How would you compare / contrast the DGT and Studio?

Markcarl

I’m pretty new to PRS guitars. My 1st PRS was an SE DGT. At first I wasn’t used to the big frets. Now I wish all my guitars had the jumbo frets. That SE was the gateway drug for me. I was so impressed with it I ended up getting a core DGT and then another core DGT. Some things that I really like about the DGT are:

- The tonal versatility of the guitar. I can get traditional humbucker sounds and more chimey tones with the split coils.

- The simplicity of the controls. There’s only one pull switch to go into coil split mode and one tone control. But, there’s a separate volume for each pickup. I really like this configuration!

- The split coil sounds - especially with both neck and bridge pickup enabled. I can get a lot of different sounds by varying the ratio of the neck volume control and bridge volume control. Right now I’m playing in split coil mode around 90% of the time.

- The PRS tremolo is so much nicer than what I have on my Stratocaster. I don’t really notice a difference between the SE and core tremolo. I know the PRS tremolo isn’t unique to the DGT.

I recently played a PRS Studio model at a local guitar shop and was blown away with the tone of the guitar. The shop has a lot of good guitars and that one was my favorite. I really liked the tone of the narrowfield pickups. I may actually prefer their tone to the split coil sounds on the DGT. I wish I would’ve had a DGT on hand so I could compare them side by side. I went on the PRS website to look at the specs for the Studio guitar. I see now that there is only one volume on the guitar. I kind of wish there was a separate volume for each pickup. I know that’s something I like a lot about the DGT. If the Studio only had two pickups I think having separate volume controls for each pickup would be ideal. Since the Studio has 3 pickups, it may be too messy / cumbersome to have a separate volume control for each pickup?

I know I’m rambling here. Have any of you played the DGT and Studio? If so, how would you compare / contrast these guitars?

If the music store in Rapid City still has the Studio, I plan to go back with a DGT to do a side by side comparison.

Last edited:
I can let you know next week. My Studio is showing up here today. I have had a DGT for over a decade and like that guitar quite a bit. I decided to take a chance on the Studio after reading and watching a bunch of videos. I have typically stayed away from the narrowfield pickups just because I can't change them if I don't like them. However, I have read a number of posts where people say they are actually nice and have a nice chime to them and work well in this guitar. I heard a few videos where they were on the neck pickup and I liked that tone a lot. I decided to pull the trigger and see for myself.

The DGT offers tonal versatility with humbucker and split coil sounds, while the Studio boasts unique narrowfield pickups. The DGT has simpler controls with separate volume knobs for each pickup, while the Studio has only one volume control. The writer prefers the DGT's split coil sounds, but is impressed with the Studio's tone and wishes for separate volume controls for a more ideal configuration.

I can't speak for anyone else's taste, but I really like the Narrowfields in the neck and middle position. I don't have a Studio, but I have a PS with a Narrowfield in the middle and two Paul's Guitar pickups at the neck and bridge.

I've played the Studio and like it a lot. I also have a DGT. If you're considering the Studio, you might want to hang onto the DGT anyway, because they're different enough that both guitars would be a killer one-two punch.

I have guitars with two volume controls and with one volume control. I'm good either way.

I can't speak for anyone else's taste, but I really like the Narrowfields in the neck and middle position. I don't have a Studio, but I have a PS with a Narrowfield in the middle and two Paul's Guitar pickups at the neck and bridge.

I've played the Studio and like it a lot. I also have a DGT. If you're considering the Studio, you might want to hang onto the DGT anyway, because they're different enough that both guitars would be a killer one-two punch.

I have guitars with two volume controls and with one volume control. I'm good either way.

Yes, I really like the narrowfields - especially with clean tones. I’m about to pull the trigger on a Studio and will be keeping the DGTs. I’ve grown to like the larger frets on the DGT and I love the tones I can get out of them. The sound of the Studio’s narrowfield neck and middle pickups is a lot different than the split coil tones from the DGT. They both sound great. I think the Studio narrowfield pickups have more of a strat like sound. I’ve got an old Stratocaster and Les Paul. The Les Paul weighs 11 pounds! I enjoy playing the PRS guitars more and think the DGT and Studio can get similar sounds to these guitars.

The narrowfields are not bad. I still prefer a single coil in the neck and middle. However, the narrowfields offer something different than a single coil or a full size humbucker. I like the neck pickup with low gain or clean. Same with the middle. I have honestly become okay with the bridge humbucker. I bought a 57/08 because I just knew I was going to want to change it and they were on sale. I am not so sure about that now.

The narrowfields are not bad. I still prefer a single coil in the neck and middle. However, the narrowfields offer something different than a single coil or a full size humbucker. I like the neck pickup with low gain or clean. Same with the middle. I have honestly become okay with the bridge humbucker. I bought a 57/08 because I just knew I was going to want to change it and they were on sale. I am not so sure about that now.

I got my Studio yesterday! I've been playing it a lot. I'll report back after I've had more settling time. Here are my initial takeaways:

The guitar is relatively light at 7 lbs 10 oz. My other core guitars around 8 lbs 4 oz. I love the sound of the neck pickup and the sound of the bridge pickup and middle pickup together (switch position 2) for clean tones.

Here's a pic of the new guitar!:

Another pic next to the DGTs:

I am still putting play time on my Studio pretty much every day. I have been going through phases of hitting the middle pickup with my pick and other times I have no issues. I am not sure why it has been an issue for me occasionally. Yesterday I was focusing on choking up on the pick a little more to have less of it exposed to stop me from digging deep enough to hit it.

I am still putting play time on my Studio pretty much every day. I have been going through phases of hitting the middle pickup with my pick and other times I have no issues. I am not sure why it has been an issue for me occasionally. Yesterday I was focusing on choking up on the pick a little more to have less of it exposed to stop me from digging deep enough to hit it.

Thanks for posting. Do you notice hitting the middle pickup with the pick happening more when lead playing or playing chords? I asked Paul Drew from the Studio Rats how he was getting on with his studio and he said he couldn’t get used to his pick hitting the middle pickup so eventually sold it.

Yesterday I noticed my pick hitting the middle pickup a few times when I was playing leads. I’ve only had the guitar for a few days so it’s too early to tell how much of an issue it will be for me.

The only other 3 pickup guitar I own is a Stratocaster. I’ve noticed hitting the middle pickup on that guitar but it doesn’t happen often. I’ve been spending time going between playing on the Stratocaster and the Studio. Robert Plant’s “Big Log” song has a great Strat tone with switch position 2 (bridge and middle pickup). I can get a similar tone on the studio with position 2.

Thanks for posting. Do you notice hitting the middle pickup with the pick happening more when lead playing or playing chords? I asked Paul Drew from the Studio Rats how he was getting on with his studio and he said he couldn’t get used to his pick hitting the middle pickup so eventually sold it.

Yesterday I noticed my pick hitting the middle pickup a few times when I was playing leads. I’ve only had the guitar for a few days so it’s too early to tell how much of an issue it will be for me.

The only other 3 pickup guitar I own is a Stratocaster. I’ve noticed hitting the middle pickup on that guitar but it doesn’t happen often. I’ve been spending time going between playing on the Stratocaster and the Studio. Robert Plant’s “Big Log” song has a great Strat tone with switch position 2 (bridge and middle pickup). I can get a similar tone on the studio with position 2.
It is when playing lead or double stops mostly. My main guitar for a good while now is an HSS. I have several guitars with this pickup configuration. I really like them for cover band work. I also have a core SAS. I don't have the issue hitting the middle pickup on any of these guitars or my strats. I believe the reason for that is all of the other guitars I have with a middle pickup in them are bolt on necks. There is more room between the strings and the pickups. All of the others also have a true single coil in the middle which is a bit narrower than the narrowfield. If I put my palm where it is comfortable for me on the bridge, that is where I seem to be hitting it. If I move slightly forward or backward a little, I don't hit it. That hand position isn't my normal anchoring so it feels strange. I have had spells where I hit it a lot and times when I don't seem to hit it much at all.

I played my Studio more today for lunch. I was hitting the middle pickup again. I lowered it down to where the sides of it are even with the pickup ring. It wasn't much above that, maybe the thickness of the top bobbin. It helped a little but I am still hitting it somewhat frequently. I put the guitar next to the HSS guitar I play the most. The middle pickup is in a different position on the PRS. It is a little more forward towards the neck pickup than on my other guitar. I am sure part of this is that the other guitar is a longer scale length. There is also more room between the pickup and the strings on my other guitar. I truly believe this is due to the other guitar being a bolt on neck. I don't know why this wasn't an issue for me last week but is seeming to be a constant issue for me this week.

Very interesting.
I played my Studio more today for lunch. I was hitting the middle pickup again. I lowered it down to where the sides of it are even with the pickup ring. It wasn't much above that, maybe the thickness of the top bobbin. It helped a little but I am still hitting it somewhat frequently. I put the guitar next to the HSS guitar I play the most. The middle pickup is in a different position on the PRS. It is a little more forward towards the neck pickup than on my other guitar. I am sure part of this is that the other guitar is a longer scale length. There is also more room between the pickup and the strings on my other guitar. I truly believe this is due to the other guitar being a bolt on neck. I don't know why this wasn't an issue for me last week but is seeming to be a constant issue for me this week.
Thanks for your note. It’s interesting how the set vs. bolt on neck, pickup height and location relate to the issue you’re seeing.

I’m still in the honeymoon phase with the Studio. I love the sounds I’ve been getting with the Studio and the DGTs. So far, I haven’t had many cases where my pick has hit the middle pickup and it hasn’t been problematic for me. I like the “quack” like tone of the bridge and middle pickup together and so far that outweighs any concerns about the middle pickup interfering with my picking. Hopefully, that will remain the case as I get more playing time.

The DGT opened my eyes to the flexibility you get when a humbucker has a good coil tap. Now I think I want that in any guitar with regular humbuckers. I have an old Les Paul with a DiMarzio super distortion and Bill Lawrence L90 XL pickup. Those are both really hot pickups and neither of them are wired for coil tapping. I’ve decided to have that guitar upgraded to Fishman Fluence Classic humbuckers which have coil taps.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

Thanks for your note. It’s interesting how the set vs. bolt on neck, pickup height and location relate to the issue you’re seeing.

I’m still in the honeymoon phase with the Studio. I love the sounds I’ve been getting with the Studio and the DGTs. So far, I haven’t had many cases where my pick has hit the middle pickup and it hasn’t been problematic for me. I like the “quack” like tone of the bridge and middle pickup together and so far that outweighs any concerns about the middle pickup interfering with my picking. Hopefully, that will remain the case as I get more playing time.

The DGT opened my eyes to the flexibility you get when a humbucker has a good coil tap. Now I think I want that in any guitar with regular humbuckers. I have an old Les Paul with a DiMarzio super distortion and Bill Lawrence L90 XL pickup. Those are both really hot pickups and neither of them are wired for coil tapping. I’ve decided to have that guitar upgraded to Fishman Fluence Classic humbuckers which have coil taps.
I didn't have this issue with hitting the middle pickup when I first got the Studio. It seems like it has really become much worse since late last week. I am not sure what has changed. Or maybe I was paying attention to other things and just didn't notice it until then. I have been playing it unplugged a lot. Maybe that is what brought it to my attention.

I have the Studio and my DGT out and on the stand together. I have been playing both of them as well as my 594 a lot. The taps on my 594 are super useful. I am very impressed with how good they are. I put the resistors in my CU22 and SAS to make them work more like the DGT and 594. I would highly recommend doing that on any guitar that has the ability to split the humbucker.

I didn't have this issue with hitting the middle pickup when I first got the Studio. It seems like it has really become much worse since late last week. I am not sure what has changed. Or maybe I was paying attention to other things and just didn't notice it until then. I have been playing it unplugged a lot. Maybe that is what brought it to my attention.

I have the Studio and my DGT out and on the stand together. I have been playing both of them as well as my 594 a lot. The taps on my 594 are super useful. I am very impressed with how good they are. I put the resistors in my CU22 and SAS to make them work more like the DGT and 594. I would highly recommend doing that on any guitar that has the ability to split the humbucker.
I hardly ever play my old Les Paul. After I got my SE DGT I played the Les Paul even less frequently. My Les Paul is a 70s Norlin era Gibson that weighs 11 lbs. My PRS guitars are well balanced, comfortable to play, stay in tune, and are more versatile tonally. Having the DGT/594 style coil tap and narrow fields on the Studio is a huge benefit.

I’m hopeful I’ll start playing rbe Les Paul again with the new Fishman Fluence Classic pickups. I’d rather have a 594 but this will hopefully get me close to that in terms of tonal versatility. I’m going to add a phase inverter push / pull to a volume knob so I can selectively put the neck and bridge pickups out of phase with each other. The pickups already come with push / pull pots for coil tapping and for selecting between classic / modern mode.

That’s cool that you did the resistor mod to your other PRS guitars to get the DGT/594 style coil tap. I’d never heard of this before getting the DGT. I’m surprised it’s not more common.

Back