What happens to your PRS's after you're gone?

It's a good question. As I've gotten older I've become more aware of what I need in life, and what's important. Guitar-wise, I don't want my family to have to sell stuff on ebay when I'm gone. Separately, it should be interesting in the next decade or so as the current generation of collectors moves on and collections change hands.

I have 50 or so guitars at any given time. I love buying guitars, but tend to become bored with them after certain time. That being said there are a few exceptions, I cannot imagine selling any of my PRS, Gibson or Fenders. My son will get the vast majority of my gear, he plays and appreciates the quality and value of these masterpieces. There are two guitars in my collection that I play nearly everyday and they would go in the coffin with me like Eddies black and yellow went with brother Dime. My Tremonti custom color signature and my Custom 24 quilted 10 top.

First, someone must pry them out of my cold, dead hands. Then, my long-time friend will sell them and give the proceeds to my wife. He will get to keep one for his troubles. We call this the "death guitar". For some strange reason is always happy when i bring home new PRSi...: :D

Cool topic. Can't say I have plans for them. I will have to figure something out. No plans to have kids so I guess they would go to fund my niece and nephews or a charity.

I don't want my family to have to sell stuff on ebay when I'm gone

A human skeleton sells for 3-10K on ebay, depending on condition. I think it makes more sense to sell my remains, and have the family keep the guitars!

:)

I wish I had a close friend with guitars to do the reciprical sell off with a guitar as payment, great idea and it assures the seller knows the value of them.

I dont understand the whole bury me with one thing though....if it is that special of an instrument I would want it to live on as a musical instrument and bring pleasure to someone, not rot in a box with me.

I wish I had a close friend with guitars to do the reciprical sell off with a guitar as payment, great idea and it assures the seller knows the value of them.

I dont understand the whole bury me with one thing though....if it is that special of an instrument I would want it to live on as a musical instrument and bring pleasure to someone, not rot in a box with me.

Sell it on ebay with your skeleton! Package deal!

I agree...seems like a waste of a fine guitar. To me is seems it would be better to have somebody play it and remember you? They say you die twice, once actually and once when the last person who remembers you goes... Handing off a guitar to play and share your story seems like a good thing to do. :D

Sell it on ebay with your skeleton! Package deal!
You could always get cremated and have a portion of your ashes encased in a small resin puck that is stuck in the control cavity. That way a portion of your dark soul continues on with the new owner unaware of your master plan from beyond the grave. Or you could just settle for the skin cells that are all already there hiding in the crevasses.

You could always get cremated and have a portion of your ashes encased in a small resin puck that is stuck in the control cavity. That way a portion of your dark soul continues on with the new owner unaware of your master plan from beyond the grave. Or you could just settle for the skin cells that are all already there hiding in the crevasses.

Great minds think alike. See post #14. :)

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...mp-they-scratch-their-heads&highlight=memento

I do own a fair number of guitars that my wife would have no idea what they are worth and thankfully she willnever know until I'm gone ;). After Chris T passing, I made a inventory list with approximate values and provided contact information on a couple dealers that I know would help in moving them for her.

My daughter gets all my rig except my Marshall. That will be used for my coffin hehe...true story

With all due respect, if Jamie dies before me, I'm calling his wife to get some of his $800 guitars at a used price!

This may be a morbid topic but as we get older you have to think in these terms. What will happen to your prized and cherished PRS guitars after you have passed on from this life?

All of my guitars are itemized and go to my daughter, according to my will. She knows what I've paid for them and how to contact forums and other 'net resources to check resale prices.

Back