Why doesn't PRS make 24-fret versions of the Studio and 509?

They have!
Just in the core line, they have multiple different Custom 24 variations - you have the Regular Custom 24, Cu24-08, Cu24 Floyd and Cu24 Piezo as well as the Santana too as you state. but that's different 24 fret models with the 24-08 being the most 'versatile' offering 8 unique tones, that's 1 more than a Studio offers and 1 less than a 509 but has 24 frets!

Then you also have their 24 fret bolt-on, their S2 & SE models as well as various Signature 24 Fret models like the Dusty Waring and Mark Holcomb Signature 24 fret guitars - All are or can be modded to add more options if really needed on a budget, but you have so many '24 fret' guitars to suit anyone looking for a 'different' flavour 24 fret Guitar.

Buy the Floyd to get a maple neck and \m/ pups for something 'different' or maybe buy the Cu24 Piezo to add somethng extra to any tone and/or be a bit more versatility...

Point is, they have a LOT of different 24 fret models - even if they maybe versions of the 'Regular' Custom 24 they are famous for, but those are 'different' 24 fret guitars - the 08 for more tonal versaatilty, the 'Floyd' for those that want that, the piezo for more versatility too. Any 'new' 24 fret model is only going to be a Cu24 varition or a Custom Order (Signature Model design choice or Private Stock) because they have a lot of 24 fret models at every price point to suit - the Cu24-08 is available at SE level for example offering 'more' versatility than a 'Studio'.
Not really that different in my eyes, just minor variations and I've owned a few , I guess what I was saying is 24 fret wise its pretty much 2 humbuckers with different switching options , I think the OP and I were talking about an HSH or a Special Semi Hollow like layout or a SSH like the Fiore would be fun or a Single Cut or an offset like the Vela . I owned a Brushstroke 24 ( 24 fret Pauls guitar ) something like the MEV in 24 frets with the bigger 408 humbucker would be really something also. There has been a bunch more variety in 22 fret pickup layouts , body shapes

If you aren’t as particular about the pickups, just grab an OG studio. They are fantastic.

uGCxTJN.jpg
If I found one of those in 22 frets in really good condition, I may have to own it.

Really? Not free designing the personal PRS? Than I apologize my words.
Yeah, they’re pretty strict with choices now. You can get all the flashy stuff, good woods, and all that. You just have to stick to the Core platform, so to speak. In other words, you couldn’t spec a Santana with a two piece bridge, and Paul’s pick ups, with a Pattern Vintage neck carve.

That's turns me off.
Good that my Core PRSi satisfy me.

But Tremonti's Stella with 513 pickups and electric, and a milled area under the vintage vibrato for uprouting would be a reason to me to ask for a PS.

Years ago at a clinic I heard Paul state that the only reason he keeps the Custom 24 in the lineup is market demand. Otherwise he would have dropped it as he prefers 22 fret necks.

That being said, I love my Custom 24 and am glad he was convinced to keep it around.

Years ago at a clinic I heard Paul state that the only reason he keeps the Custom 24 in the lineup is market demand. Otherwise he would have dropped it as he prefers 22 fret necks.

That being said, I love my Custom 24 and am glad he was convinced to keep it around.
Then why did he make the OG PRS Standard/Custom exclusively 24 frets for the first 10 or so years of its existence? Chasing the shred trend?

And I don't buy this nonsense of only being able to get a muddy classic neck tone on a 22-fret guitar. Use your tone knob(s). I can get a pretty good "American Woman" tone on my 1992 Standard by rolling off about halfway.

Last edited:
Not really that different in my eyes, just minor variations and I've owned a few , I guess what I was saying is 24 fret wise its pretty much 2 humbuckers with different switching options , I think the OP and I were talking about an HSH or a Special Semi Hollow like layout or a SSH like the Fiore would be fun or a Single Cut or an offset like the Vela . I owned a Brushstroke 24 ( 24 fret Pauls guitar ) something like the MEV in 24 frets with the bigger 408 humbucker would be really something also. There has been a bunch more variety in 22 fret pickup layouts , body shapes
I'd like to see the Fatback become a regular model.

Then why did he make the OG PRS Standard/Custom exclusively 24 frets for the first 10 or so years of its existence? Chasing the shred trend?

And I don't buy this nonsense of only being able to get a muddy classic neck tone on a 24-fret guitar. Use your tone knob(s). I can get a pretty good "American Woman" tone on my 1992 Standard by rolling off about halfway.

His opinion evolved to favor more classic golden era tones.

Back