Played a PRS Studio today

Markcarl

I went to Haggerty’s music in Rapid City today to check out some guitars. They had a brand new Studio model that I got to try out. It was the first time I’ve played a Studio and the first time I’ve played with the near field pickups. I was blown away by the guitar. I really like the way it played and sounded. There was no hum with the near field pickups but they sounded similar to single coils. The studio had a pull pot to get a split coil sound on the bridge pickup.

I’ve got DGT guitars and I use the split coil sounds a lot on these guitars. I didn’t have a DGT with me but the sounds I got on the neck and middle pickup of the Studio sounded different from the sounds I get on the DGTs - maybe closer to the sound of single coils? I do prefer the larger frets on the DGT to the frets on the Studio. I think the Studio is a different sounding guitar than the DGT and would be a good contrast to my current guitars. I have a feeling the Studio will be my next PRS guitar. Someday…

I haven't played them but I've only heard great things about the NF pickups. I'd like to get another core model someday and it will be a tough choice between DGT or Studio.

I got a new Studio about 2 months ago. I rate it right up there with my Collings and Grosh.
The NFs are like beefier singlecoils, and the Low Turn HB is perfect for this guitar. The trem bridge is a joy and feels smooth under my palm. Mine is a solid color in Antique White, with the natural maple top only visible as binding.
The middle pu felt "in the way" during picking, (like a strat), but I've adjusted to it well enough.
Totally a winner of a guitar. Not cheap, but worth it!

I got a new Studio about 2 months ago. I rate it right up there with my Collings and Grosh.
The NFs are like beefier singlecoils, and the Low Turn HB is perfect for this guitar. The trem bridge is a joy and feels smooth under my palm. Mine is a solid color in Antique White, with the natural maple top only visible as binding.
The middle pu felt "in the way" during picking, (like a strat), but I've adjusted to it well enough.
Totally a winner of a guitar. Not cheap, but worth it!
Is that your real last name? Because, we already have a forum Shagmore here, so... hey, are you related to Sergio?

Here’s a link to a video where Paul Drew compares a PRS Studio with a Stratocaster, Les Paul, and DGT.

Here’s another video where he just talks about the Studio:

Paul reminds me of Pete Thorn. He makes everything sound good.

Another demo by the amazing guitarist Buddy Blues:

I asked him to compare / contrast his Studio with his DGT. Here’s his response: “Whole different ball game, the studio compares more to an HSS strat, whereas the DGT is more Les Paul / ES335”.

Last edited:
The 2024 vela introduced me to the narrow fields. I was blown away. Loved them as single coils. So spanky and great in the neck position. So I hunted down a 2011 Studio stoptail version. Wow. The best HSS I have ever played for hum free in all positions. 🔥 More versatile than the Pauls or 2024 24-08 in my opinion
I will install a 59/09 in the bridge. It will complete the look and give that bridge a little more oomph.

The 2024 vela introduced me to the narrow fields. I was blown away. Loved them as single coils. So spanky and great in the neck position. So I hunted down a 2011 Studio stoptail version. Wow. The best HSS I have ever played for hum free in all positions. 🔥 More versatile than the Pauls or 2024 24-08 in my opinion
I will install a 59/09 in the bridge. It will complete the look and give that bridge a little more oomph.
What pickup is in it now? I would caution you about getting a pickup that is too much hotter than the narrowfields in there. It will affect how it blends with the middle narrofield.

I didn’t believe a 59/09 was that much hotter than 57/08. Certainly I wouldn’t try sticking a \m/, JB, or something super hot. But I figure a little more hotter should be ok. The narrow fields are quite loud when played clean. Much louder than 57/08. I even lowered them a hair compared to PRS spec and raised the 57/08.

I simply love these narrow fields so much. Incredible in the vela and studio! I’m really surprised the studio isn’t more popular. I know proprietary pickup size is probably the issue. I haven’t measured quite yet but are they the same size as a mini humbucker or firebird? Not that I want to replace them.

I didn’t realize PRS changed the output of the newer narrow fields
The early 2010’s studio version with 57/08 bridge has a measurement in the low 8k ohms. The newer one with 58/15 LT has 6.6k measurements.

I didn’t believe a 59/09 was that much hotter than 57/08. Certainly I wouldn’t try sticking a \m/, JB, or something super hot. But I figure a little more hotter should be ok. The narrow fields are quite loud when played clean. Much louder than 57/08. I even lowered them a hair compared to PRS spec and raised the 57/08.

I simply love these narrow fields so much. Incredible in the vela and studio! I’m really surprised the studio isn’t more popular. I know proprietary pickup size is probably the issue. I haven’t measured quite yet but are they the same size as a mini humbucker or firebird? Not that I want to replace them.
I originally stayed away from the Studio due to the proprietary narrowfield pickups in them. I finally decided last year to give one a try. I am glad I did. I really like the guitar I have.

I didn’t realize PRS changed the output of the newer narrow fields
The early 2010’s studio version with 57/08 bridge has a measurement in the low 8k ohms. The newer one with 58/15 LT has 6.6k measurements.
I think they did that to match them with the 58/15 LT pickup in the bridge. I just measured min and they both measured at 6.88k. They balance well with the 58/15 LT in the bridge.

I actually ordered a 57/08 for the bridge when I ordered the guitar with the intent of swapping the pickup. As it turns out, I received a 57/08 pickup that was lower than spec so I had to send it back for a replacement. In the time it took to get the replacement I played with adjusting the 58/15 LT in the guitar and after some playing and tweaking I found a spot where it is performing well and meshes well with the narrowfields. I was concerned about it having a volume drop off compared to my other guitars. That is why I swapped the pickups out of my 594. This pickup doesn't have that issue. I am pleasantly surprised by this.

I agree. They matched the output of the LT on the newer version. Otherwise the narrow fields would have crushed in terms of output.

The 2011 version has the possibility to swap bridge pickups for vintage hot outputs since the narrow fields are hotter. 57/08, 59/09, and regular 58/15 (not LT) should work.

The newer one can be swapped for more vintage PAFs if desired.

Or leave them stock. But I feel this is helpful info for anybody looking into the studios. They are incredible guitars. I’m still blown away by mine

I put a 59/09 in my 2011 Studio. Sounded awesome!

Back