Playing some new PRS SE models surprised me..

snfrd84

Went to a local shop since I was near their new location and played the new SE CE, DGT, Silver Sky (Core version too) and the Peacock Blue Hollowbody.

The SE CE and SS to me felt like the widest of necks and the DGT, having the 10" radius felt more comfy, thought it was odd. I was expecting the SE SS to feel great. Sure, the back of the neck was smooth but man, not sure why it wasn't comfy to me. Maybe the shoulders? Not sure.

The HB and DGT to me had the most comfy necks.

Now the Core SS, was the Maple version, but man, what a neck and easy to bend too. I felt the hype.

Cool! I have great satisfaction playing SE guitars these days. Enough so that I do not miss all the Core guitars that hav long since sailed away from me.

Cool! I have great satisfaction playing SE guitars these days. Enough so that I do not miss all the Core guitars that hav long since sailed away from me.
They were nice though. Just found it odd, that the 8.5 radius neck felt bigger, wider than the 10". Maybe I'm weird, lol.

I have found that "vintage" radius necks are cool for me doing chords. I have a bigger issue with nut width, really, versus radius. Have not yet tried a Silver Sky of any level. I built this instead:

It's a Warmoth parts build.

* Alder body body, HSH rout
* Roasted Maple left-handed neck (no side dots - don't need 'em!)
* IRW fretboard
* 10"-16" Compound Radius
* 1 11/16" nut width

* Custom-machined bridge with a Stainless Steel Base Plate, solid Brass Block and Brass Saddles
* Alnico V pickups
* Volume + PTB tone circuit (wired to the OG spec with the reverse 1 meg pot for bass cut)
* Add neck switch
* Treble boost switch
* Alembic Blaster preamp - like the SS "Dead Spec". Offers a 3 (or 6 don't remember or care, really) decibel FET boost
* Custom milled EXTRA thick stainless steel neck plate (it adds a TON of mass at the neck pocket)

The guitar is the RADDEST strat I have ever played. It is VERY comfortable, but quite heavy. However, all that Brass and Stainless Steel REALLY improve sustain. The notes ring like I have a sustainiac installed - even without turning on the preamp.

It kinda made me forget about trying a SS!!!

I have found that "vintage" radius necks are cool for me doing chords. I have a bigger issue with nut width, really, versus radius. Have not yet tried a Silver Sky of any level. I built this instead:

It's a Warmoth parts build.

* Alder body body, HSH rout
* Roasted Maple left-handed neck (no side dots - don't need 'em!)
* IRW fretboard
* 10"-16" Compound Radius
* 1 11/16" nut width

* Custom-machined bridge with a Stainless Steel Base Plate, solid Brass Block and Brass Saddles
* Alnico V pickups
* Volume + PTB tone circuit (wired to the OG spec with the reverse 1 meg pot for bass cut)
* Add neck switch
* Treble boost switch
* Alembic Blaster preamp - like the SS "Dead Spec". Offers a 3 (or 6 don't remember or care, really) decibel FET boost
* Custom milled EXTRA thick stainless steel neck plate (it adds a TON of mass at the neck pocket)

The guitar is the RADDEST strat I have ever played. It is VERY comfortable, but quite heavy. However, all that Brass and Stainless Steel REALLY improve sustain. The notes ring like I have a sustainiac installed - even without turning on the preamp.

It kinda made me forget about trying a SS!!!
Dude, that's a badass build!

I felt the same about the SE SS maple neck. Not even close to what I was expecting.

Love to try a rosewood one though.
To me, the rosewood width, radius wise felt the same. Felt so much more wider, shoulder to shoulder than depth.

Back