New PRS Guy Show & Tell: SE DGT & SE 594...and now SE Silver Sky!

It shall not happen again! Newbie mistake!

I probably disagree...but I get it!
Too funny! I personally don't think the se gig bag is bad. The s2/bolt on is nicer and the core is a tank of a case. It's one of the benefits of going up the lines. I'd rather see resources go to the quality of the guitar. I typically only use one gig bag or a hard case for transport anyhow, depending on travel type. With multiple guitars I'd rather pick my own bag and use that, rather a separate purchase or the best out of the ones I have. Another, hot debate, I keep all my guitars on wall hangers and it's an issue storing my cases or getting to them.

Too funny! I personally don't think the se gig bag is bad. The s2/bolt on is nicer and the core is a tank of a case. It's one of the benefits of going up the lines. I'd rather see resources go to the quality of the guitar. I typically only use one gig bag or a hard case for transport anyhow, depending on travel type. With multiple guitars I'd rather pick my own bag and use that, rather a separate purchase or the best out of the ones I have. Another, hot debate, I keep all my guitars on wall hangers and it's an issue storing my cases or getting to them.
I just prefer the cases for the load and unload process. I have had times where things have shifted after loading and the cases did their jobs very well. I would rather deal with the weight and size for the protection. I have 3 wall hangers as well as a double stand in my music room. The rest of the guitars and empty cases are in a closet that I setup for storing them. I put shelves in the closet to store them as efficiently as possible.

How about a Taylor 612C off of a very high stage during set changes? I didn't like that at all...and neither did the neck & headstock
Every guitar I have had damaged happened because it was out of the case when it shouldn't have been or someone else in the band was pulling cables across the stage and through things instead of properly getting them out and coiling them up. I am the guy that typically provides the PA to the band as well and it just kills me how some people treat cables. They can get expensive. I am also decent with a soldering iron and have fixed cables for people that have mistreated them. Of course they get a lecture when they get the working cable back.

I just prefer the cases for the load and unload process. I have had times where things have shifted after loading and the cases did their jobs very well. I would rather deal with the weight and size for the protection.
Oh I get it. Case protection can't be beat. Depending on the situation I'll take a gig bag for convenience, but if worried at all, case all the way.

Drop your guitar from 3 ft. in the hard case then do the same in the gig bag. Tell me which one you like better after that.
In general, I completely agree. My favorite gig-bag is the Reunion Blues Continental.

However, when looking for an affordable gig-bag to house my CE24, I came across one of the FEW cases that I think could do as well-- if not better than the best gig-bag:

T3odI3a.jpg

b7B0qgR.jpg

This is the Gator Titan designed specifically for PRS guitars. It's very similar to one offered by SKB. Normally these go for around $300, but I found this one on Reverb for $150 new (there was a small blemish on one outer corner.) For $150 this was a no-brainer. Only downsides here are size and weight.

Drop this from 3 feet... or allow the baggage handlers at O'Hare to have their way with it, and I believe this case will fully protect the guitar ;)

Morale of the story, keep an eye out for a really good gig-bag, or case such as this and fortune will eventually shine on you :D

...and he's back! :)

So...I put 9.5s on the SE DGT, the G wasn't getting hung up as much I don't think but it was a little thin sounding although I'm not scared of light strings. I stuck some 10's on and left the 16 G on, seems to be okay. I'll get it sorted out.
I really, really like the neck pickup on the 594, I think more so than the neck on the DGT...I think!

Can we talk, the gig bag...okay I mean that's a pretty lame gig bag but I don't' care, guitar is cool. Still that bag is pretty lo fi. YMMV of course!

Okay then!
Congrats on the new guitars!

Strings: Just last week I went from 10s on my DGT (core) to 8s. Had to make a few adjustments to the guitar, but they play & feel great! Sound wise, there is a drop in the bass frequency which I adjusted for on my amp: from noon, backed off the mids & treble and a slight bump in the bass and all is good ;)

Case: Yep-- would have liked to see an actual protective gig-bag, but that's easily fixed through classifieds, or online suppliers (reff my earlier post above.)

I'd never dissuade someone from getting a core version of the DGT (love mine!), but since you already have the SE perhaps just play the two you have for another 6-months or so, then decide if there's something else in the PRS catalog that tickles your fancy. There's not a lot of distance between the SE and the Core version. Just maybe there's another out there that you'd like just as much (i.e. 509, Paul's guitar, Studio, Santana...)

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
In general, I completely agree. My favorite gig-bag is the Reunion Blues Continental.

However, when looking for an affordable gig-bag to house my CE24, I came across one of the FEW cases that I think could do as well-- if not better than the best gig-bag:

T3odI3a.jpg

b7B0qgR.jpg

This is the Gator Titan designed specifically for PRS guitars. It's very similar to one offered by SKB. Normally these go for around $300, but I found this one on Reverb for $150 new (there was a small blemish on one outer corner.) For $150 this was a no-brainer. Only downsides here are size and weight.

Drop this from 3 feet... or allow the baggage handlers at O'Hare to have their way with it, and I believe this case will fully protect the guitar ;)

Morale of the story, keep an eye out for a really good gig-bag, or case such as this and fortune will eventually shine on you :D
I have two of those Gator Titan's and I love them! Nearly bullet proof!! And water resistant!!! Great price you got on yours, I paid near retail price ;~((

Too funny! I personally don't think the se gig bag is bad. The s2/bolt on is nicer and the core is a tank of a case. It's one of the benefits of going up the lines. I'd rather see resources go to the quality of the guitar. I typically only use one gig bag or a hard case for transport anyhow, depending on travel type. With multiple guitars I'd rather pick my own bag and use that, rather a separate purchase or the best out of the ones I have. Another, hot debate, I keep all my guitars on wall hangers and it's an issue storing my cases or getting to them
Hey now...great group here, wasn't looking to start anything. Of course I'd rather them spend the money on the instrument then case candy or any of that. I'm just saying the SEs are so great, I myself wasn't too impressed with their gig bag. That's all. I like gig bags, they're easy but of course a case offers more protection, not debating that just thought the gig bag is cheesier than a Road Worn bag. It was sorta meant to be a tongue in cheek comment. Don't hate! Hahaha
I just prefer the cases for the load and unload process. I have had times where things have shifted after loading and the cases did their jobs very well. I would rather deal with the weight and size for the protection. I have 3 wall hangers as well as a double stand in my music room. The rest of the guitars and empty cases are in a closet that I setup for storing them. I put shelves in the closet to store them as efficiently as possible.

Every guitar I have had damaged happened because it was out of the case when it shouldn't have been or someone else in the band was pulling cables across the stage and through things instead of properly getting them out and coiling them up. I am the guy that typically provides the PA to the band as well and it just kills me how some people treat cables. They can get expensive. I am also decent with a soldering iron and have fixed cables for people that have mistreated them. Of course they get a lecture when they get the working cable back.

Yeah, I've cracked two LP Custom headstocks from them not being put up and run over by an errant road case on wheels or such...and that ain't bragging - and the Taylor falling off the stage, which was in gig bag.
Welcome to the PRS pool, water's fine!
:) Thanks, having fun!
Oh I get it. Case protection can't be beat. Depending on the situation I'll take a gig bag for convenience, but if worried at all, case all the way.
Yeah, putting it over your shoulder and trying to be stealth guy getting on a plane is always an anxious moment.

Yeah, those look very nice.
Congrats on the new guitars!

Strings: Just last week I went from 10s on my DGT (core) to 8s. Had to make a few adjustments to the guitar, but they play & feel great! Sound wise, there is a drop in the bass frequency which I adjusted for on my amp: from noon, backed off the mids & treble and a slight bump in the bass and all is good ;)

Case: Yep-- would have liked to see an actual protective gig-bag, but that's easily fixed through classifieds, or online suppliers (reff my earlier post above.)

I'd never dissuade someone from getting a core version of the DGT (love mine!), but since you already have the SE perhaps just play the two you have for another 6-months or so, then decide if there's something else in the PRS catalog that tickles your fancy. There's not a lot of distance between the SE and the Core version. Just maybe there's another out there that you'd like just as much (i.e. 509, Paul's guitar, Studio, Santana...)
8s! Been a long time since I tried those. I'm casually staring at some core DGTs online but probably won't happen any time soon. I do have a SE Silver Sky incoming though, gotta get it all out of my system and see what it's about. Thanks for checking in y'all!
Welcome to the forum!
I have two of those Gator Titan's and I love them! Nearly bullet proof!! And water resistant!!! Great price you got on yours, I paid near retail price ;~((
Hey thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
Yeah, putting it over your shoulder and trying to be stealth guy getting on a plane is always an anxious moment.
Funny, that was my thinking typing the message. I prefer flying with a gig bag, but always scared they'll ask me to check it. Never happened with a gig bag, but they have when I've traveled with a case. I'm pretty sure if they asked me to check with a gig bag I'd take a later flight or rent a car!

New guy show & tell...know some of you from TGP I'm sure.

Confessions, I've never been a PRS guy. I dunno, maybe it's the birds. I'm not sure why. I bought into some of the stereotypes about the guitars & sound associated with them whatever those may be. I may even still believe some of those but like anything else though you have to take each guitar separately, right? I bought a SE Singlecut sumthin'sumthin years ago, played okay but it didn't sound that good, kind of lackluster.

Fast forward...just bought a SE DGT. Dang, really nice guitar...love the frets. It plays fantastic. These frets should come on SGs. I wanted the Gold Top with Moons but they didn't have one, so the veneer Tobacco Burst top with Birds it is. I still really don't love the Birds but they're okay. :) There's a few little tuning issues but getting it dialed in. The G hangs up a bit but I'll get the nut sorted out. I mean Phil McKnight's video, he's jacking the sh*t out of that Trem and it's coming back pretty dead on. I hate PRS so much, I just bought a Vintageburst SE 594 a few days after the DGT, just to see what that's about and danggit if it ain't nice. Really plays in tune, that's goes a long way. I like the feel of the tuners on the 594 more. The bridge is odd but that's only from only really seeing Gibson Tune-o-matics I guess. The frets don't feel that different, they got it down. The neck's fuller for sure but I like it and the pickups sound good not as hot...all stuff you guys know.

I'm tempted to find a Core DGT.

Anyway some geeky stuff if anybody pays attention to that stuff. I can't find my freaking scale, the DGT is right at 8lbs with me holding it on a digital scale
and the 594 feels less for sure. I like it.

DGT:

Bridge 8.82/5.90
Neck 7.49/4.63
Both 4.05/2.60

594:

Bridge 7.75/5.28
Neck 6.96/4.27
Both 3.67/2.35

Anyway...that's my story.

Congrats on the new guitars! I got the same DTG SE as you. I ended up also buying the core model a few months later. They’re both amazing guitars. At first it took me a while to get used to the larger frets on the DGTs but now I prefer them. I played a 594 SE last weekend at a local guitar shop and really liked it.

Funny, that was my thinking typing the message. I prefer flying with a gig bag, but always scared they'll ask me to check it. Never happened with a gig bag, but they have when I've traveled with a case. I'm pretty sure if they asked me to check with a gig bag I'd take a later flight or rent a car!
Yup yup, did get caught once though, Tyler in a gig bag that they wouldn't let me bring on. Tiny plane though & I think they were careful putting it underneath. Well, it survived anyway. Let's not do that again!
All gig bags all the time, unless a van is involved.
Yeah they're easy but I certainly get people's attraction to cases...especially with non bolt on neck guitars.
Congrats on the new guitars! I got the same DTG SE as you. I ended up also buying the core model a few months later. They’re both amazing guitars. At first it took me a while to get used to the larger frets on the DGTs but now I prefer them. I played a 594 SE last weekend at a local guitar shop and really liked it.
Thanks, I love these frets. The 594 SE is really nice, plays so in tune & resonant but I don't know know if they're all staying! :) I gotta go find a Core DGT to try.

Yup yup, did get caught once though, Tyler in a gig bag that they wouldn't let me bring on. Tiny plane though & I think they were careful putting it underneath. Well, it survived anyway. Let's not do that again!
According to rule

49 U.S. Code § 41724 - Musical instruments​

Their supposed to allow it in the cabin, but there's a clause used "established by the administrator" about storing in cargo.

I get it on a small plane and have had to put it in a front closet before. I try to be the first to board to help avoid the cargo.

According to rule

49 U.S. Code § 41724 - Musical instruments​

Their supposed to allow it in the cabin, but there's a clause used "established by the administrator" about storing in cargo.

I get it on a small plane and have had to put it in a front closet before. I try to be the first to board to help avoid the cargo.
All good when it works!

Congrets!! You’ve chosen the two best models, if I may! Ever since the 594, opinions containing the word that S word (sterile) no longer hold water in my opinion.

I mean, just play it acoustically and you can obviously hear the fantastic inherent tone of the 594. The guitar lends to the strings a quality that the strings themselves could never have on their own, and that to me is what a guitar is all about, electric or no. It’s all about how the strings vibrate, isn’t it?

Great scores!

Alright...here we go, I'll probably catch some grief for it but what the hell.

Just some random stream of conciousness BS.
When I first saw these I was like, really? No way but after getting the DGT & 594 and seeing how well these played and looked, how nice the fretwork was okay I'm a Strat guy lets see, I can get used to the headstock. Snakehead! JK. So..

Rosewood maple rosewood maple, I mean who doesn't love early 60s Strats...yet I went Maple.
If you love tons of finish, nitro/poly whatever on your necks, this ain't for you. I've had Thin Skins &
an EJ, even Nitro they lather that stuff on...says I. Custom Shop, that's different depending on what you get. There's hardly any finish on this neck, it feels almost raw. It's nice...if you like that.

The action totally sucked, I went down to 9.5s, pulled one spring, floated the Trem, lowered some saddles & tweaked the rod a little bit. It plays good. Intonation was good out of the box even before I did anything.
It's loud unplugged, really resonant. The neck shape feels a little like the 594. It's full. The radius, I mean it's okay, it's flat enough if you like that. The Trem feels pretty good, stays in tune for sure. There's plenty of room on the saddle screws to go either direction. Thes pickups are hot, right? They sound good though. I might need to lower them some. It's a good thing it's not routed for a Humbucker in the bridge, I'd probably have already put one in there just to see. hahah

The fretwork! Okay...here goes. Sucks. They feel okay, not as tall as the DGT or 594 or at least they don't feel that way, plenty there though. The fret ends, big suck. First, I get it that this is an easy fix.
There's two schools here, one you expect it from an import, like a million Mexican Fenders The SE DGT & 594 frets are beautiful, that's one reason I went for the Silver Sky. I'm thinking, they got it together. These ends totally suck. I'm from the side that that bums me out to get a guitar like that. It's terrible.

That said, the guitar sounds good, plays in tune, it's lightweight. I may just deal with it, still brings me down when you buy a new guitar and it feels like that. Again, I know it's an easy fix, I'm just not a fan of receiving a new guitar and feeling as terrible as this one did.

Wait for it...YMMV. If you made it this far, thanks for putting up with me!

Back