Have PRS pretty much given up on new 24-fret designs?

Although it seems I own more 22fret PRS Guitars now it's only because I love the sound of the new models. Paul's guitar and Modern Eagle V have 22 frets. I love the 408 TCI pup tones but I sure wish they would make Paul's and MEV with 24 frets. PRS did make a Paul's guitar with 24 frets once it was called Brushstroke 24. I had one but moved it when the MEV's came out. I was going MEV hog wild LOL. How I wish I had that Brushstroke 24 now and wish PRS would upgrade the pups the the new 408 TCI's. I also wish they made a 24 fret version of the 513. Damn good thing there's always the Santana and Cust24 models!!

The other thing is, some of us who grew up playing Les Pauls and ES335's and other Gibson guitars prefer the sound of a neck pickup with the polepieces located under the harmonic where the 24th fret is on a 24 fret guitar.

I'm one of those guys.

To me, a neck humbucker moved an inch towards the middle of the guitar to make room for the 23rd and 24th fret produces a tone I don't like as much.

Clearly it doesn't bother everyone. Doesn't bother Santana!
Indeed. Behold the sensuous beauty of the 24 fret neck position!

Indeed. Behold the sensuous beauty of the 24 fret neck position!

I thought that for years also, but I remember an interview where Paul said everyone thinks that Santana tone for that comes from the back pickup, but it's actually the front with the tone rolled off. I could be wrong, but even in the video the toggle seems to be down. Great sound nonetheless.

I thought that for years also, but I remember an interview where Paul said everyone thinks that Santana tone for that comes from the back pickup, but it's actually the front with the tone rolled off. I could be wrong, but even in the video the toggle seems to be down. Great sound nonetheless.

OK this doesn’t really help, it I thought that this should be shared.

Two mini-toggles here, so quite difficult to see what CS has selected-

SA’s for ever forum member.
YEAH!!!

7aeB7rl.jpg

All 24’s all day for me. Have a few Custom 22‘s for a different taste but and least there’s a kabillion CU24’s out there to choose from on the used market.

Well they have basically have the 24 Fret Custom24 'range' of guitars - Cu24, Cu24-08, Cu24 Floyd and Cu24 Piezo as well as all the Cu24 options down the tiers. Then you have the 'artist' 24 fret models like a Santana, Dustry Waring and Holcomb too so unless another Artist wants a 'different' design, then they have a 'range' of 24fret models that are 'definitively' PRS - from the body shape, to scale length and Radius.

With all those '24' fret models all competing against each other, let alone other 24 fret guitars musicians could buy, it probably doesn't make sense to add another into the line without it being 'Artist' driven - a 'signature' model designed for/by the Artist and likely to 'sell' because of the Artist connection.

If you want something 'specific' and 24 fret, there is the PS route too...

Back