Hollowbody Core necks.

Big Owl

Tone is everything
Greetings
I am joining the PRS crowd, after having played a great solid body at a friend's house.
My question is about the necks on new PRS Hollowbody core guitars.
The ad copy describes the "P"" version as having a flat wide neck, whereas the non "P" has the classic neck.
I have owned 2 Gibson ES 335 guitars and felt at home
on those necks.
I feel like the classic neck on the non "P" version might be more like what I had.
Also, was wondering if you guys thought it was worth the $ to go core vs SE. I think quality has become inconsistent on the latter since they are now from China.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks. Big Owl

The two hollowbody models PRS currently offers in the core lineup are the Hollowbody II Piezo and the McCarty 594 Hollowbody II. The necks are very similar in carve and feel (the difference between Pattern and Pattern Vintage is 1/32" depth at the nut) and I switch between them comfortably. The biggest and most noticeable difference, imho (and I should note that I do own both guitars), is the scale length. The 24.594" scale of the McCarty 594 Hollowbody is the same as what you find on the Gibson 335, and if you like that scale length, you should probably go that route unless you really want the Piezo...

The whole truth, however, is that these are very different guitars, in more than just neck carve and scale length. Different tuners, body sizes, nut material, body thickness, the size of the body block that supports the bridge and bonds the top and back, as well as the lack of coil taps and the added piezo - all these things conspire to make the original model Hollowbody II quite different from the McCarty version...

Going to the SE version (and yes, I do own an SE Hollowbody Standard), the differences are even more pronounced. The SE version is really a completely different design that shares the same name as the core model. It uses laminate wood for the top and back (like a Gibson 335) and is bigger than than either core model. They're very nice guitars at the price point but there's really no similarity besides the shared name.

The great thing is that no matter which way you chose to go, you win! They're all great guitars, and I'm sure you'll find one meant for your hands.

good luck

wMzns1O.jpg

Last edited:
The two hollowbody models PRS currently offers in the core lineup are the Hollowbody II Piezo and the McCarty 594 Hollowbody II. The necks are very similar in carve and feel (the difference between Pattern and Pattern Vintage is 1/32" depth at the nut) and I switch between them comfortably. The biggest and most noticeable difference, imho (and I should note that I do own both guitars), is the scale length. The 24.594" scale of the McCarty 594 Hollowbody is the same as what you find on the Gibson 335, and if you like that scale length, you should probably go that route unless you really want the Piezo...

The whole truth, however, is that these are very different guitars, in more than just neck carve and scale length. Different tuners, body sizes, nut material, body thickness, the size of the body block that supports the bridge and bonds the top and back, as well as the lack of coil taps and the added piezo - all these things conspire to make the original model Hollowbody II quite different from the McCarty version...

Going to the SE version (and yes, I do own an SE Hollowbody Standard), the differences are even more pronounced. The SE version is really a completely different design that shares the same name as the core model. It uses laminate wood for the top and back (like a Gibson 335) and is bigger than than either core model. They're very nice guitars at the price point but there's really no similarity besides the shared name.

The great thing is that no matter which way you chose to go, you win! They're all great guitars, and I'm sure you'll find one meant for your hands.

good luck

wMzns1O.jpg
I have two HBII guitars, a single cut and a double cut both with piezo. I didn't know there was a difference between them and the HB 594 in the carving inside. Can you describe the difference in more detail? I am guessing the block in the 594 is bigger since the bridge has two pieces and needs more area to mount them.

I have two HBII guitars, a single cut and a double cut both with piezo. I didn't know there was a difference between them and the HB 594 in the carving inside. Can you describe the difference in more detail? I am guessing the block in the 594 is bigger since the bridge has two pieces and needs more area to mount them.

Yes, the block is significantly larger on the 594 HBII, and the body is not as deep. The sides on the original Hollowbody II guitars are noticeably wider.

Since they’re so different, you should probably add a 594 HBII to your stable, you know, in the interests of covering all your bases. ;)

Yes, the block is significantly larger on the 594 HBII, and the body is not as deep. The sides on the original Hollowbody II guitars are noticeably wider.

Since they’re so different, you should probably add a 594 HBII to your stable, you know, in the interests of covering all your bases. ;)
I have a solid body 594 so I am in the ballpark with the group of them... :)

No opinion on the Core vs SE debates, but I can say a core 594 HBII is like a 335 with a less large feeling body. I also have two Hollowbody Spruce models, and they are fully the business, if you get my meaning… 100% tone machines. If you like the 335, I think you’d be immediately at home on a 594 HB.

Thanks Rick.
I am having a hard time accepting the cost of the core, even though for once in my life I can afford it. Just didn't want to spend so much, if an SE was close on tone and playability.

The core is WELL worth the additional $$$ IMO.
I love both my HB 594 and HBII, but did not care at all for the 2 SEs I played. YMMV as usual!
Adding...just checked and my HB594 is slightly deeper than my HB2. The HB 2 is the more hollow sounding guitar though, due to the smaller internal block. Mine is the non piezo model which has an even smaller internal block than the piezo model.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I like the yellow tiger, but seeing a lot of variation in the finish. Maybe a black gold bust. It would look more like my sweet departed wife. She was brunette.
After playing my friends prs, I wanted one. But when I found out there was a McCarty (her maiden/ family name) version, I now have to get one. After a year of sadness and little playing, I want to fall in love with playing again. And I will do it with a PRS McCarty !

Cool! Just so you know, the SE Hollowbodies have always been made in China. I broke my no Chinese guitars rule after playing one. I’m playing the musical “Alice by Heart” ar a local high school, and the SE piezo replaces two guitars in the pit. The pit is always an afterthought. This one is so tight, we have our amplifiers under the stage.

Thanks Dog,
I appreciate that information wondering if you.kinda got a good one. There are so many used ones for sale. It seems like people are maybe weeding through them, to get the better ones ?
I am happy that you have found an instrument that you are so happy with. Have you played others of the same model ,?

Thanks Dog,
I appreciate that information wondering if you.kinda got a good one. There are so many used ones for sale. It seems like people are maybe weeding through them, to get the better ones ?
I am happy that you have found an instrument that you are so happy with. Have you played others of the same model ,?
The se Hb2 is a good guitar. I've played plenty and been happy with most, if not all of them. They are consistently one of the best se out there.

I've been gassing for a hollowbody for a long time. I kept looking at cores. For whatever reason I don't get along with the 594 PV profile, but the Hb2 neck is whole different story..Pattern is my fav. Not ever owning a HB I really wasn't sure how much I'd actually play it, and if I wanted to part with the $$$. So, I picked up the se Hb2 as a gateway drug.

It's a keeper. Although not on the same level or the same as the core. It's a solid guitar. I still want a core, but it's gone down my list of wants because I found I don't play a hollowbody much. I enjoy playing one on occasion, but it's really not my thing.

Someday the right hollowbody will come around, but until then my se Hb2 fills the slot with a pretty damn good guitar.

I have played such a variety of music on my PRS Hollow Body Piezo guitars... They really are very versatile guitars. I run the Piezo into either a Fishman Aura or the Fly Rig Acoustic then to the FOH and feed it back in my monitor. It sounds good that way. I love being able to mix that in wherever I want to. These guitars don't have coil taps on them or that would make it even more versatile. However, I have gone on a clean channel with a compressor when on the bridge pickup and moved my hand back toward the bridge a little and pulled off some nice snappy country tones with it. Then in the same song kick on some OD and move my hand back to where it normally is and I am in the rock zone. I play Friends In Low Places from beginning to end on one of these. I start out with acoustic then flip to an OD tone then a bit more gain and volume for the solo then work my way back to acoustic for the end. People are amazed that I do all of those sounds on one guitar.

Back