Trivial, I Know, But Still Kinda Fun News

Great job! I had a new Aortic Valve put in 6 years ago. The cardiac rehab is awesome. I saw the results on people much older than me who were in the exercise program with me. That was inspiring. The next winter I was cross country skiing on the Olympic coarse at Wistler.

Recently I got an infrared suna at home. It has almost immediately helped drop my glucose and blood pressure levels. Check with your cardiologist before taking that step but man what a difference.
James

Great job Les!

In the last 3 months I've had two hip replacement surgeries and an emergency gallbladder surgery in between the two hip replacements because of a inflamed and infected gallbladder.

My hip replacements are over, and I'm getting around pretty good. I went from walker to cane to nothing after each surgery and now I'm walking without assistance. It's nice to not be in pain. The gallbladder thing is over, but it was an acute problem, it just came on sudden where I was really sick and in the hospital until they found out why. It wasn't a typical elective removal for chronic attacks, which is more common.

Great job! I had a new Aortic Valve put in 6 years ago. The cardiac rehab is awesome. I saw the results on people much older than me who were in the exercise program with me. That was inspiring. The next winter I was cross country skiing on the Olympic coarse at Wistler.

Recently I got an infrared suna at home. It has almost immediately helped drop my glucose and blood pressure levels. Check with your cardiologist before taking that step but man what a difference.
James

That's great news about your recovery, and hmmm...infared sauna? I have to read up on that! My brother in law is having valve surgery next month, I'll cheer him up with what you've said, I know he's a bit worried.

Great job Les!
In the last 3 months I've had two hip replacement surgeries and an emergency gallbladder surgery in between the two hip replacements because of a inflamed and infected gallbladder.

My hip replacements are over, and I'm getting around pretty good. I went from walker to cane to nothing after each surgery and now I'm walking without assistance. It's nice to not be in pain. The gallbladder thing is over, but it was an acute problem, it just came on sudden where I was really sick and in the hospital until they found out why. It wasn't a typical elective removal for chronic attacks, which is more common.

Wow, you've really been through the wringer recently, but I'm so glad you're doing well! Rock on, brother!

Les,

Dropping that kind of weight that you did at dare I say, "our" age is a big accomplishment.

Congrats!

Carl

Good going Les...I hope that L'esteban is also meeting his goals, and supporting you!

I did not have surgery, but I was pretty unhealthy in January. Enlarged liver, A1C over 9, BP out of control. Gastro told me to lose 25% or more of my body weight or else go through a liver biopsy. I HATE NEEDLES.

So with a radical change in diet, and a $10/month gym right down the road, I have been able to lose 38 pounds, drop my A1C 3 points to 6.1, and get off of half my meds - including my BP medication.

It is a struggle and hard work every day. So from someone who understands how hard it is, a sincere congratulations! Keep it up.

You, too, L'esteban...

From one Carl to another - congrats - what you have done is as impressive as what Les has done!

Now I have to take my dog on a Sunday AM hike up to the top of a local hill! Part of my try to stay in shape regimen.

Some here know that I had some surgery on the ol' ticker recently. Anyway, I've been doing cardiac rehab, and they weigh us in at the beginning of the session.

Today the nurse came up to me and said, with kind of a shocked look, "I've been here a really long time, and you're the first person I know of who has actually met the weight goal!" Woo!

I know, it's trivial, not exactly a big accomplishment, but I feel good that my lifestyle changes are actually working. I'm down 35 pounds since August!

My grandfather (who lived to age 91) always said, "If you don't have your health, you have nothing." What I've learned recently tells me one thing: he was right.

You can own the best guitars in the world (as a PRS player, I do!), but if you're too weak to pick them up and play them, or can't do much else, it's not a really good day no matter how many you have. Etc.

Mr. S.,

I've been thinking about your post since I first read it. I admire you anyway from your posts and the things you say, but I have to tell you that I admire you even more now. It's not easy to make changes in lifestyle (or it's not easy for me anyway), and the fact that you've made those changes is fantastic. I'm happy for you, and I thank you for talking about it. You're a real inspiration, Sir.

Lloyd

Thanks for the kind words, guys, much appreciated!

Actually, it wasn't hard for me to change my lifestyle - even though the experience of that surgery and recovery was very positive, once was enough!

Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided that I'm not going back to do it again. ;)

Great job Les!

Damn - that's alot of stuff to deal with in a compressed timeframe! Glad you are on the mend, keep on going down the good road!

From one Carl to another - congrats - what you have done is as impressive as what Les has done!

Now I have to take my dog on a Sunday AM hike up to the top of a local hill! Part of my try to stay in shape regimen.

Thanks! Like Les, I am not going back either. So if I ever get fat again, due to factors that are within my own control, I hereby vow here, publicly, in this forum, that I will rid myself of one of my prized Core PRSes, and donate the proceeds. Which I should probably do anyway, but I am not that good of a person...yet...

Thanks! Like Les, I am not going back either. So if I ever get fat again, due to factors that are within my own control, I hereby vow here, publicly, in this forum, that I will rid myself of one of my prized Core PRSes, and donate the proceeds. Which I should probably do anyway, but I am not that good of a person...yet...

I think I'd cut off my legs to get the weight down before I'd get rid of my PRSes. ;)

So what changes did you make to your diet, Les? I'd guess you cut a decent amount of carbs?

So what changes did you make to your diet, Les? I'd guess you cut a decent amount of carbs?

The main thing is that I eat more veggies, salads, and lean meats only. I did cut out a fair amount of carbs, most fats, most salt, and all junk food. I stopped snacking during the day and after dinner.

I wasn't really trying to lose weight - mainly, just trying to eat healthy, and the weight came off by itself. Also there's the exercise, nearly every day.

Back