i need help 57/08 pickup height

Snake1911

Hello, how are you, I have a question. I recently installed my 57/08 in my Santana SE and the truth is I've always had a question about what height to put my pickups at, the PRS page only says this
https://support.prsguitars.com /hc/en-us/articles/4408310400667-Pickup-Heights-and-Pickup-Height-Adjustment
and I can't find any that match in this case with my Santana se guitar or with the 57/08, if anyone has this guitar or these pickups, could you tell me the height at which they should go?, a result that appears on Google when you read it. If you search, it gives you an exaggerated height, which makes the neck pickup too sunken, so I don't know if it is a correct configuration, could you help me a little with this? The truth is I don't have enough practice to adjust it by ear.

Could you tell me the factory settings for the 57/08?

Just start here (as in the link you posted)

Treble Pickup
2.5/32” [1.9mm] on the treble side.
3.5/32” [2.8mm] on the bass side.
Middle Pickup
3.5/32” [2.8 mm] on the treble side.
4.5/32” [3.6 mm] on the bass side.
Bass Pickup

You may season to taste as you wish.

Just start here (as in the link you posted)

Treble Pickup
2.5/32” [1.9mm] on the treble side.
3.5/32” [2.8mm] on the bass side.
Middle Pickup
Bass Pickup

You may season to taste as you wish.
Well, I put the page because, for example, at the height of the bass, if I make the adjustment indicated there, the pickup is basically sunken below the frame, so I have my doubts if those adjustments will work in my case.

3.6mm will sink your pickup below the frame? Are you sure you’re reading correctly on how to measure the pickup height?

Once the action, intonation and neck relief are set to spec and the instrument is tuned to pitch, with the high and low E strings depressed at the last fret, measurement is taken from the bottom of the string, to the top center of the pickup bobbin or cover.

On my 57/08 guitars:

1. Start with the neck pickup even with the ring and adjust to where I have a good tone/volume match with clean and dirty sounds.

2. To balance, have both pickups selected, and then begin raising the height on the bridge pickup until the tone is "balanced".

What I tend to do is make all my adjustments with a clean amp rig. This allows me to better hear when one pickup begins to overpower the other. Some guitars I want as clean/break-up" guitars. Others I want to be my "heavy" guitars. If I am going for "heavy" guitar I do this:

After step two, give the amp some gain (usually "crunch" or more) and, with both pickups selected, begin tweaking again. Go between each pickup and decide when the balance emphasizes what you want to hear.

Usually I lower the neck pickup BELOW the ring because I use it for dirty rhythm work and flip to the bridge for when I want things to get aggressive. However, my bridge pickup is NEVER hugging the strings. I know it will affect string vibrations and magnetic pull, so I will go close and back off until I have enough kick and things sound clear. From there, all tweaks happen on the amp.

3.6mm will sink your pickup below the frame? Are you sure you’re reading correctly on how to measure the pickup height?

PRS Factory Humbucker Pickup Height Specifications:​

Once the action, intonation and neck relief are set to spec and the instrument is tuned to pitch, with the high and low E strings depressed at the last fret, measurement is taken from the bottom of the string, to the top center of the pickup bobbin or cover.

Yes, if I press the string against the neck, the pickup is below the frame, it is not unusable but it looks pretty bad and I don't think it is the correct position

What i do with neck and bridge pickups is start as low as they will go and play. Cycle between neck both and bridge pickups while slowly raising pickups. 1/4 or 1/2 turn of the screws will make a significant difference so go slow.

It's yours so set it the way you want it.

Good luck

PRS Factory Humbucker Pickup Height Specifications:​

Yes, if I press the string against the neck, the pickup is below the frame, it is not unusable but it looks pretty bad and I don't think it is the correct position

Can you take a pic as the neck to body height is way higher than 3.6mm maybe you’re thinking cm

On my 57/08 guitars:

1. Start with the neck pickup even with the ring and adjust to where I have a good tone/volume match with clean and dirty sounds.

2. To balance, have both pickups selected, and then begin raising the height on the bridge pickup until the tone is "balanced".

What I tend to do is make all my adjustments with a clean amp rig. This allows me to better hear when one pickup begins to overpower the other. Some guitars I want as clean/break-up" guitars. Others I want to be my "heavy" guitars. If I am going for "heavy" guitar I do this:

After step two, give the amp some gain (usually "crunch" or more) and, with both pickups selected, begin tweaking again. Go between each pickup and decide when the balance emphasizes what you want to hear.

Usually I lower the neck pickup BELOW the ring because I use it for dirty rhythm work and flip to the bridge for when I want things to get aggressive. However, my bridge pickup is NEVER hugging the strings. I know it will affect string vibrations and magnetic pull, so I will go close and back off until I have enough kick and things sound clear. From there, all tweaks happen on the amp.
Thank you very much, here is something to start from, the thing is that it did not have any reference and the clear sounds were not good, which is very strange for a 57/08, I downloaded what it says on the PRS page but they do not seem to look good well They are very low, I'm going to go up from there to see what happens,

What i do with neck and bridge pickups is start as low as they will go and play. Cycle between neck both and bridge pickups while slowly raising pickups. 1/4 or 1/2 turn of the screws will make a significant difference so go slow.

Good luck
Thanks I already have a reference to start, I'm going to try it right now

I always start at the pickup ring. Easy.

Good luck
Solid advice. This is very similar to how I do it. I start at the pickup ring. I do one at a time then start cycling through.

Generic published specs mean very little to me when it comes to setups. It's all about what works for me and that guitar. Pickup height included.

Back