Will a CE-22 and a SAS Be Redundant?

Rhythmisking

I have a wonderful SAS which I love, but have been wanting a CE-22. But I'm wondering if I would find them that different; In other words, would the CE essentially be the SAS without the middle pickup? I understand they're different woods, but are they THAT different?

Anyone have both that could chime in?

It's got me thinking maybe a CE-24 would be better (if I could find one with a W/F neck that is...). I generally prefer 22 fret guitars, but I do love my Santana which is 24, so maybe I'd also love a W/F CE-24, and find it more different...?

I have always liked the CE22 guitars. There are two things that have kept me from buying one. The first is that I have an SAS as well as a CU22. I know the maple neck would add some snap to the sound of the guitar and I think that is a good thing but I am not sure how different it would be from the CU22. The second is that I have not come across one that I really liked, in a condition I liked at a price I was willing to pay at that moment. If I came across a deal on one in great shape in a finish I like, I could still pull the trigger on one.

You're not the only one to wonder this. I was all about a ce22 until I picked up my SAS. I still very much want a ce22, but am holding out until I find my "whale" I missed out on years back. Lol That and honestly I have plenty of humbucker guitars.. What I should be adding is a soapie.

It's got me thinking maybe a CE-24 would be better (if I could find one with a W/F neck that is...). I generally prefer 22 fret guitars, but I do love my Santana which is 24, so maybe I'd also love a W/F CE-24, and find it more different...?

The wide fat neck was never available as a 24 fret. Only wide thin or standard/regular. I’ve had a CE-22 since 1995 and while I don’t own a SAS I’ve played plenty of them and they sound pretty different. I would never tell someone not to get a CE-22. They’re such great guitars.

Last edited:
Back