Today was my first trip to PRS and the vault.

Tag

First off, Eric at Willcutts is as good as it gets. Zero presure, head full of knowledge, and he must have the luck of the Irish as well. Every set of Quilted tops he pulled from the shelf sight unseen was a knockout, and everyone I pulled was not. I looked at what must have been around 100 tops, and the top 4 were all the first 4 Eric Pulled. How is that possible? If I decide to go to Atlantic city, Eric is going with me. :biggrin: Tina and Paul Miles are right there with him. They seemed as enthused about finding the wood I wanted as I was! Tina has a great artistic sense, and Paul knows what is going work with what, and what you should probably avoid. When they spoke, I shut up and listened. Thats amazing because I usually think I know everything better than everyone. :D All jokes aside, I could not be happier or more impressed. People who know what they are doing, and just as importantly enjoy what they are doing, helping you meet a goal in an area that they are the experts in. I was not really looking forward to going all that much, but I will do it again when I can afford another. And to top it off, I got to meet Paul Reed Smith himself. If it happens again, I would love to ask him some questions. It was right when we first started, and I was still a little uncomfortable. I thought I was going to be rushed, and felt like I was "in the way" for the first 15 minutes, but then I started to see that they really are there to help you, and you can take your time until you get exactly what you want. An amazing experience! My only regret is I would really liked to have met Shawn, but I did not want to ask and possibly get him in trouble, and not sure if anyone other than Employees are allowed into the work area. I should have tried to set it up ahead of time, but never even thought of it. If anyone is thinking of a PS, this is just one more reason to do it. The guitars end up looking and sounding as great as can be, and you get to meet some fun and highly knowledgeable PRS people. How cool is that! :rock:

Yes, onto the pics. This is what I ended up with.

Top: (Thanks again Eric!)
408007211.jpg

Brazzy neck: (Thanks Paul!)

408007209.jpg

Braz Headstock overlay and fingerboard, and lightweight ribbon Mahogany back.

408007210.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to see what you'll come up with!... Even though it'll most likely be a shade of blue.

That is going to be killer! Pre-congrats. Even if it is blue! Is that a brassy neck or board?

Fantastic, Tag! So what's the rest of the spec going to be like? Another semi-hollow?

I can't wait to see what you'll come up with!... Even though it'll most likely be a shade of blue.

Ha! Almost. I was all set for Glacier blue, but then saw an actual piece of quilted wood they had in Pomegranate, and thats what it will be.

That is going to be killer! Pre-congrats. Even if it is blue! Is that a brassy neck or board?

Thanks! Both are Brazilian, as is the overlay. Great prices on really nice Brazzy right now.

Fantastic, Tag! So what's the rest of the spec going to be like? Another semi-hollow?

Of course. :redface: Basically another Semi hollow with trem Artist 3, but with brazzy neck and fingerboard in Pomegranate.

Great post! Congrats. I look forward to seeing and hearing the final product, a few months from now.
When I was having PS 65 built, my pusher arranged a trip to the factory, etc. The neck was complete already, but something happened to the body and they had to start over again with a new piece of wood. Dave Hazel said, "you're here, you might as well pick it yourself." So, he assisted me in picking out the mahogany back and one piece maple top. He also sent polaroid photos (pre-internet) of the work in progress. I was able to have someone take a photo of me holding the completed neck.
I've been to the factory a few times since and now that I live in NV, it is harder to get there, not a few hour drive anymore. If I ever build another PS, I'll have my pusher, who now works there pick the woods out for me. He knows what I like. I'm sure they won't mind if I spec it out that way.
Congrats again on a cool experience.

Amazing quilt Tag! When Eric is at the factory, I try to stop by to say "hi" but I also try not to disturbe him while he's with customers, that is their time (your time) and most people don't want me butting in while their trying to create their masterpiece. Sorry I missed you.

Awesome. Make sure you keep us updated so i can live through your experience. I don't think i will ever be in the position to have a PS built, but I am a huge fan of the process, pictures Shawn shares here, and the results of their work. .

RIGHT ON, TAG!!!

Eric C is one of the best, if not THE best. And yeah, Paul Miles and Tina are fabulous people to work with. So glad you got to make the trip. Can't wait to see the end result! :) :) :)

And pomegranate: like my old Klein Electric. Beautiful!

Awesome! can't wait to see the final result. That top is going to rock!

Top notch. The striations in the quilt look like they might cut you.

Thanks Steve. Its a nice piece, and there were 3-4 others just as nice. There was one that was unreal, but had this strange swirl at the top. I thought of you right away liking "different" pieces of wood, and almost went for that one myself.

Amazing quilt Tag! When Eric is at the factory, I try to stop by to say "hi" but I also try not to disturbe him while he's with customers, that is their time (your time) and most people don't want me butting in while their trying to create their masterpiece. Sorry I missed you.

Hey Shawn. Next time I will plan it a LOT better and hopefully get to say hello in person. I was in a total rush the entire trip this time, and the only thing that was enjoyable was my time at PRS.

Thanks everyone else as well, really looking forward to a non Turquoise PRS! :D This is the correct specs on what I originally wanted with my first one. Keep your fingers crossed!

How long do these guitars take to make once you've selected the wood and specs and what not, and is this only available with artist packages?

Back