The end guitar playing?

Beyond the recorded song and cut-and-paste digital auto tune stuff, there is playing music. I seriously doubt I'll ever be recorded, I do not play in front of other people (on purpose anyway, sometimnes my wife or kids walk in). But I do play. Not well, hardly ever play a complete song, usually just random phrases that I string together. But I enjoy it, it relaxes me and helps me think. For people like me, the digital stuff will never replace a real instrument.

+1

I freely describe my ability as "a handful of chords and a heart full of good wishes"! I 'play' as a form of relaxation, purely for my own enjoyment. I would like to think I have musical tastes that cross pretty much all of the genres and I try to listen to the elements within the music. I think there might actually be more guitar in music now than ever. Even if it has been sampled and added, it had to be played by someone in the first place. I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

edit - Sorry, there are a lot of 'I's in there, it is early here and there hasn't been enough coffee yet!

Last edited:
Guitar will never die....

Yesterday I saw a 6 and 8 year old playing uptown in my city. One was playing a snare drum and the other was playing the bag pipes . Very impressed with that. If they kids are still playing traditional instruments then guitar will always be around.

Shawn, if you are having trouble talking to women then just say " I work at Prs. Want to see my prs?" Lol

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;71410 said:
My Daughter will be a guitar player. She will inherit a pretty nice pile of guitars too.

I think it's fair to say there will be lots of kids like her to keep the flame burning.
+1

I used to worry...
But then I hear my son play guitar or bass
or my Daughter sing ( a couple of local bands pull her up to do a Zep or AC/DC song with them about anytime they see her out.)
or my youngest Daughter play Piano or drums...her hands are still a little small for guitar still, but she has TWO. ;-)

It will be okay, but it's up to us to pass it on. ;)

Shawn, if you are having trouble talking to women then just say " I work at Prs. Want to see my prs?" Lol

I asked a woman if she wanted to see my PRS once. It was noisy party and she heard "P----ss". My face stung for quite a while.

As long there are skinny dudes with acne that don't know how to talk to women.... the guitar isn't going anywhere.

I'm not that skinny anymore and my acne has cleared up, but I still don't know how to talk to women

Yep, me too. Stopped talkin (failin) and started playin. And now, me and that first guitar have been together for 28 years.
And I'm still not talkin much...

My wife and attended the Tulip festival in Huntington, NY yesterday. I was impressed at the number of young kids playing guitar solo and in bands at the festival. I can see in the them the same enthusiasm as I had 40+ years ago. It kind of restored my hope in music. Also, while not guitar oriented, if you think about shows like The Voice you see that there is really a lot of young musical talent out there still rockin' or R&B'ing or Countrified. It's all good.

Also, although it's easier to create music using DAW's, etc., you still need creativity and some musical talent to produce interesting music.

cartoon_harp_n_accordion.jpg

Having been to the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix and seeing all the different instruments from around the world, many made from found objects, there were really only three basic types of instrument common across all cultures, all nations, everywhere 1) Something you blow into, like a flute. 2) Something you beat on with hands or a stick. 3) Something with strings over a hollow resonant chamber, like a guitar. Guitar will never die, it's far too prevalent an instrument type. We could have worldwide apocalypse and whoever remains will still be able to make a basic guitar out of naturally made objects. Try that with an accordion or a piano.

Back