Tell me everything about DGT!

Gigi

Hello people, the search function don't work for 3 letters word so I have to start a thread for this...

Tell me everything about the DGT model... tone, feeling, neck, how it changed over the years.

Tell me why I should DON'T buy one, if I'm looking for a 22 fret, vintage sounding guitar...

Thanks.

All IMHO, of course...Vintage vibe, yes. Also, P/P coil tap, with great Single coil sounds.
Great necks...kinda big, but according to some on here, the outer "E" strings are closer to the edge than normal...
I've never noticed that, but really love the neck, and playing with the stock strings (011's) feels great on there.
There's some years with neck binding, some without...Not a deal killer, but the binding looks great to me.

First, search for dgt* - that will get you the DGT search results.

As for the guitar, great tones. The neck carve is the best I've ever had - but that's a personal preference, so that may not work as well for you. The whole package, IMO, is greater than the sum of the parts. As Bill said, it comes w/11s, but they don't feel that heavy.

thanks everybody.
about the neck, i knew it's similar to the stadard neck, which i like, and also it's one of few models that has jumbo frets, so i would be curious to try one.
unfortunately they are not very common here.

about the tone can it be similar, in some spots, to some telecaster tone?

@Bill SAS 513: P/P coil tap stand for?

First, search for dgt* - that will get you the DGT search results.
didn't know that. i'll note that.

I know next to nothing about DGTs, so I’ll leave you in the more than capable hands of the forum members for that.

alantig’s search suggestion is a good tip. Another way is to enter something like this in google.com: DGT site:forums.prsguitars.com

Happy hunting!

Gigi, I don’t think you’re heading down the right road if you want a guitar that sounds “like” an F or a G. To my ears, PRS always sounds like PRS. The 594 sounds better than your average LP, and the SS sounds better than your average Stratoid. Most PRS have single coil splits these days to get a single coil sound. But they’re not intended to give you the same sound. The woods are different and more properly dried, the scale length is different, and the fretwork is impeccable. I suppose you could say vela, but that’s not the point. Nothing sounds like a PRS. That’s why I buy them.

No, i'm not hunting for a prs that sounds like something else.
I already own a strato for single coil sounds, a prs standard with hfs/vb that's basically the opposite, and a swamp ash with narrowfield that is something in between.
So i don't need gibsons (had already and sold), and if i want a tele i buy a tele.
I was considering the prs lineup past and present (i like the scale, the neck, the overall quality) to have a more "vintage" sound to complete what i already have, and a dgt for what i see and hear is something that maybe can do the work. but i didn't play one ever so, i am just collecting info.
Another prs that i came to like is the Starla se, that also has the fixed bridge, something that i don't have in my lineup actually.
And yes, also the Vela and the Mira are two models that always intrigued me...

I really love my DGT. The neck shape is it’s own, and I really find it comfortable. I am also a fan of the bigger frets. I’d agree that 11s don’t feel that big on this model. Saying that, I did string mine with 9s. The other thing to keep in mind is the string spacing/neck width. It’s 1/32 narrower than other PRS necks. Some people don’t like that.

No, i'm not hunting for a prs that sounds like something else.
I already own a strato for single coil sounds, a prs standard with hfs/vb that's basically the opposite, and a swamp ash with narrowfield that is something in between.
So i don't need gibsons (had already and sold), and if i want a tele i buy a tele.
I was considering the prs lineup past and present (i like the scale, the neck, the overall quality) to have a more "vintage" sound to complete what i already have, and a dgt for what i see and hear is something that maybe can do the work. but i didn't play one ever so, i am just collecting info.
Another prs that i came to like is the Starla se, that also has the fixed bridge, something that i don't have in my lineup actually.
And yes, also the Vela and the Mira are two models that always intrigued me...
Given this broader background, I think the DGT could be a nice fit for you.
I think it’s a great guitar. I particularly like the dual volumes and the left hand feel.

I owed a 2011 Goldtop DGT for a year, my first core. I was blown away at the overall build, a trem that does NOT go out of tune ??? Holy balls on that alone.
I liked the guitar, but the pickups were hot, I usually ran the volume pot at 8 so as not to turn my Mesa Express into a muddy mess.
The neck profile was comfortable immediately and the jumbo frets felt fine (I strung mine with .010s).
The additional volume pot was nice.

Ultimately I sold the DGT to get a McCarty. Strictly because I realized I was a non-trem player and liked the wide-fat neck and 57/08 pups better.

The DGT is a tone monster. The pickups cover an incredible amount of ground with the distortion airing on the edgier side, while also cleaning up amongst the best of any pickups with the volume knob. They also tap extremely well the way they're set up. The stock .011s mated to the trem bridge are a really nice combincation. I don't notice it at all, but I also love .011 strings. I personally am a neck binding slut, so bring the binding! THE ONLY problem I have with the stock DGT is the narrower nut width, so my DGT is a Private Stock with a Wide Fat carve and standard nut width. And it's badass. If you like slightly slimmer nut-width on a neck, the stock DGT will surprise you! BUY ONE NOW.

DGT is just a really nice guitar - It is a nice change of pace to have the 2 volume knobs as it makes the center position more versatile.
Coil taps sound really good.
Neck carve starts like a standard ends like a wide fat.
Thicker body than a CU22 and of course the bigger frets , I don't really notice the difference in frets that much but mine does play really nice.
I have heard some folks call the pickups "wooly" and mine came with Mira pickups in it , I now have DGT pickups and it is darker and a bit lower output than before but I am liking it so far.

IMG_3106 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

I know it’s probably not the sound you’re looking for, but I love how a guitar that was designed for DG can be used by Rob Harris, so effectively -

83353571_3208246969191870_781874306880034714_n.jpg

They're really great guitars! Everyone should one at least one...or two.

I really love my DGT. The neck shape is it’s own, and I really find it comfortable. I am also a fan of the bigger frets. I’d agree that 11s don’t feel that big on this model. Saying that, I did string mine with 9s. The other thing to keep in mind is the string spacing/neck width. It’s 1/32 narrower than other PRS necks. Some people don’t like that.

The DGT is a tone monster. The pickups cover an incredible amount of ground with the distortion airing on the edgier side, while also cleaning up amongst the best of any pickups with the volume knob. They also tap extremely well the way they're set up. The stock .011s mated to the trem bridge are a really nice combincation. I don't notice it at all, but I also love .011 strings. I personally am a neck binding slut, so bring the binding! THE ONLY problem I have with the stock DGT is the narrower nut width, so my DGT is a Private Stock with a Wide Fat carve and standard nut width. And it's badass. If you like slightly slimmer nut-width on a neck, the stock DGT will surprise you! BUY ONE NOW.

Well I think the width is the same as the regular neck, so it should not be a problem in case...

DGT is just a really nice guitar - It is a nice change of pace to have the 2 volume knobs as it makes the center position more versatile.
Coil taps sound really good.
Neck carve starts like a standard ends like a wide fat.
Thicker body than a CU22 and of course the bigger frets , I don't really notice the difference in frets that much but mine does play really nice.
I have heard some folks call the pickups "wooly" and mine came with Mira pickups in it , I now have DGT pickups and it is darker and a bit lower output than before but I am liking it so far.

I had not thought about the 2 volume knobs and the center position. nice spot.
Is not the McCarty that has a thicker body?

I got nuthin’ ... go ahead and buy it, I give you permission.

Thaks Sir, i will never do it without. :D

Thanks.

mmm strange feeling... seems like you are pushing me to buy one...

Well I think the width is the same as the regular neck, so it should not be a problem in case...

I had not thought about the 2 volume knobs and the center position. nice spot.
Is not the McCarty that has a thicker body?

Thaks Sir, i will never do it without. :D

Thanks.

mmm strange feeling... seems like you are pushing me to buy one...
Ummm...buy it!

Back