Thoughts on Gibson’s new management/direction?

And I get that.
But... look at a core PRS and a core Gibson. Similar price? I guess it's close.
Gibson needs to charge custom shop prices for core PRS quality.

No argument from me. I’ve made this statement repeatedly on this forum: “Nobody beats PRS quality at all lines/tiers.” I can attest to that point as a fairly decent customer.

All I’m saying is there is consistency in their custom shop models, especially in recent years. And, that’s all that I’m attracted to within their offerings.

Last edited:
No argument from me. I’ve made this statement repeatedly on this forum: “Nobody beats PRS quality at all lines.” I can attest to that point as a fairly decent customer.

All I’m saying is there is consistency in their custom shop models, especially in recent years. And, that’s all that I’m attracted to within their offerings.
Fair enough mate.
All I'm saying is if my local store had a "wall o' pauls" (tm) and I picked one up and it was as good as the next one and the next one, and they all sounded good. That's when I'd be tempted to spill the cash for an even better one.
They aren't, so I'm not.
Perhaps things will change.

I once, ok more than once, heard a great man say, "all other guitars are stupid." Sometimes "stupid" is supplanted with "trash" :p
Yes, we know their guitars are stupid. This is just about their management. (Which certainly used to be stupid!) :D

All I'm saying is if my local store had a "wall o' pauls" (tm) and I picked one up and it was as good as the next one and the next one, and they all sounded good. That's when I'd be tempted to spill the cash for an even better one.

That’s why they should use this opportunity to pivot, Fire everybody but the accountants and the Custom Shop builders, and make all Les Paul’s (and everything else) the top-o-the-line versions for $9000 and let the poor people go f@ck themselves.

Ahh ah!t. See, this is what happens whenever I play god, Monopoly, or simulation video games.....I always wind up a fascist dictator.

That’s why they should use this opportunity to pivot, Fire everybody but the accountants and the Custom Shop builders, and make all Les Paul’s (and everything else) the top-o-the-line versions for $9000 and let the poor people go f@ck themselves.

Ahh ah!t. See, this is what happens whenever I play god, Monopoly, or simulation video games.....I always wind up a fascist dictator.
I don't GAF
What I play works best. And what I play is in my sig.

If you’re referring to their “standard production” models, I concur. However, their custom shop models are excellent in my experience (and I have quite a few).

Yes I am. I’m glad you’ve had a great experience with custom shop models and that you like a lot of features. Noted.

That said, a lot of people have talked of the regular line’s issues for years, perhaps you haven’t heard this, that’s fine, others have.

I’d like to see an import ‘Gibson’ on the headstock guitar for a grand.

Make it in Asia or Mexico, use poly finish, etc. I’d buy an ‘SE’ Les Paul if they made it.

And I admit it’d sway me if it said Gibson, not Epiphone.

Gibson should make what they are best known for and quit trying to be innovative. Gibson sucks at innovation.

Not only that but now it seems that they are being run by a whole bunch of individuals who can't even play Smoke On The Water (on a guitar). Looking at Fender's long weird history and Gibson's more recent history of weirdness (including how they have been ripping of ideas from PRS), this all reaffirms in my own mind that of "The Big Three", PRS is now number 1. Gibson is #2 and Fender is #3.

Side note... not sure if anyone here knew that Carvin went out of business. What is left of them is a handful of useless electronic things and some really weird looking guitars being made under the brand name of Keisel. <barf>

Yes I am. I’m glad you’ve had a great experience with custom shop models and that you like a lot of features. Noted.

That said, a lot of people have talked of the regular line’s issues for years, perhaps you haven’t heard this, that’s fine, others have.

:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe you need to go back and reread my posts. Where have I defended the “regular line?” :confused::confused::confused:

Please don’t attempt to put your slant on my comments. My statement that Gibson Custom makes good quality instruments stands; nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe you need to go back and reread my posts. Where have I defended the “regular line?” :confused::confused::confused:

Please don’t attempt to put your slant on my comments. My statement that Gibson Custom makes good quality instruments stands; nothing more, nothing less.

I’m not slanting anything, but it seemed you were hammering the point home that you’ve had good guitars from custom shop - great, but you’ve left several comments stressing that.

I confirmed I was talking about regular line and that your comments were noted, a few times.

Maybe we can just move on.

Gibson should make what they are best known for and quit trying to be innovative. Gibson sucks at innovation.

Not only that but now it seems that they are being run by a whole bunch of individuals who can't even play Smoke On The Water (on a guitar). Looking at Fender's long weird history and Gibson's more recent history of weirdness (including how they have been ripping of ideas from PRS), this all reaffirms in my own mind that of "The Big Three", PRS is now number 1. Gibson is #2 and Fender is #3.

Side note... not sure if anyone here knew that Carvin went out of business. What is left of them is a handful of useless electronic things and some really weird looking guitars being made under the brand name of Keisel. <barf>

Well the new boss is a guitar collector and was a pro player apparently.

I take your point that a player should be in charge, but I’m not certain (could be wrong) that it matters that the entire board play.

It seems their factory was run terribly, people were fired on a whim, the last one I bought new had 4 tall frets and was returned. I imagine it’s hard to run a successful team on fear with sky high turnover of staff.

Some of the recent models just seemed like appalling decisions. The Firebird Zero; it just seemed like ‘let’s make whatever and sell it, it doesn’t matter’ - it does matter.

If they made a Korean Gibson, like an LTD eclipse, I’d love one.

To be honest, I don't really care that much what Gibson does. I gave up on their guitars years ago & switched to - you guessed it - PRS and have never looked back.

As a strategist however I have to say that Gibson as well as Fender have left me someone baffled as to their branding strategy?????Too many versions of the same product.

I’m not slanting anything, but it seemed you were hammering the point home that you’ve had good guitars from custom shop - great, but you’ve left several comments stressing that.

I confirmed I was talking about regular line and that your comments were noted, a few times.

Maybe we can just move on.

I think that’s a swell idea.

There’s enough negativity in the world.

My top 10 ideas to improve Gibson:
1. Quality Control
2. Quality Control
3. Quality Control
4. Quality Control
5. Quality Control
6. Consolidate Models, how many different models of LP or 335 do we really need? Boogie Van LP model anyone?
7. Real, correct, affordable Junior Models-LP and SG. Love everything about the 2019 LP JR DC at $799, except the blatant ripoff on the S2 type pickguard. And $1429 for an SG Jr isn't entry level anymore IMO.
8. If they really want to test out new tech, looking at you robot tuners and pcb's, maybe run it out under the Epiphone Masterbuilt name instead of Gibson to see if it'll fly first before going all in with Core Gibson's.
9. Prewired retrofit harnesses for those that already have pcb's, that are inline price-wise with the aftermarket.
10. Bring back Ren Ferguson as a consultant for the Bozeman facility. Too many duds to get through before you find a gem Gibby acoustic IMHO.

Reactions: CVS
I am also a member of the Gibson forum, and I read what they say of PRS guitars.
Most of the reaction to the new management there is a general bitchiness about price hikes.

I joined the Gibson forum in 2015 and could barely believe the depth of vitriolic hated of the 2015 Nashville models.
It was proof that the Gibson faithful will not permit Gibson to move beyond 1959.

I would like to see Gibson strengthen their headstocks by:
1/ replacing the one piece neck/headstock with a scarf joint. They already use this on certain ES models.
2/ Incorporate a volute.
3/ Use maple necks rather than mahogany necks (My ES-339 Studio has a maple neck with a heat treated maple fingerboard).
Redesigned headstocks with a straight string path (like PRS).

Abandon forever nitro finishes. Its filthy stuff that is unfit for purpose. Oil or poly finishes are fine.

I hope Gibson continue the HP models. I would like an adjustable titanium nut on all my guitars.

I have a few Gibsons but all I play is PRS. If nothing else but for the history of a great American guitar manufacturer, I hope the new captains steer it into a better direction than past management. I am sure there are many great luthiers and employees there, that just like PRS employees love guitars and making them. They deserve to be treated better by management and deserve this change. Like everything, time will tell.

Back