My journey has begun!

Wow, not sure how you got a date in May. I was being told that the soonest I could probably get would be in August. I am now hearing it is going to be later in the year than than.

Dealers usually have dates pre booked and if they have space can take you. You’re just talking to a different dealer.
Yup, this is right. I ended up being very lucky, as the dealer had a date already set and another customer coming when I contacted them about my potential build. They said they could add me to the group as long as I could confirm my availability and get the deposit in by a set date this month.

Sorry to hear you have to wait a bit. I've cycled through options for components and colors about 20-30 times since I started talking to the dealer! Any longer and I'd have 10 builds in my back pocket to decide between 😆

Dealers usually have dates pre booked and if they have space can take you. You’re just talking to a different dealer.
I started a thread on here asking about that very thing and was told that they don't have slots like Tom Anderson does where they can fill them ahead of time and use them for a customer or a shop build. My guess is that particular dealer had a cancellation that they filled with a new order.

Now that this is locked in, I can let you all know what I am planning.

My PS build at this point.

McCarty 594 double cut
Trem bridge
One piece quild top
African mahogany back
Natural reveal binding on body
Figured mahogany neck
Brazilian rosewood fretboard
Flame maple binding on fretboard and headstock
20th anniversary birds
Quilted maple headstock overlay
12th fret inlay in the neck heel

Standard nut
Hybrid hardware
59/09 uncovered pickups with black rings
Amber lampshade knobs
Matching wood back plates
Dark Cherry Glow top and headstock
Antique natural back
High gloss nitro

I went with White MOP outlines and gold MOP centers on the inlays. This could change when I get to the factory. This is one area that I am going to ask for their input on when I am there. This is the most likely thing that could change when I visit them.

My thoughts is that this guitar could make a few of my PRS guitars go on the block. I did the trem because I think this guitar could make me sell my DGT. I have a couple with Brazilian rosewood boards that this will be a nod to. My 594 is one of my most played guitars. I also think this is going to make it similar to the new Studio I bought last fall. The color is a nod to the first PRS I bought that has a dark cherry sunburst finish. The private stock finish looks way better and should look awesome on a one piece quilt. I did the one piece quilt to make it similar to the Suhr I had built in 2015. My two custom builds will have the one piece top. I can see my SC Trem possibly going after I get this guitar as well.

The dealer that is helping make this become a reality is Jack Gretz at Northeast Music Center. I can't say enough good things about how he has handled this whole thing. I am more than happy that I called him. He moved very fast on this when he found out that I had a miss with another dealer. From the time I called him to the time we submitted the specs was literally two business days. I was in the other situation for over 2 weeks and hadn't made it to this point. I still had a few unanswered questions and Jack answered most of them on the first call. I was down to two questions and he got the answers back on those within two days and we submitted the specs. Everything was finalized and approved and the deposit was paid within a week of the first call. I couldn't be happier and am very excited for this to happen now.
You have waited so long and I wish you everything was beyond your expectations!
I'm sure it will be a masterpiece just to read the specs! I can't wait to see this guitar Jason!

@JasonE awesome thread. I am a few months ahead of you (ordered Sep 2023, wood selection/vault trip Dec 2023, and expected completion 4Q24) and clearly remember the excitement at your current stage. That initial hurdle of deciding to pull the trigger and selecting the right partner (Dealer) is a major step. It sounds like you cleared that and even worked through the "fun" of narrowing down the options. All great accomplishments. You have a great design in mind. My initial design changed a little by the time I made it to the factory, but that was because Paul Miles was able to talk through the rationale on several items from a design and construction perspective. That is just to say the design process is a lot of fun and can take some interesting changes leading up to your one-of-a-kind dream guitar.

I look forward to hearing the updates as you make it through the rest of the design/selection process... and then it's the tough part, waiting! Congrats on making it through this part.

Thank you for sharing this fascinating journey. It’s so nice to share in your excitement. Love your spec.

I’ve owned PRS guitars for over 30 years now and I’d certainly like to invest in a Private Stock one day!

I was fortunate enough to be visiting the Pagani factory (they make very expensive Supercars) in Italy a few years ago and a customer was there visiting the factory. A father and his young son parked their old VW outside and we just looking through the window. The new owner went outside and asked if they would like to join him as he saw his multi million dollar car being built. Both father and son were thrilled, and treated like VIPs a memory to treasure.

It’s nice to share in your adventure. Look forward to more updates ….

Last edited:
I'll bet I know which option that is ;~)) If I ever get around to a PS build, I will be looking for the onesie top as well!
Yep, that is it. I knew when I chose it that the top I chose is the hardest piece of wood for them to get. I did the same thing with the custom Suhr I had built. They happened to have a decent stock of them at the time. I don't know how the stock level is at PRS in a top wood at a private stock level.

Private stock("The Vault") and wood library are two seperate rooms, correct?
Are you allowed to shop the wood library?
I've seen some beautiful one-piece wood library examples...

Private stock("The Vault") and wood library are two seperate rooms, correct?
Are you allowed to shop the wood library?
I've seen some beautiful one-piece wood library examples...
They are two separate rooms. They grade the wood ahead of time, so if it's a Wood Library, it didn't make the cut for PS. Although, I have heard Paul say something along the lines of, "WL, how is that not in the Vault"

I debated on whether to put this in general discussion or in electric guitars because the end result of this will be a beautiful electric guitar that I have wanted for many, many years.

As some of you have probably noticed I have been getting a bit more serious about possibly having a private stock built. This is my first and I have wanted to do this for decades. It would have been cheaper to do it decades ago but some of the options I will go with were not available back then. Unfortunately, there are probably some options I would like to have done but are not available now.

The first thing that made this journey get some traction is that I was talking to my wife about the idea of this again. She has heard this conversation more than once over the years. I told her that I wanted to do a trip to the library and get the tour of the factory and that I wanted to take her with me. She said that would be very cool to do. That was the green light I needed to really get me moving on it.

I had two guitars that I had pulled out months ago and put back to stock in preparation to sell. I just hadn't got motivated enough to sell them. I sent CME the pictures and specs. They weren't even interested in one of them and sent me a price on the other one that I wasn't sure I was willing to accept. I had talked to my local independent shop over a year ago about putting some guitars in his shop on consignment and he said he may be willing to buy some outright. The two I had are right in his lane. It took both of them over to him on Saturday. I had a bad feeling when I walked in because his shop it over stocked. The have new gear stacked up all over the place. He told me the price would have to be right because he has so much stock. He looked at them and commented about how good of condition they were in and that they were really good guitars. He asked what I was thinking. I told him to give me a number that he was comfortable with. He gave me a number and it was right at the low end of where I had decided I was comfortable selling them. I told him that he hit my bottom number and that I was willing to sell them to him for that. He told me he appreciated me working with him on the deal and accepting that offer. I told him that I would rather support my local shop than some place nowhere near me. I got $400 more out of the guitar that CME was interested in from him and I didn't have to box and ship it anywhere. This is a great start to the journey too.

I picked a dealer on Thursday and made a phone call in between meetings. I had a great conversation. I sent my first pass at the specs to the dealer on Friday. They told me that they would probably get to them today or tomorrow. I know there are a couple of things in my list that they will have to call to find out if they will do them. I have had enough days to think through this build that I have been identifying things about my current lineup that I like and putting those things in this build. This build is going to be a combination of 3 or 4 of my current PRS guitars. I may actually sell a few of them off after this one is done if it comes out like I am hoping it will.

I am excited and really looking forward to this journey. I have more guitars I want to sell. I need to get them out and inspect them and make some decisions. My local shop told me that it would be good if I could wait about a month before bringing more in. I have a couple that the dealer I am working with on the private stock build told me they would be interested in. May see what they are willing to give me for them in the meantime.

Super cool! I'm also glad to know this wasn't an April Fools post! 😅 April 1st to May 1st! How's things looking now a month in?

On The One Piece Top, Are They Giving Them Out In The Order They Come Into Stock In Relation To Order Date (Essentially, They Pick For You) Or Do You Get To Pick From A Few?
From what I have been told, they will have some for me to select from. That is what can cause a delay in the factory visit. It is one of the hardest pieces of wood for them to get in a private stock grade. It is possible that I may have to wait until they have several for me to select from before they will schedule my visit.

From what I have been told, they will have some for me to select from. That is what can cause a delay in the factory visit. It is one of the hardest pieces of wood for them to get in a private stock grade. It is possible that I may have to wait until they have several for me to select from before they will schedule my visit.
I Hear Ya...Bummer If There Indeed Is A Delay But Good For You That You Get To Actually Select From A Few Pieces For Your Guitar. It Would BE A Bummer If The Choice Was Made For You. Hopefully You Get Some Amazing Pieces To Select From And Can Get It Dialed In Exactly As You Would Like It To Be. :)

I Hear Ya...Bummer If There Indeed Is A Delay But Good For You That You Get To Actually Select From A Few Pieces For Your Guitar. It Would BE A Bummer If The Choice Was Made For You. Hopefully You Get Some Amazing Pieces To Select From And Can Get It Dialed In Exactly As You Would Like It To Be. :)
I had a thought for a hot minute about changing the spec to a two piece top to get things moving. The price difference is really not that much when compared to the overall price. I decided this is going to be THE guitar I want it to be so I will patiently wait. :)

I had a thought for a hot minute about changing the spec to a two piece top to get things moving. The price difference is really not that much when compared to the overall price. I decided this is going to be THE guitar I want it to be so I will patiently wait. :)
Yeah, Don't Cut Any Corners Man. Make sure It Is Exactly what You Want No Matter how Long It Takes. A Few Days Or Even Weeks In The Grand Scheme Of Life Isn't A Huge Deal Though I Know We Would Always Like It Faster. This Situation (As You Know) Is very Different Than A Quick Find Online That You Could "Live With". I Hope It All Comes Together Better Than You Ever Imagined Possible. :)

Yeah, Don't Cut Any Corners Man. Make sure It Is Exactly what You Want No Matter how Long It Takes. A Few Days Or Even Weeks In The Grand Scheme Of Life Isn't A Huge Deal Though I Know We Would Always Like It Faster. This Situation (As You Know) Is very Different Than A Quick Find Online That You Could "Live With". I Hope It All Comes Together Better Than You Ever Imagined Possible. :)
Your slippin' Dude! Or is this secret code to spell out a hidden message? :eek:

Back