SE 24 08 fret height question

Spudman

I recently received a new SE 24 08, and it seems like there is very little height to the frets. Is this the way they all come? I ordered it from a large reputable online seller because where I live those guitars don't exist.

My fingers dig into the fretboard when bending and it's difficult to get under the string. I have over 70 other guitars including a SE 24 Standard and SE Tremonti Custom, and none of these have frets so low that I'm always pounding, and dragging on the fretboard with my fingertips. I've been playing professionally a long time so I'm familiar with good feeling and functioning guitars.

I'm just wondering - did I get a guitar that the frets were over zealously leveled at the factory?

The first two photos are the guitar in question. The final photo is my SE STD24 for comparison.

IMG-0011.jpg

IMG-0010.jpg

Standard SE 24
IMG-0011.jpg

Last edited:
They do look low in comparison.

The fret ends look very rounded as well.

Is this something that you could resolve within the return window of the guitar, to the dealer?

Is this something that you could resolve within the return window of the guitar, to the dealer?

I most certainly can do that. I love the neck dimensions on it and the way it sounds. It's just that it's hard to play my style on it because of this issue.

I have a new SE DGT that will be here next week. I ordered it back in June, and they finally came back in stock. I've heard that the frets are taller on that guitar so I might not have that issue with it, but I'm torn because I really like the 24 08.

I'm appreciative of any input, and I know there are a lot of satisfied 24 08 owners here.

I'd say those frets looked worked on to me. Definitely different. I wonder, does the dealer in question do plek work? Is it a possible return? Not saying it's either of those, but throwing out ideas.

They certainly do. Thanks for that.

Pleased to be of help. These were taken from a UK seller from eBay and it looks like the actual instrument for sale.

I'd say those frets looked worked on to me. Definitely different. I wonder, does the dealer in question do plek work? Is it a possible return? Not saying it's either of those, but throwing out ideas.

I was thinking the same thing.

They actually do, but I can't imagine them doing that without me asking for it. It takes time and $ to do it.
Anyway, it's certainly frustrating to do most bends with. I'll definitely consider returning it.

They actually do, but I can't imagine them doing that without me asking for it. It takes time and $ to do it.
Anyway, it's certainly frustrating to do most bends with. I'll definitely consider returning it.
Who knows what a guitar goes through before us, guess even new? I'd personally return it. And I don't say that often.

Back