Do any of you guys simply gravitate to 22 fret guitars??

I definitely favor 22 frets over 24. I think there are a few reasons but I can't say for sure that they really factor in. I just like the feel and sound of a 22 fret guitar better.

Yes, I had a custom 22 hardtail and my CE22 trem, I preferred.
Apples and oranges (regarding lively) Something with bolt on/set neck, maple/mahogany neck, even some mahogany/alder body etc. Might be the nature of the instrument itself. Thst being said: my old CE24 did sound a little more springy than my CU24.

The best playing guitar I ever owned was an old CE24. But I could never get used to 24 frets. Don’t own it anymore. All of my guitars are 22 fret. Others opinions may differ.

The best playing guitar I ever owned was an old CE24. But I could never get used to 24 frets. Don’t own it anymore. All of my guitars are 22 fret. Others opinions may differ.
This seems very strange to me... I can't imagine selling the "best playing guitar I ever owned" because it has two extra frets, way up where if I don't like them I just don't go up there. What bothered you enough about them to make you sell the best playing guitar you ever owned?

I need a 23 fret guitar… all of mine are 21,22, and 24. It’s a void in my life.
Maybe need a PRS 'Sourcerers Apprentice' to have 27 frets as well...

I don't understand how the extra frets make a difference. I don't play that far up the neck in general on ANY guitar but it certainly doesn't make any difference to me when playing. All the chords and notes I do play are all still on the 24 fret guitar and even all the fret markers and side-dots are on exactly the same frets as 21/22 fret guitars - in fact they even if have the same Fret Markers on the Same frets so the fact the 24 has an owl doesn't confuse me. I can pplay ALL the same songs on my Custom 24 as I play on my 22 fret guitars like my 594 or Special.

I really do struggle to see how it matters. I can totally understand if someone says the 24fret changes the range of tones because of Neck Pickup position and where its situated under the strings and prefer the 22fret 'tones', but it really makes no diffference if a guitar only had 20frets for example or 24. In fact, only 1 or 2 'solos' I may play go above the 20th fret anyway.

Each to their own of course but I am interested to hear why you couldn't get used to a 24fret guitar - especially when you consider it the best playing guitar you owned.

I need a 23 fret guitar… all of mine are 21, 22, and 24. It’s a void in my life.
Some older 80s/90s Peavey guitars had some 23 fret models. I've come across a couple.
l5ya58r5wmd91.jpg

Maybe need a PRS 'Sourcerers Apprentice' to have 27 frets as well...

I don't understand how the extra frets make a difference. I don't play that far up the neck in general on ANY guitar but it certainly doesn't make any difference to me when playing. All the chords and notes I do play are all still on the 24 fret guitar and even all the fret markers and side-dots are on exactly the same frets as 21/22 fret guitars - in fact they even if have the same Fret Markers on the Same frets so the fact the 24 has an owl doesn't confuse me. I can pplay ALL the same songs on my Custom 24 as I play on my 22 fret guitars like my 594 or Special.

I really do struggle to see how it matters. I can totally understand if someone says the 24fret changes the range of tones because of Neck Pickup position and where its situated under the strings and prefer the 22fret 'tones', but it really makes no diffference if a guitar only had 20frets for example or 24. In fact, only 1 or 2 'solos' I may play go above the 20th fret anyway.

Each to their own of course but I am interested to hear why you couldn't get used to a 24fret guitar - especially when you consider it the best playing guitar you owned.
For me it is different. If I switch from by CU22 to my CU24, which I used to do at gigs, the neck feels slightly longer. I found that if I push the guitar a little to my right it was easier to adjust to it. I know the scale length is the same on them. I am not sure if the bridge is a little farther toward the front end of the guitar or what makes the neck feel a little longer but it is definitely something I notice when going straight from the CU22 to the CU24. I have a 22 fret Suhr as well as a 24 fret Suhr but they are not the same model and I don't think I have ever gone from one to the other. I don't take the 24 fret guitars out much. I had planned on selling all of them but have not made it around to doing that.

Back