The Rumor Mill, an ignominious repository

The same guy also told Alex, "No reverb." He told Geddy to play the Fender Jazz. This is for Counterparts. The explicit goal was to "go back" to a more organic and rock sound. The band hired this guy for a specific reason to get a specific sound. Supposedly Alex and Kevin(The Caveman) went out and settled their issues over a bottle of scotch. At the time Rush was "searching" for the next iteration of the band. They went out and specifically hired a contrarian to see what the difference would be.

FWIW, there are only a few songs on Counterparts that I really like. It's Rush, so I like the whole album, but there are only a few songs that I embrace.

I was doing this from memory, so you guys made me look it up......The producer for this album was Peter Collins, but the sound engineer was Kevin Shirley and he was the guy making demands (no PRS guitars, no reverb, play the Fender Jazz bass, etc.)

When I’m producing an ad session, I never tell the session players what type of guitars to play, or even amps. I want their sound; if I wanted my sound, I’d play the track myself.

So did Rush ever hire this producer and engineer again (not a Rush fan, so I don’t know)?

When I’m producing an ad session, I never tell the session players what type of guitars to play, or even amps. I want their sound; if I wanted my sound, I’d play the track myself.

So did Rush ever hire this producer and engineer again (not a Rush fan, so I don’t know)?

Producer, yes, for the very next record, engineer, no, but he went on to do plenty of amazing stuff with Iron Maiden, Jimmy Page, Journey etc...

On the other hand, Alex never really returned to the PRS stuff either... the use trickled off on record, he used it a little bit live still when a piezo or a 24-fret guitar was required, but for the most part completely got (back?) in bed with Gibson since that record.

Rush was a band that was up for reinvention on a regular basis and the crews they hired were often prime movers in pushing them new places.

I heard folk saying that plain tops are better as flamed maple tops breakup the sound waves. Professor plump even went as far to say that top shelf wood library is akin to a ring modulator

Rumour no. 4 (I think!)

Nickel hardware produces better tones than chrome hardware.

(Tone metal plating!);)

PRS (The Person) has made the statement that unplated brass sounds different from plated brass hardware. That’s why they use unplated brass on certain things that touch the strings.

I have no idea, personally, but who am I to disagree? If The Man says there’s a reason he uses it - by the way, it also costs more to plate only certain portions of parts and not others - then I’m going to believe it.

Because I am a slavish follower of the products of PRS. How could it be otherwise? :)

PRS (The Person) has made the statement that unplated brass sounds different from plated brass hardware. That’s why they use unplated brass on certain things that touch the strings.

I have no idea, personally, but who am I to disagree? If The Man says there’s a reason he uses it - by the way, it also costs more to plate only certain portions of parts and not others - then I’m going to believe it.

Because I am a slavish follower of the products of PRS. How could it be otherwise? :)
Les, I don’t doubt for one minute that PRSh and the design/production team have used their time and energies wisely to construct every part of a PRS guitar to the best of their ability. From any presentation that Paul does, you can hear/see his passion.

I especially love his talks where he puts a mic on the stage and drops the nut, bridge etc on it to show the tonal capabilities of them! And the comparison of competitiors nuts (pardon the school boy snigger) that are made as he states “out of the same material as you waste pipe on your toilet”.

I have just been in receipt of a bag containing a pair of PRS nuts (snigger) and I can confirm they were chinking together, so you know that they are going to rob as little of the tone as they can. Paul’s tonal theory of putting “6” into a guitar and getting “5.7” out.

So I’m right there with you:D

"I was fourth in line at Nordstrom's,
Made me late for Ruth's Chris..."

NOW THAT is a tragedy! I would have hurt somebody if I was late for one of those slices of heaven! Dangit! Now I'm hungry! MMMMMMMM....RUUUUUTTTHHH CCCHHHRRRRRRIIIISSSS.
(drools on the floor)

NOW THAT is a tragedy! I would have hurt somebody if I was late for one of those slices of heaven! Dangit! Now I'm hungry! MMMMMMMM....RUUUUUTTTHHH CCCHHHRRRRRRIIIISSSS.
(drools on the floor)
Oh well at least there’s always crayola!!;):p

(drools on the floor)
I've heard of Ruth's Chris, so I had to look it up.
Dayum that looks good! Don't tell Sergio though.
The only locations in Iglooville are in Alberta.
Harumph!

Back