What do you look for in a guitar

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
After having two paying gigs this weekend, the thought crossed my mind that when I wasn't really playing out, what I 'wanted' out of a guitar was a bit different than what I 'need' out of a guitar now that I am playing in a band situation consistently. If you all can remember, a couple of years ago, after not playing out for like a decade and a half, I was asked to back someone up on a radio show. Rusty and out of practice as h*ll I did it, and somehow, got pulled into her band. Since then, from rehearsals, gigs, an upcoming recording project, pandemic zoom practices, lessons to try to build on what I am doing, a church band position starting up next Sunday, and being more pulled into the local music community, I have found that some of the things that were important to me in a guitar over the past 15 or 20 years, aren't quite as necessary at the moment. But then things that I never considered in the past are now part of what makes me choose a certain guitar to play in certain situations.

Just wondering if others here, who have experienced being a "collector" more than a "player"....and then became more of a "player" than a "collector" (or even that same thing but in reverse. . .maybe you USED to play out a lot, but now you don't)....and are the requirements for a guitar 'different' now.

(pic from this weekend for attention)

244408018_10110124865530193_6475319377234835043_n.jpg

21 years ago I got back into being in a band after a very lengthy hiatus.
Before the band all I needed was a guitar that made guitar noises.
In our cover band I started to acquire guitars that suited different tasks. I started with a HSS strat clone, then a SSS strat style, then full humbucker with splitable pups, then a piezo equipped guitar, and then double P90s etc.
Then I got a Kemper, and quickly realized that a large piece of the tone comes from the speaker chosen, more so than the amp type TBH.
So... without trying to be simplistic, something like my 594 soapy and the Kemper covers a ridiculous amount of ground.
Of course this doesn't matter to those that have "found their tone", or do their own/original music etc, but it makes a crap ton of difference to a rhythm player in a cover band like me.
I ain't sellin' any of my guitars though, cuz I love them all and rotate them often... just sayin'.:D

My only piece is that I'm consistently amazed by the difference in how a guitar 'works' at home practice levels compared to at volume with a band. Some of it is that often-said ability to "cut through the mix", but honestly sometimes a guitar I've had for as while that seems just ok at home, I'll try it during a band practice and am often hugely surprised at the difference.

My only piece is that I'm consistently amazed by the difference in how a guitar 'works' at home practice levels compared to at volume with a band. Some of it is that often-said ability to "cut through the mix", but honestly sometimes a guitar I've had for as while that seems just ok at home, I'll try it during a band practice and am often hugely surprised at the difference.

It’s amazing what a bit of volume and drive does for a guitars tone. There are no rights or wrongs in a guitars voice, just differences.

The very first thing I look for in a guitar is feel. I've never been a collector. I'm a player. When everyone said that for acoustics it was Gibson and Martin, I bought Taylors because they were immediately and clearly better feeling and playing guitars. When everyone said to get a Les Paul and a Strat, I bought a Custom 22, because it felt SO much better than either. If it feels great and plays great, I can adjust the tone to what I want, or at least to something I feel good about.

I can't make my C24 or C22 sound exactly like a Les Paul. I can't may my NF3 sound exactly like a strat. But I don't care, because they feel so good and play so well, I'll adjust my amp to where I want the tone, and, as the song says, nothing else matters.

For me, it's all about the feel and playability. Tone can be adjusted with the amp, pickups etc.

Interesting topic. A big, complex topic!

I’ve been in a band for most of my days playing guitar. There have been lapses in there though. I have have different tastes and different tones I might want outside my band. Those things are always changing.

One thing that I’ve found that I prefer to have since being in a band is 2 volume knobs, one for each humbucker. It allows me to be more efficient as a player in terms of getting to my tones and varying levels of gain regardless of what amp I might use, how many pedals I have, etc.

This won't mean much to most here, since you wouldn't know what song I was playing or tone of the original, when I play live, but a couple years ago, I made myself decide to play whatever guitar I want for every song I play live. I play some bluegrass gospel that was clearly played with a tele, or a strat, or a lap steel. I play my part with the guitar I want to play that week, regardless of how close that guitar might be to the original tone.

That said, when I play some Van Halen, I normally pick the Wolfie or Axis. Because, well, you know, Van Halen!

Last edited by a moderator:
This post is so me since I'm always finding myself in different situations. I can concur that what you need live....vs writing...vs recording....all different animals.

The main thing I need out of a guitar is that it needs to let me accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish and NOT get in the way...Then I need it to enhance my playing and bring that gut inspiration into the open letting creativity run rampant.

That is key that last part..... Letting creativity run rampant...letting the feel and focus of the music just free flow. So I have guitars that I own for learning, writing, recording, guests and Live. It's led to owning many guitars though....not a complaint about that.

PS. Having guest guitars saves lives.

How it feels in my hands is first and foremost. It's not always the same thing, but I can tell a lot in the first few seconds or minutes. Some guitars I pick up and they just feel right. If it feels right I can put up with and overlook a lot of other things. I've bought a couple without even caring how they sound, knowing I can get it there.

Now that I have a nice array of guitars I'm usually looking for reasons not to buy a guitar instead of to buy. Especially when browsing online and I can't pick them up. I get pretty picky and sometimes I remind myself of the soup nazi from Seinfeld. I only look at guitars that fill a void that the ones I have don't have, small or large. I buy the seller more than guitar. It's amazing how many sellers ads or responses to questions get them off the list. I also sleep on a purchase, sometimes multiple nights. If it sells in the meantime.. there will always be more.

In a perfect world I revert to my first line. How it feels in my hands. If it feels right, fills a void, and within budget I'm walking out with it.

I'll add, since I read it on this forum first and it's stuck with me ever since. I look for gear that inspires me. I can't even begin to describe how helpful this philosophy has been on my journey to grow. If I already own it and doesn't inspire me.. it's gone. That's one of the reasons I favor PRS, inspiration. Thanks Paul!

On an acoustic, the tone is #1 for me, unless I am going to be plugging it in most of the time. Even then, I need to be convinced that a good tone will be delivered reliably through the pickup system, so tone again even if I am plugging it in.

On an electric, the feel is #1 for me. I had never had a PRS in my hands prior to Feb 2021. After I got my first, I purchased a second 16 days later. That is how much I liked the way it felt. Then a month after that, I put a deposit on a Private Stock. So now I have 3 and I will keep every one of them for the rest of my days. They each have their own tone, feel, look but one thing is certain, every single one of these 3 gems feel better in my hands than any other guitar I have ever held.

Can't wait to try PRS acoustic! I am inclined to skip the SE line and get an older Angelus from when they were more like a core, but I have heard so many good things about the SE's, both here and in reviews online, that I am wondering if I should get one to dip my toes in the PRS acoustic water before going waste deep with an old Angelus, or neck deep with a PS Angelus! Biggest issue for me is, I would need to get on a plane to play any one of these options, so for the moment, my Martins are placating my acoustic needs! The lease expensive (paid $20 and that included an old school Martin hard shell case) acoustic guitar I have ever owned (Carlos, made in Korea) has the best action of any acoustic guitar I have ever played, and I have never touched a thing on it for setup. It sucks because the tone on it is a far cry from what I want, but it plays like a dream, and my aging hands appreciate that ;~)) I passed that guitar around a couple of months back with some musicians I was jamming with and it dropped jaws all the way around with how well it played. It also raised some eyebrows based on the tone ;~))

I’ve always been the kind of monogamist, so to say, when it comes to guitars. Pretty much devoted to one. Personally when I choose I go for feel, natural and amplified tone, playability, looks ( it’s got to be able to steal a few glances while I’m in the same room with the guitar and doing something else), weight, and how well will it fit my playing style. I also gather feedback from other players who have the same model and take into account their experience and any problems they may have had after acquiring the guitar. I’ve never been a collector and I doubt I will become one. But I believe with a CU24, a Tele, a Hollowbody II Piezo and a PRS acoustic guitar (haven’t picked one yet) I’d probably be set for life.

Last edited:
I look for a truss rod cover that says "Vela" ;).

OK, in all seriousness, I know y'all know I already love the Velas. I'm looking for that combination of playability and tone that makes me smile. While I know I can change pickups, making playability a touch more important, the stock pickups have to at least make me a little happy or the guitar isn't coming home with me. So it has to feel good and sound good.

I do some originals, but my band playing is mostly covers. That said, I have never been the guy who had to nail the tone of the original recordings - I want it to sound like me playing the song, not a human jukebox. It helps that I lean a bit towards jam band and/or indie/alternative type stuff. So, as long as the rig I'm using can cover clean and a variety of needed dirt, I'm good - the standard cover band audience is not likely to say "I can't believe he's using a Vela for that song when it was clearly recorded on a Les Paul". Well, maybe some guitar geek in the crowd would, but you know what I mean. I don't think in terms of it needs to sound like a Strat, Tele, Les Paul, insert iconic guitar here - I think in terms of what dirt level it needs and the overall tone.

Last edited:
A live work guitar must:
  • Playability: make me forget which guitar I’m playing because it’s effortless.
  • Rock-solid tuning stability
  • Zero broken strings
  • Interact with my rig in a way that is inspiring
  • Optional: looks
Whether or not I was in a cover band or originals didn’t matter if the mojo brought the inspiration. With originals, if I play and create songs that spark the others, the exact tone of the guitar doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
Can't wait to try PRS acoustic! I am inclined to skip the SE line and get an older Angelus from when they were more like a core, but I have heard so many good things about the SE's, both here and in reviews online, that I am wondering if I should get one to dip my toes in the PRS acoustic water before going waste deep with an old Angelus, or neck deep with a PS Angelus!
I was skeptical on the SE acoustics myself before getting mine. I was looking into a Taylor that would have cost me twice as much. I ended up liking the feel much better on the A40E that I have now and the tone has gotten compliments from my other band members after they played it. (That is actually it in the pic I posted). You figure, you can grab one [unplayed] and if you don't actually dig it as much as you thought you would then you didn't really drop a lot of money to find out. The one thing I can say is that The Taylor was a little more versatile plugged in (on board eq, etc.....) but they both sound great acoustic only. You "could" gobble up an SE and if you decide it is a good enough guitar for your tastes, then hunt down an older, US made one as an upgrade.

I hate fighting a guitar. Some guitars, through a combination of factors, are just hard to play and that gets me thinking more about playing than making music. So if it plays well, that’s a gate-opening moment. It’s not just one thing… I like lots of neck carves and body shapes and fret sizes. It’s a package deal: how it comes together. And if it doesn’t play and stay in tune, it’s gone.

As I’ve gotten older, gigging for 4-5 hours with a needlessly heavy guitar has become a “not worth it” proposition as well. Some of my former (read: sold) guitars from major brands felt like they were chambered, then filled with lead. There’s no reason for wood to weigh that much, and when you have guitars with equal tone and sustain that don’t require a weight lifting belt to play it becomes unacceptable. My discovery of the PRS hollowbody guitars has been nothing short of a revelation, and I find myself playing one of the three I have nearly 100% of the time these days. Tone, feel, and light weight in one package suits me well in 2021.

Most of the above is for electrics. On acoustic, tone is king. An even representation string-to-string, along with a round and projecting sound is the thing for me. Although any of my Taylors play better, I’ve not found any acoustic that matches the tone of a 2016 Martin HD28 I purchased a while back. I’d love to try a top PRS or Olson, but those dollar figures aren’t in the cards yet.

I occasionally play bass, as well, and clarity is what I listen for, even in the low bass. I hate muddy, indistinct bass sound. It just mucks up a band mix awfully. My favorite for the last 8 or so years has been an early Stingray 5HH, and I’d love to get one of the earlier Stingray 4s.

Last edited:
I've never been an out of the house player. Hell, I stop playing when the wife comes in the room. So, I guess I am a hobbyist that collects cool guitars that "speak to me." Not sure why I am self conscious about my playing. I played alto and baritone sax in band, marching band and a 6 piece Jazz band back in Jr and High school days. Not like I never played in front of people before. And, I've done plenty of speaking in front of groups of people for my job. Oh well, I like what I got, and I'll grab another, just cuz.

Back