My thoughts on the new [to me] cu22

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Spent a couple of hours with Morgan after getting off work. Put her through my Fender HR DeVille, and my Headrush pedalboard through my computer monitors. And..... Well..... Oh my GOD! I know it has only been a few months. But, I had almost forgotten the FEEL of a custom 22. I settled back into the wide fat feel in just about 10 or 15 minutes (it had been quite some time since even Dottie was a wide thin). And then it was like being home again. You know when you step in the door from being away for a while, and that smell of your own house hits you? The feel of that flooring or carpet on your feet at night when you get up to go to the bathroom? That ability to navigate it, in the dark, half asleep, because you are trying not to wake anyone else? THAT is the feeling I have right now. I really have done quite a lot of playing since I had to get rid of Dottie. Both in rehearsals, and out. [My parts were finished at the studio before I said goodbye to Dottie -- thank God]. And, the guitar I was playing is certainly quite nice [and will still be my number 2 at this point]. But something about what it feels like, not just in the hands, but internally, that makes a custom 22 MY guitar. I know that they are one of the least coveted core models. Not even made any more because there are other 22 fret models that get more fan fare [and, lets face it, sales]. But this has been MY guitar since around 2000. And it is where I belong.

My apologies for the gushing. I just figured not many other places to vent about it where people MIGHT actually understand.

Is this accurate?
Yeah man. Some time around 2020 or so. I can't remember the exact year, they core custom 22 stopped being in the catalog. My understanding is that it has happened before in the past, and they came back. But, I haven't seen just a regular old Core custom 22, that was brand new since about that time. WL, if I am not mistaken is usually special ordered from certain dealers. But as far as the basic production ones, I believe they are done. At least for now.

I have two large dogs and I don't recognize house smell
Me too. And somehow, I still recognize the smell of my own.......😁🐶

316545399_10167120466440331_205033232318004281_n.jpg

Funny observation about the 22. I prefer a 22 over a 24, for all kinds of ergonomical reasons and was kind of sad it got the axe.

Prefer a HT as well over a trem equipped guitar. I have one CU22 HT, argubly my best playing guitar (WT neck), two McCs, one P90, one dial HB. Not redundant, since they all play and sound significantly different. My most beautuful - and expensive - PRS is a CU24 ltd. but gets less playing time than the others, due to the fact the 22 is so crazy good.

Spent a couple of hours with Morgan after getting off work. Put her through my Fender HR DeVille, and my Headrush pedalboard through my computer monitors. And..... Well..... Oh my GOD! I know it has only been a few months. But, I had almost forgotten the FEEL of a custom 22. I settled back into the wide fat feel in just about 10 or 15 minutes (it had been quite some time since even Dottie was a wide thin). And then it was like being home again. You know when you step in the door from being away for a while, and that smell of your own house hits you? The feel of that flooring or carpet on your feet at night when you get up to go to the bathroom? That ability to navigate it, in the dark, half asleep, because you are trying not to wake anyone else? THAT is the feeling I have right now. I really have done quite a lot of playing since I had to get rid of Dottie. Both in rehearsals, and out. [My parts were finished at the studio before I said goodbye to Dottie -- thank God]. And, the guitar I was playing is certainly quite nice [and will still be my number 2 at this point]. But something about what it feels like, not just in the hands, but internally, that makes a custom 22 MY guitar. I know that they are one of the least coveted core models. Not even made any more because there are other 22 fret models that get more fan fare [and, lets face it, sales]. But this has been MY guitar since around 2000. And it is where I belong.

My apologies for the gushing. I just figured not many other places to vent about it where people MIGHT actually understand.

It really is ridiculously awesome when you discover the guitar that is the just right Goldilocks guitar for you! You just perfectly described the way I felt when I got back to the Vela a couple months back - it's just my guitar. Fits like a comfy, broken in pair of jeans in all the right ways.

I'm psyched for you that you got back to the right guitar :).

As a regular production model...but still 'available'?
Depends on what you mean by "available". There are many of them on the used market. I spend most of my time looking there anyway. So, yes, you can find them. But if you mean ones that are new, unless some place just has one leftover that didn't sell, or you get a Private Stock built for you, or some shop orders a special run of wood library stuff, then no, they are no longer available from PRS.

Depends on what you mean by "available". There are many of them on the used market. I spend most of my time looking there anyway. So, yes, you can find them. But if you mean ones that are new, unless some place just has one leftover that didn't sell, or you get a Private Stock built for you, or some shop orders a special run of wood library stuff, then no, they are no longer available from PRS.
https://www.davesguitar.com/collect...iris-w-swamp-ash?_pos=25&_fid=ed1df8ac5&_ss=c

https://www.davesguitar.com/collect...oducts/custom-23?_pos=81&_fid=ed1df8ac5&_ss=c

If I can go out and buy new right now, that fits my definition of available, regardless of how they came to be.

Here is a video about it from a few years back

I can't agree with Phillip here, I'm glad PRS doesn't go with the Ibanez naming scheme where every feature is spelled out in the model name.

That "Special" shown would turn into "CU22HNFHSHDCT5WST" (Custom 22 Humbucker NarrowField Humbucker Semi Hollow Dual Coil Tap 5 Way Switch Tremolo")

I mean, at that point the model name is just the MODCAT. 😆

I can't agree with Phillip here, I'm glad PRS doesn't go with the Ibanez naming scheme where every feature is spelled out in the model name.

That "Special" shown would turn into "CU22HNFHSHDCT5WST" (Custom 22 Humbucker NarrowField Humbucker Semi Hollow Dual Coil Tap 5 Way Switch Tremolo")

I mean, at that point the model name is just the MODCAT. 😆
I don't necessarily agree with his take on it. Or the naming process. I was just looking for verification to post that PRS has stopped producing Custom 22s. (Much to my chagrin).

Now, the numbered pickup names.....well......that is a different story. 🤣

Back