Question on back of neck on 2021 PRS Hollowbody II 594

kensmith

I am considering a purchase of a used 2021 PRS Hollowbody II 594, which has been listed as "as-new/mint" from factory. One thing I noticed in the pics is that the back of the neck is not high gloss (and appears to be a satin type finish). I was not sure if this was a user modification, or if perhaps somewhere along the way in 2021, PRS added this feature, or as an option.
I have not seen any non gloss back of neck in any pics that I seen on any of these models (2019-2024) so I asked the seller if this was a mod or came from the factory. His response was that this was all PRS and has not been modded.

Any input or intel would be much appreciated and I am supposed to meet up this weekend!

What say the experts? Here are some pics:

aRBaRm8.jpg
wOHAD9a.jpg

It's not uncommon for people to "scuff " the neck to break the glaze .
I use 3000 grit wet, some are a bit more agressive and use scotch brite .
If you don't like it ..a couple of coats of Nitro and your done either way .. cheap and easy mod

You can see the line where the gloss ends coming from the headstock. That isn't like that from the factory. Another thing I find interesting is the first picture looks like a mahogany neck. The heel in the second picture looks like it could be rosewood. If it were rosewood, I could see it having a satin finish. Mahogany would be gloss. The hang tag doesn't say it has a rosewood neck and outside of the heel, it looks like mahogany to me.

Maybe he isn't the person that bought the guitar new and the neck was like that when he bought it so he thinks it was made that way by PRS.

You can see the line where the gloss ends coming from the headstock. That isn't like that from the factory. Another thing I find interesting is the first picture looks like a mahogany neck. The heel in the second picture looks like it could be rosewood. If it were rosewood, I could see it having a satin finish. Mahogany would be gloss. The hang tag doesn't say it has a rosewood neck and outside of the heel, it looks like mahogany to me.

Maybe he isn't the person that bought the guitar new and the neck was like that when he bought it so he thinks it was made that way by PRS.
PRS stamps the serial number on rosewood necks, that one is written in paint so it is mahogany.

Thanks all for confirming what I suspected that this was a mod done after manufacture. I have seen some PRS guitars with gloss bodies and satin neck back, but in those cases....the back of headstock is satin as well. This one was clearly masked off to treat the back of the neck. I understand that PRS shop will modify a gloss to satin neck for $100 fee, but I suspect that they would also treat the back of headstock rather than mask part off. Can anyone confirm that? I do suspect that the owner was not aware that it did not come from factory this way. I actually would likely prefer the feel personally so not an issue but do you guys feel that it would affect that value of the guitar in any way. He is "marketing" it as new on craigslist.

Thanks to you all for the great feedback. The seller stood me up on our trade deal and he took another offer. I suspect he didn't like that I was questioning his "as new condition" guitar. Oh well....perhaps for the best.

Thanks to you all for the great feedback. The seller stood me up on our trade deal and he took another offer. I suspect he didn't like that I was questioning his "as new condition" guitar. Oh well....perhaps for the best.
That's too bad mate.
I love the feel of satin or rosewood necks, so had it been in otherwise mint shape I'd have pounced on it.
Bummer he ran away... the search continues... :)

Back