PRS and Iron Hear pickups

Rogingat

I recently bought my first PRS guitar. A slightly used 2014 S2 Single Cut Standard. I am very happy with it and play it a lot. At first, I was quite curious as to why the first owner removed the original PRS #7 pickups and installed Iron Gear (Blues Engine and Dirty Torque) pickups. I have never played a guitar with #7 pickups so I have no reference point! I can however compare the IG pickups to my Epiphone 2010 Tribute LP which has Gibson Classic 57 pickups. The IG are brighter and need to be pushed quite hard before they start to break up. If I want to get a dirty sound I usually use a pedal. On the other hand the Classic 57 PUs get dirty real fast. I still wonder what the #7 PU is likeÉ

I recently bought my first PRS guitar. A slightly used 2014 S2 Single Cut Standard. I am very happy with it and play it a lot. At first, I was quite curious as to why the first owner removed the original PRS #7 pickups and installed Iron Gear (Blues Engine and Dirty Torque) pickups. I have never played a guitar with #7 pickups so I have no reference point! I can however compare the IG pickups to my Epiphone 2010 Tribute LP which has Gibson Classic 57 pickups. The IG are brighter and need to be pushed quite hard before they start to break up. If I want to get a dirty sound I usually use a pedal. On the other hand the Classic 57 PUs get dirty real fast. I still wonder what the #7 PU is likeÉ

My pops-in-law has the same IG pickups in an LP style guitar. They’re good for the money, but still what I would class as budget.

Back