What Irritates You?

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
We all know the usual everyday things that irritate us. The driver going twelve MPH in the passing lane who won't get the heck out of the way! And who doesn't have a problem with rude, thoughtless people using their cellphones when they shouldn't? Talk about an epidemic nowadays...

But other than the obvious, probably universal things, what irritates you? Music-related or not, what is it that never fails to get your goat? Do you have an unusual pet peeve?

Here's one of mine: I can't stand rude, inconsiderate people who go to gigs with reserved seating and then STAND in front of others. Sit down! I bought a ticket too, and I don't want to look at your backside all night! You wanna stand for the whole show? Fine, then get behind me! Whatever happened to common courtesy?!?

This topic is all in fun - more or less. :wink: I'm not trying to get anybody's blood pressure up on a Monday morning.

Goldtop

Last edited:
I was at a Clapton concert. Our seats were along the side of an arena so we had to cant to our left to see the stage and listen with both ears.

Directly behind me a guy and his girl were sitting - he was right behind me, she was over my right shoulder.

He had a running commentary on the acoustic songs Clapton was playing. But he couldn't be bothered to turn and talk in his girl's ear - he merely shouted straight over my head so that she could hear him over the amplified, but still low volume acoustic show.

I gave him several stink-eyes, but he didn't get the message. Finally when the person in front of me turned thinking it was me to shush me, I stood up and got eye to eye with the guy behind me. I told him that if he wanted to talk with his girl to go to the lobby, the rest of us came to hear the concert, not his running commentary.

This is the best/worst part. He was shocked that I said anything to him.

Cluelessness isn't the exception, sadly, it seems to be the norm....

I was at a Clapton concert. Our seats were along the side of an arena so we had to cant to our left to see the stage and listen with both ears.

Directly behind me a guy and his girl were sitting - he was right behind me, she was over my right shoulder.

He had a running commentary on the acoustic songs Clapton was playing. But he couldn't be bothered to turn and talk in his girl's ear - he merely shouted straight over my head so that she could hear him over the amplified, but still low volume acoustic show.

I gave him several stink-eyes, but he didn't get the message. Finally when the person in front of me turned thinking it was me to shush me, I stood up and got eye to eye with the guy behind me. I told him that if he wanted to talk with his girl to go to the lobby, the rest of us came to hear the concert, not his running commentary.

This is the best/worst part. He was shocked that I said anything to him.

Cluelessness isn't the exception, sadly, it seems to be the norm....

Good for you! "Assertive communication, 101".....use the minimally effective response, then escalate as needed until you get the desired outcome. Excellent implementation of the strategy, and you were reinforced...it worked!!

My pet peeve is when most people say "No problem" when I say "Thank you".

What ever happened to "You're Welcome"???

I didn't say "I appreciate the difficulty of your assisting me". I didn't say "My goodness....what a problem it must have been to render me this service". I merely said "Thank you".

For those of you who really appreciate this post...hey...no problem. :biggrin::p

It bugs me to no end when a retail person greets a customer and is ignored... If I walk into say a GC, I am as polite as can be in letting the sales guy know what I'm there for and just saying I'll let you know if I have any questions.

For some reason, it bothers me to see the same guy greet another patron and just get ignored completely and passed by as if he were a leper...

Maybe it's the time I spent in customer care...

My biggest irritation is people with no common sense. It ranges from people who clueless to those who don't think about what they're doing. The latter is my biggest issue.

As a motorcycle rider, texting/cell phone talking drivers not paying attention irritate the crap out of me. Nearly every "close call" i've had in the last few years was a result of a driver on a cell phone.

If I read it right the underlying issue so far is a general lack what most of us call common courtesy. That coupled with a long practiced child rearing belief that boltering the self esteem is of paramount importance has in my opinion created a large group of individuals that are clueless how to interact with others. They seem to be always saying "what's in it for me" rather than "how can I help us." When I think of most of the things that irritate me that's what is usually happening.

If I read it right the underlying issue so far is a general lack what most of us call common courtesy. That coupled with a long practiced child rearing belief that boltering the self esteem is of paramount importance has in my opinion created a large group of individuals that are clueless how to interact with others. They seem to be always saying "what's in it for me" rather than "how can I help us." When I think of most of the things that irritate me that's what is usually happening.

That's more accurately, and more diplomatically, put than what I had in mind. Thanks very much. And I agree wholeheartedly.

Goldtop

That's more accurately, and more diplomatically, put than what I had in mind. Thanks very much. And I agree wholeheartedly.

Goldtop

Your welcome. In my other life and for the last 44 years I am a heavy construction equipment operator. Most of the guys I work with would have been more blunt. I really wish being polite would become more universally practiced.

George

Yep def the common courtesy one, like when you are driving, let someone merge (even though you're not bound by law to let them, it's just a nice thing to do) and they don't bother waving to say thank you.

As a motorcycle and bicycle rider, the general dangerous antics that some drivers do, like overtaking me on the bicycle in the same lane, missing me by inches, only to be stopped by a red light 5 seconds away. Wow, gold star for you!

That and drivers with unclear intentions, driving very slowly for no apparent reason, driving with a blinker on, pulling over without indicating etc.

All driving related and I guess it's a matter of safety, they're putting me and my passengers at risk, so the anger/frustration levels are probably higher.

Oh, and massive one, anyone who throws a cigarette butt on the ground, out of the car, in the water, whatever. It's your dirty habit, you deal with the trash! (I've smoked in the past, but always been conscientious of my smoke and butts)

My wife says it's a good thing I don't practice road rage on many of the folks I share the road with. It's amazing how clueless drivers can be to what's happening around them. When dad was teaching me to drive he would always say, "Kid. You have to drive the other guys car as well as your own."

Yep def the common courtesy one, like when you are driving, let someone merge (even though you're not bound by law to let them, it's just a nice thing to do) and they don't bother waving to say thank you.

As a motorcycle and bicycle rider, the general dangerous antics that some drivers do, like overtaking me on the bicycle in the same lane, missing me by inches, only to be stopped by a red light 5 seconds away. Wow, gold star for you!

That and drivers with unclear intentions, driving very slowly for no apparent reason, driving with a blinker on, pulling over without indicating etc.

All driving related and I guess it's a matter of safety, they're putting me and my passengers at risk, so the anger/frustration levels are probably higher.

Oh, and massive one, anyone who throws a cigarette butt on the ground, out of the car, in the water, whatever. It's your dirty habit, you deal with the trash! (I've smoked in the past, but always been conscientious of my smoke and butts)

How about those Drivers in the left lane of the Interstate, doing 60 - 65 mph. They are entittled to drive over there you know. Oh what has happened to our society. I can't wait until all the Truckers say "Screw it" & start driving in the left lane :evil:

How about those Drivers in the left lane of the Interstate, doing 60 - 65 mph. They are entittled to drive over there you know. Oh what has happened to our society. I can't wait until all the Truckers say "Screw it" & start driving in the left lane :evil:

Now why did Denis Leary just start going through my head...?

Carnivores who insist on ordering pizza with dead things on it and then proceed to eat all my cheese pizza while neglecting their own.

JUST ORDER CHEESE PIZZA!! AND NO, I WON"T JUST PICK IT OFF!!

Back