I Finally Did It! Suggestions Needed.

Very awesome!!

I wish they had SEs and Spark amps when I was starting! Way too cool, and a great way to continue to be inspired while learning. Both choices are enough to allow a beginner to grow I to the gear. Always a good choice!
That Is For Sure! These Newbies Today Have It Good As Far As Options And Availability Go Compared To How We Started Off.

I Suggested That And The Harmonica But He is A Sell Out And Wanted To Go Boring And Stick With The Guitar...Go Figure. ;)
"I Suggested That And The Harmonica But He Is A Sell Out And Wanted To Go Boring And Stick With The Guitar...Go Figure."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FIFY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
Regarding the Spark Mini's difficulty of use: I am the least technical person around with computers and different apps. I admit at times I'm a real dunce with this stuff. But if I can figure it out than anybody can figure it out! I use mine with headphones and I am blown away with how good it sounds. Very full and rich sound. With all the availbale jamming features within the app it's a fantastic learning tool.
Good To Know! Thank You For The Feedback My Friend! I Think The Spark Is The Way For Him To Go For Now.

I have not ever played a SE so I cannot provide any help there.
But for under 1K and with Metallica as a goal but with the aim of not outgrowing the guitar too fast I would go for a Schecter Hellraiser guitar. Very well manufactured, they sound killer for that type of music and can run circles around ESP LTD at that price range. And they have some gorgeous finishes as well.
Solid Suggestion...Thank You For That. I Hadn't Thought Of Schecter Because He Was Always Talking PRS But I Have Had A Few Schecter's In My Day And They Were Great For The Price.

@Bogner,

I think your instincts are spot-on, but to help him with his budget try an SE 594 nicely figured used (plug for Dave's Guitars in MI) and a 50W MKII Katana with dual foot switch used.

My reasoning is that starting with used gear you might feel less upset if you might ding or damage a used guitar, and not lose as much on resale value if he might do the one-in-one-out rule in the future. The amp you can buy from shops that sell used gear. Your friend might find it easier to test drive several amps with his new guitar rather than shop for both guitar/amp at the same time.

But, yeah, def an SE 594 or SE 594 SC and 50W MKII Katana with footswitch capability. Your friend may not be inclined to work with computer software yet. Yet, something he can work his way towards, if needs be.

@Bogner,

I think your instincts are spot-on, but to help him with his budget try an SE 594 nicely figured used (plug for Dave's Guitars in MI) and a 50W MKII Katana with dual foot switch used.

My reasoning is that starting with used gear you might feel less upset if you might ding or damage a used guitar, and not lose as much on resale value if he might do the one-in-one-out rule in the future. The amp you can buy from shops that sell used gear. Your friend might find it easier to test drive several amps with his new guitar rather than shop for both guitar/amp at the same time.

But, yeah, def an SE 594 or SE 594 SC and 50W MKII Katana with footswitch capability. Your friend may not be inclined to work with computer software yet. Yet, something he can work his way towards, if needs be.
Great Advice! Thank You For That...Very Kind Of You. :)

Solid Suggestion...Thank You For That. I Hadn't Thought Of Schecter Because He Was Always Talking PRS But I Have Had A Few Schecter's In My Day And They Were Great For The Price.
I think another good non-PRS option would be a ESP LTD-256 FM. Most on this forum seem to gravitate towards a thicker neck. I'm not much of a profile snob... My 256 has one of the thinnest neck profiles I've ever owned. You never know what someone else, especially a beginner, might prefer. Truth be told, I think it holds it's own against my SE 594 SC; at almost half the cost.

I think another good non-PRS option would be a ESP LTD-256 FM. Most on this forum seem to gravitate towards a thicker neck. I'm not much of a profile snob... My 256 has one of the thinnest neck profiles I've ever owned. You never know what someone else, especially a beginner, might prefer. Truth be told, I think it holds it's own against my SE 594 SC; at almost half the cost.
Newer models, like the Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-1, they have an ultra thin C shape that feels remarkably close a wizard neck profile, definitely thinner and flatter than my ESP LTD EC1000. Give them a try, although for the purpose of this thread I think all of them are outside the desired price range

Newer models, like the Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid C-1, they have an ultra thin C shape that feels remarkably close a wizard neck profile, definitely thinner and flatter than my ESP LTD EC1000. Give them a try, although for the purpose of this thread I think all of them are outside the desired price range
I haven't played a EC1000 or Hellraiser... It's funny you should mention a Wizard profile; that is what my EC256FM reminded me of. ESP describes it as a thin U-shape.

I owned a 1990 RG770FM. I remember it being a little thinner and flatter than my ESP. I would describe it as a thin D-shape. I sold it in 1992 and haven't picked up an Ibanez since.

Also, my EC256FM weighs in at 6lb 14oz, whereas my SE 594SC weighs in at 8lb 6oz. The EC256FM is $500 new; the SE 594SC is $900 new.

My EC256FM was my first Indonesian import and was a gateway to the 4 SEs I currently own.

20240504-045809.jpg

One of our local blues legends gigs regularly on an SE Singlecut, and an amp built by Em7. The Singlecut is great because it’s thin. My second suggestion would be an SE 245. Both are shockingly good guitars when set up with a new nut. You can’t go wrong with the Spark.

I Had A Brief Chat With My Buddy And He Seems Pretty Fixated On Some Type Of PRS Model. I Gathered That Mentioning Other Brands Was A Bit Overwhelming To Him As He Said He Doesn't Know Enough To Know Where To Begin. I Think In His Mind Picking From One Manufacturer (Even If There Are 10 Models To Select From For Example) Is Easier In His Mind Than Picking From Three Manufacturers Having Two Guitar Options Per Brand That Could Work For Him. Even Though There May Be Less Overall Models To Select From, The Multiple Brands Seemed To Overwhelm And Confuse Him.

I Can Understand His Feelings And When We Get To The Music Store (Not Sure When That Will Be Yet) I Will Gently Introduce A Couple Of Other Options Once He Has Landed On Something He Likes And See If He Changes His Mind. If He Goes Through The PRS Models And Is Dead Set On Something Specific And Falls In Love Right Then And There, I Am Not Going Introduce Anything Else To Try To Shift Him (Unless The Guitar Is A Bad One Which Is Doubtful) So He Can Be Confident (As Best As He Can Be) And Get The Guitar Choice In The Rear View Mirror As Quickly As Possible And Get To Playing. I Feel I Really Need To Keep This Simple For Him. :)

Back