New 2024 Finishes - Antique White and Black with Natural Backs...

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
I discovered last night in looking at the updates to the Core line on the PRS Website that they will now be offering Antique White and Black with Natural Backs!

I am excited about this, I have like the notion of a Black or White guitar (including Antique White, which I think I prefer over a stark White), but I haven't purchased many (just a Black SC 594 from what I recall) because the backs and necks were painted too. I really like the notion of having a lower priced non-10-Top with a modest look of a painted top, but being able to see the beauty of the natural grain of the wood on the back and neck, particularly on the neck while playing.

Also, PRS seems to be painting the Natural backs and necks a little darker these days, which I mentioned on another thread - and I think it looks great. Also the necks seem to be a little darker in tone than the bodies, which I also really like.

I am very picky when it comes to tops, so being able to take that angst out of the equation by just doing a plain painted top with the beauty of a Natural back and neck seems like that would be a nice option.

Here is the back and neck of my new Custom 2408, I think it looks killer! The thought of that look on the back and neck with a Black or Antique White Top sounds pretty interesting.

TaldSo8.jpg

(I really like the new tuner knobs on it too! Especially after hearing the story behind them from Paul yesterday.)

I'm with you Pete and likely when a White CU 24-08 (new 408 p'up config) hits the open market my credit card is going to be in some serious trouble (if I can hold out that long).

I like a good natural back. My 594 is a royal blue metallic top with a natural back. It is a custom color with a one piece back. The back was a good bit lighter color when I first bought the guitar. It has darkened over the years. There is much more contrast between the mahogany back and scraped binding than there was when it was new. I have been noticing that over the past couple of weeks.

No it’s stained charcoal. My theory is the top was supposed to be a 10 top stained in charcoal but something was wrong with it so they painted it black. There’s a tag in the pickup cavity that looks like it said 10 top but they crossed it out.

PRS definitely doesnt just slap a neck like that on a regular ol' guitar. That was definitely meant for a different life for sure. I thought it was kinda of poetic that they blacked out the 10-top sticker similar to how they blacked out the actual top lol.

No it’s stained charcoal. My theory is the top was supposed to be a 10 top stained in charcoal but something was wrong with it so they painted it black. There’s a tag in the pickup cavity that looks like it said 10 top but they crossed it out.
Was that one sold as a wood library model? I notice it has WL on the modcat in the pup cavity. I guess it would have to be with that back and neck.
Very nice... it has an f-hole.. I approve :D

Was that one sold as a wood library model? I notice it has WL on the modcat in the pup cavity. I guess it would have to be with that back and neck.
Very nice... it has an f-hole.. I approve :D
Yea the dealer had it listed as a wood library model. They did say they asked PRS to do a wood library run of opaque tops and stained necks but they wouldn’t do it.

Back