Have PRS pretty much given up on new 24-fret designs?

CivoLee

The last new 24 fret PRS design was the core Mira, and that was a good 15 years ago now. Since then, all of PRS Guitars' new designs have been 22 frets, and when the Mira was downgraded to the cheaper "X" model, it became a 22 fret design, and stayed that way as an S2/SE model.

I've said before that I think part of what makes a PRS design unique is the 24-fret 25" scale neck. I don't like that the Singlecuts are now not only just 24.5 scale with a two piece bridge but that that format has bled over to the McCarty as well (I do know that the original McCarty design is still available and I am grateful for that even if it's not my style of guitar). I think that if Singlecut players want a SC that feels more like a Les Paul, they should just buy a Les Paul and let PRS be PRS.

There are many advantages to having a full two-octave fretboard. It can help the player navigate above the 12th fret when playing leads because they can see a symmetry between the octaves. It also helps playing leads in the keys of A, B or E to be able to just fret the high E instead have having to bend up to it. I personally have a song with an tremolo picked ascending octave part on the 5th and 3rd string that's easier to play up the neck instead of having to switch over to the 4th and 2nd strings. It make the neck pickup useful for more then just legato playing and jazz chords. I know some have complained that it doesn't sound "right" (read: not like it did on records from the 1960s/70s) or that it gets in the way of their picking hand, but these are issues with the player, not the guitar itself.

Some might be glad PRS are embracing tradition more and more. But the PRS guitar design of 1985 did not join the lexicon of iconic solidbody electric guitars alongside the Strat, Telecaster, Jazzmaster/Jaguar, Les Paul, SG, Flying V, Explorer and Firebird by being a superstrat with a fancy wood top or a Les Paul with better upper fret access and a vibrato bar. It was a new, forward-thinking design that combined the best of what had come before while introducing new ideas.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any 22-fret 24.5" scale PRS guitars at all if that's what some people want. But if people think they should bring back the Custom/CE 22, then I say they should also offer production versions of the Studio and 509 with 24 frets.

Last edited:
I have also noticed the lack of 24 fretters in the new models (although I think the DW CE was the latest offering). I don't mind Paul offering whatever we will buy, and if that means a PRS version of LP's and Strats then so be it.

The original CU24 is still offered and that is still a flagship offering, so it isn't like you can't get what you are after. It is completely different and an amazing guitar, just not new. The CE24 is also offered, again, just not new. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The last new 24 fret PRS design was the core Mira, and that was a good 15 years ago now. Since then, all of PRS Guitars' new designs have been 22 frets, and when the Mira was downgraded to the cheaper "X" model, it became a 22 fret design, and stayed that way as an S2/SE model.

I've said before that I think part of what makes a PRS design unique is the 24-fret 25" scale neck. I don't like that the Singlecuts are now not only just 24.5 scale with a two piece bridge but that that format has bled over to the McCarty as well (I do know that the original McCarty design is still available and I am grateful for that even if it's not my style of guitar). I think that if Singlecut players want a SC that feels more like a Les Paul, they should just buy a Les Paul and let PRS be PRS.

There are many advantages to having a full two-octave fretboard. It can help the player navigate above the 12th fret when playing leads because they can see a symmetry between the octaves. It also helps playing leads in the keys of A, B or E to be able to just fret the high E instead have having to bend up to it. I personally have a song with an tremolo picked ascending octave part on the 4th and 2nd string that's easier to play up the neck instead of having to switch over to the 3rd and 5th strings. It make the neck pickup useful for more then just legato playing and jazz chords. I know some have complained that it doesn't sound "right" (read: not like it did on records from the 1960s/70s) or that it gets in the way of their picking hand, but these are issues with the player, not the guitar itself.

Some might be glad PRS are embracing tradition more and more. But the PRS guitar design of 1985 did not join the lexicon of iconic solidbody electric guitars alongside the Strat, Telecaster, Jazzmaster/Jaguar, Les Paul, SG, Flying V, Explorer and Firebird by being a superstrat with a fancy wood top or a Les Paul with better upper fret access and a vibrato bar. It was a new, forward-thinking design that combined the best of what had come before while introducing new ideas.

I'm not saying there should be any 22-fret 24.5" scale PRS guitars at all if that's what some people want. But if people think they should bring back the Custom 22, then I say they should also offer production versions of the Studio and 509 with 24 frets.
By two piece bridge do you mean a tune-o-matic inspired bridge and a separate stop tailpiece?

Personally, I think that sounds better and also is less likely to cause the bridge to tip.

And I can rest my picking hand on the strings between the bridge and tailpiece if I want to.

I've compared both designs on Les Pauls that I've owned and the separate bridge and tailpiece design seemed to produce a tone I liked better than the combination bridge/tailpiece you find on '55 Les Pauls.

The other thing is, some of us who grew up playing Les Pauls and ES335's and other Gibson guitars prefer the sound of a neck pickup with the polepieces located under the harmonic where the 24th fret is on a 24 fret guitar.

I'm one of those guys.

To me, a neck humbucker moved an inch towards the middle of the guitar to make room for the 23rd and 24th fret produces a tone I don't like as much.

Clearly it doesn't bother everyone. Doesn't bother Santana!

Last edited:
They are probably making what the market is buying. I own more than my fair share of PRS guitars. They are all core or special runs that are core or above level. I have exactly one 24 fret guitar in that group of guitars. I prefer the 22 fret models and that is what I have bought the most of.

They are probably making what the market is buying. I own more than my fair share of PRS guitars. They are all core or special runs that are core or above level. I have exactly one 24 fret guitar in that group of guitars. I prefer the 22 fret models and that is what I have bought the most of.
Me too. I only own one 24 fret PRS. But I own a few 22 fret PRS guitars.

I always assumed tho, that the 24 fret guitars were more popular.

Seems like I see more of them.

I just grabbed a CE22. But they're hard to come by. Most are CE24's.

All 24 fret'ers for me. CU24, Mira core and SE CU24 ... with my sites on a CE24. I started out on 24 fret guitars in the late 80's and have always gravitated to having the full 2 octaves. From my Peavey Vandenberg in the 90's to my first PRS's in the early 2000's (still have the vandy too).

I agree with the OP. One of the reasons I lusted after PRS guitars in the 80s was that they offered a winning combo of traditional and modern design and features. I may be in the minority here, but I never looked at PRS as trying to 'replace' what a good G or F could do; I looked at those guitars as their own thing, with their own mojo. Just my $0.02.

While I've built 24 fret neck throughs almost exclusively for the past 25 years , the one design feature that to me effects the choice, and the reason that all my PRS's are 22fret ... 24 fret necks push the neck pickup closer to the bridge and hence have a slightly brighter tone all else being equal. As they years roll on I prefer warmer tones . Some will never really use the extra 2 frets either...

I love the 24 frets just because it puts all of the frets, especially frets 1-12, in a position that I am more comfortable with in my playing conditions. As for why, I am certain it is based on profit margins and not discrimination! I sure wish the ME-V was a 24 fretter as that is most likely my next PRS purchase (although a Vala may sneak in before that)!!

Back