Considering a 22 Fret...Used to a 24 Fret and I'm tall

gilbertpsk

So...I currently play a CE24, love it. Great guitar! I'm about 6'2" and always felt the PRS looked a little smaller on me. I'm thinking of adding to my portfolio with a Core model 22 fret. Does anyone have experience with a Core 22 fret model on a taller player? Does it look alot smaller than a 24 fret on the player?

My Fiore is about an inch and a quarter shorter than my Custom 24. I doubt it would be noticed. May not be apples to apples though.

I'm 6'5" and play McCarty's. 22 frets is fine. See below and judge for yourself.

Al-With-Mc-Carty-2.jpg

Al-With-Mc-Carty.jpg

Nobody will notice the difference in the length of the neck. I however notice the difference immediately when I switch between them. I prefer the 22 fret but used to take both of my customs to gigs years ago. I used the 24 for some songs and the 22 for all of the rest of them. It always took me a little bit to adjust to the difference in length when playing. I found if I shifted the 24 fretter to the right just a little it helped adjust.

The first PRS I owned was in the 90's and it was a 24 fret CE24.

Beautiful guitar but after playing Gibsons all my life I could not get used to the sound of the neck pickup being moved 1" towards the middle of the CE24 to make room for the 23rd and 24th fret.

The neck pickup didn't sound as deep as what I was used to hearing.

I got kind of OCD about it and eventually sold the guitar. But I wish I'd kept it.

I've made up for it since then and have some nice 90's CE22's now.

All of my guitars have 22 frets. That's enough frets for me, I don't weedily deedily way up high much any more and don't really like hearing too much of that kind of playing.

And I prefer the sound of the neck pickup being in the "right" place, which for me is where Gibson mounts it in on a LP or ES335 or PRS mounts it on my 22 fret CE22 guitars.

Last edited:
The first PRS I owned was in the 90's and it was a 24 fret CE24.

Beautiful guitar but after playing Gibsons all my life I could not get used to the sound of the neck pickup being moved 1" towards the middle of the CE24 to make room for the 23rd and 24th fret.

The neck pickup didn't sound as deep as what I was used to hearing.

I got kind of OCD about it and eventually sold the guitar. But I wish I'd kept it.

I've made up for it since then and have some nice 90's CE22's now.

All of my guitars have 22 frets. That's enough frets for me, I don't weedily deedily way up high much any more and don't really like hearing too much of that kind of playing.

And I prefer the sound of the neck pickup being in the "right" place, which for me is where Gibson mounts it in on a LP or ES335 or PRS mounts it on my 22 fret CE22 guitars.

"Weedily deedily." A new phrase has been coined. :)
LOL. The producer was complaining a couple of weeks back that the guy we brought in for keyboards was doing too much of that "diddly diddly" stuff. Perhaps that is the keyboard equivalent to "Weedily deedily" :D

LOL. The producer was complaining a couple of weeks back that the guy we brought in for keyboards was doing too much of that "diddly diddly" stuff. Perhaps that is the keyboard equivalent to "Weedily deedily" :D
If you don't throw in some widdly, there's too much diddly.

A balance must be maintained. It can be a close-run thing.

So...I currently play a CE24, love it. Great guitar! I'm about 6'2" and always felt the PRS looked a little smaller on me. I'm thinking of adding to my portfolio with a Core model 22 fret. Does anyone have experience with a Core 22 fret model on a taller player? Does it look alot smaller than a 24 fret on the player?
Maybe avoid standing in front of a mirror with [t?

Wink wink

One thing I have noticed, is that once a player really gets into the music, we ALL look like sh*t! Be it the silly contorted faces we make. The way we "think" we are swaying our bodies with the music. The odd stomp box stepping. . . .etc.....

No matter how cool we "think" we look playing. We really do not. :cool:

One thing I have noticed, is that once a player really gets into the music, we ALL look like sh*t! Be it the silly contorted faces we make. The way we "think" we are swaying our bodies with the music. The odd stomp box stepping. . . .etc.....

No matter how cool we "think" we look playing. We really do not. :cool:
I make some very strange faces. My wife has told me that over and over for years. Then when phones started coming with cameras, I saw the proof and unfortunately have seen the proof many times. I had to stop caring.

I like the feel of the 24 fret due to where my left arm gets positioned when playing it as opposed to a 22 fret. Accessing 12th fret region is more comfortable and I feel that my hand is in the "natural" position when I am playing at the 5th fret or so. And this is not due to me having plyaed a 24 fret for years, I have way more time on my 22, but the 24 just feels more natural to me. I don't "weedily deedily" beyond the 15th fret or so, therefore no "need" for the extra two frets for me other than comfort of play. Hopefully you can test one out at a shop to see how it feels for you!

I don't think it will make a difference in terms of how it looks, but there is a small difference in how it feels. PRS 24 have been my "go-to" guitars for over 20 years and there is just something about how everything falls into place and I instinctively know which fret my hand is on without looking. I do have a 22 that I play from time to time, and it does throw me off a bit when I switch to it as fret positioning feels shifted closer to the pickups.

I’m 6’4”, and play a core CU22 and a McCarty. Both fit and feel great on my tall frame. I can’t imagine 2 frets would make any visual difference.

Back