What do you look for in a guitar

A live work guitar must:
  • Playability: make me forget which guitar I’m playing because it’s effortless.
  • Rock-solid tuning stability
  • Zero broken strings
  • Interact with my rig in a way that is inspiring
  • Optional: looks
Whether or not I was in a cover band or originals didn’t matter if the mojo brought the inspiration.
With originals, if I play and create songs that spark the others, the exact tone of the guitar doesn’t matter.

I agree with all of this.
I play the entire job on the same guitar.
(I bring a second one for backup but it sits in its case.)

The guitar has to feel good.
It also has to be forgiving because
let's face it, Tony M. is a sloppy player at times.

Just thinking about this more reminded me of a friends 335. When I was a teen shredder, before the term shredder even existed, I had a friend that played and he had a red 335. That thing howled like a wolf in heat when you got close to an amp, even at moderate volumes, but BOY did it sound killer! That fat tone was SO addictive, and sound wise, even thought it wouldn't have been my primary tone, I absolutely loved the way that guitar sounded.

The only problem was, the strings were VERY close together on that guitar. I didn't know enough as a teen about neck specs, but I keep thinking that I'll run into him some time and see if he still has that guitar. What I remember is that I was constantly hitting strings that I wasn't supposed to be hitting... often hitting the one next to the one I was playing because they were just so close. And I don't have sausage fingers. (TWSS). And, it wasn't that I was used to wide neck guitars. I don't like them! It's just that the string spacing on that guitar was so narrow that I struggled to play it.

Admittedly, I only played it a few times, and never for more than 30-40 minutes, so perhaps I could have adapted better with more time, but I thought about that guitar in the context of this thread, because that guitar had a magic that I could have fallen in love with, but one thing about it drove me crazy. Even the action was great, and everything else was very good, but that one aspect of playability threw the whole thing off for me.

It really comes down to sound. When I hear something irresistible, I get the buying urge, and generally that's gonna be all the inspiration I need to write something new for a client.

I've played PRS for 30 years, so I never worry about playability. If an instrument sounds great, I'm on it, even if the appearance isn't 100% what I might otherwise like. They all tend to grow on me over time.

In general, I like a set neck, humbucker guitar, but I have a couple with a Narrowfield middle pickup, and one with P-90s, because, P-90s. Coil splits are interesting, but not crucial.

Last edited:
Hm...I was trying to post a new thread and it said I was "Blocked" But that showed up here in the existing thread.
75285817.jpg

I like to have different tones for certain songs, hence having guitars with single coils, p90 and HB pickups.

Neck profile used to matter, but as long as it’s not a baseball bat I can pretty much adapt.

Of course I like a pretty guitar, does the figured wood and the fancy stain make it ring out any more or more playable? Meh! But we’re all magpies!

I’ve never been a collector, I’ve always just owned the tools I needed for the job, so if I’m honest I sometimes have a hard time understanding the mentality of ‘collectors’. Because surely, the more guitars you have the less they all get played, right? That’s what my brain says. But that’s on me, not them.

So in order to take a healthier view on it I try to look at it more like, it’s nice to have a choice of instruments to pick from!

I'd be lying if I said looks weren't a big part of what I look for in a guitar. But it absolutely MUST feel good, play good, and be reliable and stable.

Hey, nothing wrong with that!

My new Special SH wasn't a color I'd normally choose, but damn, it sounds good, and it just paid for itself on a commercial track. So, win!

I’ve used the same amp for over 20 years, and it’s nearly infinitely adjustable. I have others, but that part of the equation is covered. I was on the hunt for years for different sounds for different gigs, but never looking for a guitar that sounded “like” anyone. I wanted to find my sound. Each PRS I bought had a different sound, some magical for different things. When I finally got my maple neck/board triple soapie, I knew that was my funk and blues guitar, which is what I am playing in the current band. The one on the left in my avatar has that sound in spades. It’s better because it’s blue, but not all my guitars are. So for me it’s always a tone hunt. I’ve never seen an ugly PRS, except a lime green S2. I take looks for granted. And they all play extraordinarily well, so that’s covered. I don’t have or plan on getting any non-PRS. They cover what I need, but the soapie is my magic guitar. The one on the right in my avatar? That fell out of the sky for a stupid price, and it was unplayed. If anything happens to #1, I can play #2 and not sound like #2.

Back