Removing swirl/scratches from black poly finished backs?

jtbadge

Hello - currently in the market for a 90s/00s Custom 24 or 22 and seeing a lot of great looking guitars with swirly/scratched up poly finish on the black painted backs backs - these predate nitro finishing on PRSi so specifically looking for info on restoring a poly finish.

Has anyone had success removing these without damaging the finish? Please let me know what products could do the trick. Thank you!

Last edited:
It depends how deep the scratches are. They can get to a depth where they can't be polished out, and some dig into the wood, so the guitar would have to be refinished.

If the scratches or swirls aren't too deep, I've had excellent luck with the Virtuoso polishes. They come in two grits: one is very fine for the light swirls and light scratches. The other is a little less fine for deeper scratches, and after using it, you follow up with the fine polish. Chances are you'll need both.

Some of the Meguiar's polishes that are used on show car lacquer are very effective, though most formulated for deep scratches are formulated for a machine polisher. They make a wide array of grits and formulas. Again, you want to start out with the lightest grit that will do the job, and follow up with the finest grit.

Griot's Garage also has some very good polishes in various grits.

Remember that polishes work by removing finish. You only want to go so deep so the finish isn't destroyed. If you're polishing by hand, light, fast strokes work better than hard rubbing. You want the particles in the polish to break down and do the work.

I use a soft microfiber cloth for hand polishing, since it doesn't add swirl marks of its own. Cotton will add its own swirl marks.

I haven't tried the new PRS polish that's nitro-safe. Perhaps others can chime in.

I’ve used this on nitro-over-poly before (AO Strat) and it worked well. Not sure about all poly, but could be worth a look.

D_AddarioRestoreDeepCleaningPolish-1-ShopTheTwelfthFret_800x.jpg

Stew-Mac Swirl remover , or fine polishing compound the fine will NOT harm nitro finishes if hand rubbed. I"ve used automotive versions but prefer the Luthiers versions as they are very fine and non intrusive.

That Planet Waves product looks like its part of a whole system which seems like a good deal. I wonder if I still have all my points stashed somewhere from all of the Daddario and Evans crap I've bought over the last like 20 years - could be free!

Stew-Mac Swirl remover , or fine polishing compound the fine will NOT harm nitro finishes if hand rubbed. I"ve used automotive versions but prefer the Luthiers versions as they are very fine and non intrusive.
If I used an automotive product I would probably use a McGuire's #9 swirl remover or higher. It is good to know there is something out there specifically for guitar finishes. Stew Mac is definitely a place I would have looked for something like that. They have a lot of very good products.

Back