The Rumor Mill, an ignominious repository

"I read it on the interwebz, so it must be true..."

Rumor number 2.

Scarf joints are weak and kill the tone of a guitar.

It's twoo! It's twoo!!!!!!!

guitar-dressed-man-s-blue-shirt-scarf-knitted-cap-next-to-wall-flowers-113284070.jpg

While a vast majority here are neither doctors nor lawyers, a core model PRS IS an expensive instrument. I'm sure they are purchased mainly by "white collar" professionals. I guess that's why there's some stigma attached to them.

I was watching a Rush documentary (not sure which one) and the producer of Counterparts (who goes by the name Caveman) threw a fit and wouldn't let Alex Lifeson play his PRS guitars for the album. The Caveman said (I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact quote), "You can't play those. They're coffee tables. They're furniture. You need a guitar with balls."

I don't understand the PRS "hate". They're flashy and expensive and also damn fine guitars. Whatever.....

i truly like flash guitars and always wanted an alembic bass with lights and rubies, but green abalone inlays and brushstroke birds do remind me of shell shop earrings and getting caught in the rain. i dont think it’s a problem for the brand.

also, the idea you need ‘balls’ to play rock is old-fashioned, even for cave times.

I was watching a Rush documentary (not sure which one) and the producer of Counterparts (who goes by the name Caveman) threw a fit and wouldn't let Alex Lifeson play his PRS guitars for the album. The Caveman said (I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact quote), "You can't play those. They're coffee tables. They're furniture. You need a guitar with balls."

There’s no figuring out ignorant anuses.

What’s more difficult for me to understand is why Lifeson, who’s certainly earned the right to choose his own instrument, would want to obey the dude.

I heap scorn on those who tell creative folks what they should or shouldn’t play music with! :cool:

Ask the worlds best volume acoustic guitar maker ...Paging Bob Taylor...

I’m not sure I agree with that assumption.

I’ve had a few Taylors, and they were nice, but there’s a lot to be said for volume acoustic makers Martin and Gibson (the only reason I’m not including PRS here is that I don’t know if they’re a volume acoustic guitar company).

I have no issue with scarf joints, though.

What’s more difficult for me to understand is why Lifeson, who’s certainly earned the right to choose his own instrument, would want to obey the dude.

I heap scorn on those who tell creative folks what they should or shouldn’t play music with! :cool:

Yeah, if I'm Alex, Geddy Lee can't even tell me what to use, and for dang sure, nobody else can.

There’s no figuring out ignorant anuses.

Yeah, if I'm Alex, Geddy Lee can't even tell me what to use, and for dang sure, nobody else can.

You bet.

I’d have told the dude to f^ck off, and I’m not even famous. You don’t like my tone? Hire a different player.

And if I’m the one hiring that producer, he’s fired.

The same guy also told Alex, "No reverb." He told Geddy to play the Fender Jazz. This is for Counterparts. The explicit goal was to "go back" to a more organic and rock sound. The band hired this guy for a specific reason to get a specific sound. Supposedly Alex and Kevin(The Caveman) went out and settled their issues over a bottle of scotch. At the time Rush was "searching" for the next iteration of the band. They went out and specifically hired a contrarian to see what the difference would be.

FWIW, there are only a few songs on Counterparts that I really like. It's Rush, so I like the whole album, but there are only a few songs that I embrace.

I was doing this from memory, so you guys made me look it up......The producer for this album was Peter Collins, but the sound engineer was Kevin Shirley and he was the guy making demands (no PRS guitars, no reverb, play the Fender Jazz bass, etc.)

Back