What is your deal breaker?

Holy crap.... What a bunch of girls. If it sounds great, why would there ever be a "deal breaker"? I don't get it. Try not to be a guitar snob.

:p

Bwahahahaha!!!!
I'll admit to having preferences, and one of them is to avoid the Floyd. I had one and ended up hating it.

Floyd
Polka dot (like the Buddy Guy strat)
Relic (I am not 100% sure about this, but I don't get the point of relic stuff ... it's like buying a Olympics gold medal)

Relic (I am not 100% sure about this, but I don't get the point of relic stuff ... it's like buying a Olympics gold medal)

They're on my "must miss" list, too. I don't diss 'em, I just don't get it.

They're on my "must miss" list, too. I don't diss 'em, I just don't get it.

Yeah, but it seems like it's becoming almost the rule for some kind of guitars. I was looking at the Suhr Classic specs today and, from my understanding, if you want the lacquer and the ML pick-ups, you have to get the Antique, which are all relic. You cannot get the same specs without them being relic. And also Fender Custom seems to have more relic than not. I think I could accept Gibson VOS, if they really are not shiny but without ding nor rust.

Yeah, but it seems like it's becoming almost the rule for some kind of guitars. I was looking at the Suhr Classic specs today and, from my understanding, if you want the lacquer and the ML pick-ups, you have to get the Antique, which are all relic. You cannot get the same specs without them being relic. And also Fender Custom seems to have more relic than not. I think I could accept Gibson VOS, if they really are not shiny but without ding nor rust.

Then vote with your wallet and get something else!

This isn't all that hard. There are lots of really superb guitar choices in this marketplace.

Incidentally, John Suhr himself feels that on his guitars, there is no audible difference between nitro and poly finishes if the thicknesses are the same. He posted an opinion to this effect somewhere that I read.

Last edited:
I want easy access to the trussrod.Old vintage style Fenders won't do it for me.With 2 humbuckers I want two volume knobs.The only thing I don't like with my DGT is the fretends but it wasn't a deal breaker because the guitar sounds and feels so good.From playing PRS foe some years now I reAlly love a push in trembar so that's a deal breaker for me now.I love tremolos but hate screw in trembars.Also from playing PRS ,ergonomics are important to me.PRS guitars feels great to play both sitting down or standing up,very balanced.Not a deal breaker but the PRS tuners are the best I've tried.Basically I'm turning into a PRS snob that likes the Fender Clapton model too :)

Last edited:
Deal breaker? No neck pickup. Pointy/droopy '80's-style headstock. Floyd. Skinny neck. I'm not an '80's guy, can you tell? Used to be, a Bigsby was a deal breaker too, but they've got that Spoiler string mount available now, so I might be able to change strings on a Bigsby in under three hours...but I still don't have one!
And I don't like "relic" finishes either, unless it's from actual playing wear.

Holy crap.... What a bunch of girls. If it sounds great, why would there ever be a "deal breaker"? I don't get it. Try not to be a guitar snob.

:p

Well, if we were to combine two topics and veer off onto the subject of 'deal breakers involving girls', my first one in that department would be: If a girl has more tattoos than the number of days in the year, she ain't for me. Not saying it's wrong, not saying it should be forbidden... Just saying I don't get it. You meet a young lady, you hit it off, things seem promising, you go back to her place, she takes off her jacket... and Boom! You're looking at (A) a land relief map of the Northern Hemisphere, and (B) the story of her dead Uncle Hubert's life told in frolicing Disney cartoon characters!

As I said, I don't get it.

Goldtop - No thread hijack intended. Please accept my apologies.

For me its the relic thing, if I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on a guitar I want it to be immaculate. the fact that I'll only end up battering them about is irrelevant, at least then its my damage and not someone else's. That said, a friend at work has a peter green les paul copy that has been "aged" the same as his and its quite impressive the lengths they've gone to to make it look exactly like his, still not for me though.

Also I'm surprised the lack of people mentioning EMG's, they normally get a lot of hate thrown at them over the internet.

It´s an absolutely interesting question asking for individual deal breakers.
To my personal opinion a deal breaker is a certain impact which cuts into a nearly finalized acquisition likewise an information you get about the seller or the property to be sold (f.e. unreliable behaviour or a reticent malfunction).

Wrong specs aren´t deal breakers for me. But those have been stated by every precursors of my post.
(In my eyes this is a wrong perception of the question or the question has been verbalized not specific enough. Of course I´m not a native speaker, maybe I´m off the track with my interpretation of semantics.)

If I´m about to purchase a guitar I´ll define my specs, then I´ll check traders for the best ratio of offer and pricing.

I'll go with flat radius fretboards. I remember picking up a Torero once and just saying...ughhhh. One reason I couldn't order a Holcomb. I like the rest of the specs a lot, just can't go flat.

Well, if we were to combine two topics and veer off onto the subject of 'deal breakers involving girls', my first one in that department would be: If a girl has more tattoos than the number of days in the year, she ain't for me. Not saying it's wrong, not saying it should be forbidden... Just saying I don't get it. You meet a young lady, you hit it off, things seem promising, you go back to her place, she takes off her jacket... and Boom! You're looking at (A) a land relief map of the Northern Hemisphere, and (B) the story of her dead Uncle Hubert's life told in frolicing Disney cartoon characters!

As I said, I don't get it.

Goldtop - No thread hijack intended. Please accept my apologies.

You are a funny man!

I want easy access to the trussrod.

Good point I hadn't thought about. IMO EBMM has the best design for this. Although I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker, with the semi-annual East Coast Truss Rod Adjustment Festival its definitely a consideration.

floyd bridge, I owned one once - too much adjusting.
a non- intonatable stoptail bridge
maple fretboard - I like em dark
no neck pickup
solid paint color - have to see that top grain

Back