Played a PRS Studio today

Markcarl

I went to Haggerty’s music in Rapid City today to check out some guitars. They had a brand new Studio model that I got to try out. It was the first time I’ve played a Studio and the first time I’ve played with the near field pickups. I was blown away by the guitar. I really like the way it played and sounded. There was no hum with the near field pickups but they sounded similar to single coils. The studio had a pull pot to get a split coil sound on the bridge pickup.

I’ve got DGT guitars and I use the split coil sounds a lot on these guitars. I didn’t have a DGT with me but the sounds I got on the neck and middle pickup of the Studio sounded different from the sounds I get on the DGTs - maybe closer to the sound of single coils? I do prefer the larger frets on the DGT to the frets on the Studio. I think the Studio is a different sounding guitar than the DGT and would be a good contrast to my current guitars. I have a feeling the Studio will be my next PRS guitar. Someday…

I haven't played them but I've only heard great things about the NF pickups. I'd like to get another core model someday and it will be a tough choice between DGT or Studio.

I got a new Studio about 2 months ago. I rate it right up there with my Collings and Grosh.
The NFs are like beefier singlecoils, and the Low Turn HB is perfect for this guitar. The trem bridge is a joy and feels smooth under my palm. Mine is a solid color in Antique White, with the natural maple top only visible as binding.
The middle pu felt "in the way" during picking, (like a strat), but I've adjusted to it well enough.
Totally a winner of a guitar. Not cheap, but worth it!

I got a new Studio about 2 months ago. I rate it right up there with my Collings and Grosh.
The NFs are like beefier singlecoils, and the Low Turn HB is perfect for this guitar. The trem bridge is a joy and feels smooth under my palm. Mine is a solid color in Antique White, with the natural maple top only visible as binding.
The middle pu felt "in the way" during picking, (like a strat), but I've adjusted to it well enough.
Totally a winner of a guitar. Not cheap, but worth it!
Is that your real last name? Because, we already have a forum Shagmore here, so... hey, are you related to Sergio?

Here’s a link to a video where Paul Drew compares a PRS Studio with a Stratocaster, Les Paul, and DGT.

Here’s another video where he just talks about the Studio:

Paul reminds me of Pete Thorn. He makes everything sound good.

Another demo by the amazing guitarist Buddy Blues:

I asked him to compare / contrast his Studio with his DGT. Here’s his response: “Whole different ball game, the studio compares more to an HSS strat, whereas the DGT is more Les Paul / ES335”.

Last edited:
The 2024 vela introduced me to the narrow fields. I was blown away. Loved them as single coils. So spanky and great in the neck position. So I hunted down a 2011 Studio stoptail version. Wow. The best HSS I have ever played for hum free in all positions. 🔥 More versatile than the Pauls or 2024 24-08 in my opinion
I will install a 59/09 in the bridge. It will complete the look and give that bridge a little more oomph.

The 2024 vela introduced me to the narrow fields. I was blown away. Loved them as single coils. So spanky and great in the neck position. So I hunted down a 2011 Studio stoptail version. Wow. The best HSS I have ever played for hum free in all positions. 🔥 More versatile than the Pauls or 2024 24-08 in my opinion
I will install a 59/09 in the bridge. It will complete the look and give that bridge a little more oomph.
What pickup is in it now? I would caution you about getting a pickup that is too much hotter than the narrowfields in there. It will affect how it blends with the middle narrofield.

I didn’t believe a 59/09 was that much hotter than 57/08. Certainly I wouldn’t try sticking a \m/, JB, or something super hot. But I figure a little more hotter should be ok. The narrow fields are quite loud when played clean. Much louder than 57/08. I even lowered them a hair compared to PRS spec and raised the 57/08.

I simply love these narrow fields so much. Incredible in the vela and studio! I’m really surprised the studio isn’t more popular. I know proprietary pickup size is probably the issue. I haven’t measured quite yet but are they the same size as a mini humbucker or firebird? Not that I want to replace them.

Back