Why doesn't PRS make 24-fret versions of the Studio and 509?

CivoLee

I've discovered that my preferences for complexity in gear are fairly polarized; I like guitars that are tonally flexible and keyboards/synths that have lots of knobs and sliders, but I prefer amps and pedals to be as simple and straightforward as possible. So it stands to reason that I would be drawn to PRS models like the Studio and 509, but I can't really see myself playing either one because they only come in 22-fret versions, and they're way too expensive to justify as secondary instruments.

I get the whole idea about people wanting a "classic' neck position sound, but my group has a few songs where I need the 23rd and 24th frets, plus it helps me visualize the fretboard better to have a full four octaves available. Being PRS guitars, you also lose out on the cool owl on a branch inlay...

It puzzles me why two guitars focused on versatility only have one option for the neck (I know they'd have to change the routing for the pickups as well). It's not like they can't put the 509 or Narrowfield pickups closer together or something.

If you aren’t as particular about the pickups, just grab an OG studio. They are fantastic.

uGCxTJN.jpg

Dave Weiner, former sidekick of Steve Vai, let PRS built him 24 fretted and even 7 string 513.
Private Stock Division is open for all wishes.
There are guitars, which sound with 24 frets good, others with 22. Scale and the respective pickup positions (and the string tension) have an inpact.

Dave Weiner, former sidekick of Steve Vai, let PRS built him 24 fretted and even 7 string 513.
Private Stock Division is open for all wishes.
There are guitars, which sound with 24 frets good, others with 22. Scale and the respective pickup positions (and the string tension) have an inpact.
I'm flattered that you think I have 5 figures to spend on a guitar.

Plus, I thought that until the backlog is cleared (which won't be for a few years at their current rate), the Private Stock options are limited to woods and finishes only with specs being fixed?

Part of the attraction of a 509 or Studio is to be able to offer some 'classic' tones you'd associate with various guitars in a single instrument. For example, the 509 has some Les Paul, Tele and stratty like tones depending on whether you choose to split the HB's. To get those, the pickups need to be in a similar position and distance apart from each other. With a 24 fret guitar, that would push the Neck Pup closer to the bridge pup, changing its tone, and also reducing the space for a 'middle' pickup. You'd get the 'same' options for example but the tones would be quite different and potentially not offering those 'LP/Tele/Strat' like tones in one.

Of course you could get PRS to make a 24fret version through Private Stock, but it depends on whether you are chasing a Guitar that is 'versatile' in the fact it can cover the more 'classic' guitar tones (which were 21/22 fret guitars) or want versatility in the fact it has 9+ different unique tones that are more Cu24 ish than Les Paul or at least provide you with more choice.

Besides, if you wantt the most 'versatile' 24 fret guitar PRS makes, you have the Custom 24-08. The Studio offers '7' options, the Cu24-08 has 8 options, the 509 has 9 options, the Special has 12 and an MeV has 17 but some may sound too similar and not really noticeable in a mix. I assume the reason you don't consider the Cu24-08 as versatile as a Studio/509 is because those others are designed more to have 'several' classic tones in one design where as the Cu24-08 is more like an expansion of the options a Cu24 normally offers but it technically has more unique options than a Studio!

The 509 has vintage voiced coils, the 513 not. The models look similar, but differ relevant in detail. I'm not worrying about my old 513s, they have effective volume controls to rein the galopping horses.

I have wondered since the CU24 has been so successful that they haven't made other 24 fret models or pickup combos in the CU24.
The Santana is another 24 fret option

I have wondered since the CU24 has been so successful that they haven't made other 24 fret models or pickup combos in the CU24.
The Santana is another 24 fret option
They have!
Just in the core line, they have multiple different Custom 24 variations - you have the Regular Custom 24, Cu24-08, Cu24 Floyd and Cu24 Piezo as well as the Santana too as you state. but that's different 24 fret models with the 24-08 being the most 'versatile' offering 8 unique tones, that's 1 more than a Studio offers and 1 less than a 509 but has 24 frets!

Then you also have their 24 fret bolt-on, their S2 & SE models as well as various Signature 24 Fret models like the Dusty Waring and Mark Holcomb Signature 24 fret guitars - All are or can be modded to add more options if really needed on a budget, but you have so many '24 fret' guitars to suit anyone looking for a 'different' flavour 24 fret Guitar.

Buy the Floyd to get a maple neck and \m/ pups for something 'different' or maybe buy the Cu24 Piezo to add somethng extra to any tone and/or be a bit more versatility...

Point is, they have a LOT of different 24 fret models - even if they maybe versions of the 'Regular' Custom 24 they are famous for, but those are 'different' 24 fret guitars - the 08 for more tonal versaatilty, the 'Floyd' for those that want that, the piezo for more versatility too. Any 'new' 24 fret model is only going to be a Cu24 varition or a Custom Order (Signature Model design choice or Private Stock) because they have a lot of 24 fret models at every price point to suit - the Cu24-08 is available at SE level for example offering 'more' versatility than a 'Studio'.

Hmmmmm.......can't say I'd be disappointed to have that studio at my house!

Just don't have anything I'm dying to get rid of.

Monte Hall let's make a deal.

Drawer #1 or drawer #2??????
I mean, this isn’t a “dying to get rid of” kind of guitar.

I had to pony up something really special for it. It’s supposed to hurt.

Back