot, I've been know to surprise myself when I run out of frets at the 22nd thinking I'm going all the way to that high E :D

In answer to the OP, I have no trouble switching between my 24 and 22 fret guitars, and have them in 24.594, 24.5, and 25 inch scale lengths. One has Pattern Regular carve, two are Pattern carve, and one is the DGT carve.

I even have some nerve damage to my fretting hand that makes playing a little more challenging, and still, no issues switching between my guitars.

Like others here, I have 24 fret and 22 fret electric PRSi (and 21 fret non-PRSi), 21 and 20 fret PRS acoustics, and play scale lengths from 24.5" to 27.7" (or 28" on the 8-stringer multiscale), and up to 8 strings, plus mandolins, mandolas, basses, banjos, and ukuleles.

The best approach is to switch around often - then you get used to the required adjustment. Sometimes it takes a conscious effort to "change gears", sometimes it is seamless.

Back