Tell me everything about DGT!

The DGT is a guitar that IMO most effectively reached out and convinced a lot of non-PRS fans of the virtues of that model, and opened the door to broader acceptance of the brand overall. It also energized the existing fan base like few others, all of which is a testament to its uniqueness, impact, and appeal.

Well I think the width is the same as the regular neck, so it should not be a problem in case...

I had not thought about the 2 volume knobs and the center position. nice spot.
Is not the McCarty that has a thicker body?

Thaks Sir, i will never do it without. :D

Thanks.

mmm strange feeling... seems like you are pushing me to buy one...

The DGT nut width is indeed about 1 mm narrower.

83353571_3208246969191870_781874306880034714_n.jpg

They're really great guitars! Everyone should one at least one...or two.

Hey Mike, you are well documented as a DGT fanatic. Why not have a Standard as an alternative? Why do you have two? Different tunings? I’m not knocking you, I’m guilty of the same with other guitars in the past.

I have a DGT Standard. The stock 11s feel good on it but for me I felt like I was fighting it. I had it for sale last month on TGP, but after I put 9s on it, it is a keeper for sure.

Hey Mike, you are well documented as a DGT fanatic. Why not have a Standard as an alternative? Why do you have two? Different tunings? I’m not knocking you, I’m guilty of the same with other guitars in the past.

I’ve owned several DGTs over the past 12 years. The goldtop is my original. I had a Standard in blue for a few years and ended up selling it in a moment of weakness. I had a one piece topped burst (I think Hans bought it) and another burst that I gave my father in a trade for something.

The green one is a custom order and bought with inheritance money when I lost my grandmother and mother within a month of each other. I have it for the color and the love of the DGT itself.

The features on the DGT make it the perfect guitar for me - McCarty thickness, tremolo, dual volumes, neck shape, fret wire, and tone.

They’re not tuned differently, I just switch between the two...of course, still being kind of newish, the green one is in mint condition!

I've been wondering about DGT's myself and found this thread in a search. I did have a chance to play one about 6 months ago, but I didn't spend very much time with it. I remember thinking the pups were EXTREMELY hot, but sounded really good (through a princeton). I love the control layout, it's my favourite of any PRS model I think. I just have no recollection at all of how the neck felt. Any comparisons here? How does it compare to the pattern vintage and pattern regular?

Slightly slimmer neck, a hint of baritone leaning tones due to the larger strings (academic of course), pickups custom spec’d by DGh focussing much on usable splits and his ideal tone, unique controls, tall frets. The rest is pretty much standard PRS Mccarty doublecut.

More importantly, what’s there to don’t buy? :D
CNdDG8Z.jpg

I've been wondering about DGT's myself and found this thread in a search. I did have a chance to play one about 6 months ago, but I didn't spend very much time with it. I remember thinking the pups were EXTREMELY hot, but sounded really good (through a princeton). I love the control layout, it's my favourite of any PRS model I think. I just have no recollection at all of how the neck felt. Any comparisons here? How does it compare to the pattern vintage and pattern regular?

The neck is narrower and thinner than the patterned vintage. I don't have mine in my hands, but I find the neck shape to be the most comfortable of all the guitars I've played. It's not too thick, not to thin, and has a nice contour. The pattern vintage has the asymmetrical carve which is its own thing going on. I would say the DGT is closer in size to the pattern regular. I do wish there was a DGT neck carve on a 594 scale length. That would likely become my favorite neck of all time.

Last edited:
The rolled shoulders on an unbound neck are very comfortable. Add to that the big frets and you get totally grabbable neck that punishes you with intonation issues if you grab too hard. It teaches you restraint. And as a heavy handed guitarist that adores his DGT, those lessons come hard, but with massive returns! It’s a desert island guitar, IMO.

Back