New PRS Guy Show & Tell: SE DGT & SE 594...and now SE Silver Sky!

Later that day…so I returned the DGT. I liked it okay, there was just something about it that I thought there might be another one out there that I’d bond with more. I can’t put my finger on it. I do want to try a DGT Core though. According to my calculations, I should love the DGT model but it just didn’t happen with this one. I was thinking of returning the 594, I hadn’t played it in about a week, went down to my basement, took it out of the bag, it’s still about perfectly in tune, rings beautifully. I mean there’s no way you could find a better guitar for this amount of money, subjective as that is. Forget the money, It’s ridiculous how nice it is. So I’m keeping 2 out of 3, the SE 594 and SE SS, not bad.

That is all.
Glad that you found 2 that worked for you! I really like the recordings you made with the silver sky!

Drop your guitar from 3 ft. in the hard case then do the same in the gig bag. Tell me which one you like better after that.
I’ve been playing over 50 years and it’s never happened. My hard cases are stacked up in the guest room. Can you do a load in in one trip with a hard case? I can’t.

The bridge is odd but that's only from only really seeing Gibson Tune-o-matics I guess.
This I must say I agree.

The fixed bridge at the extreme end and the strings coming off it at the high angle, should act as the rest for the heel of your palm. That’s the most comfortable.

But in the 594 the distance between the two bridges is too long, so if you try that comfortable position, your pick and fingers end up too short. You end up picking on the bridge pickup. IMO it would be better if they shortened the distance between the two bridges.

But it’s a small issue. You do get used to it after a while.

I’ve been playing over 50 years and it’s never happened. My hard cases are stacked up in the guest room. Can you do a load in in one trip with a hard case? I can’t.
I am almost always the guy bringing the PA as well as my rig so a one trip load in is almost never going to happen. If I were just bringing my guitar rig, I could do it. I use a Rock-N-Roller cart and could easily get my amp, pedalboard, two guitars in their cases and my mic stand on it.

I am almost always the guy bringing the PA as well as my rig so a one trip load in is almost never going to happen. If I were just bringing my guitar rig, I could do it. I use a Rock-N-Roller cart and could easily get my amp, pedalboard, two guitars in their cases and my mic stand on it.

I’ll have to have a look at one of those, because I’m the PA guy too, as well as guitars and trumpet, son’s alto, pedalboard, leads etc.

I’ll have to have a look at one of those, because I’m the PA guy too, as well as guitars and trumpet, son’s alto, pedalboard, leads etc.
They have a number of models. Some models have larger wheels and some smaller. I like that I can use it in different configurations and I can keep it in it's shorter configuration to pack it in and if I need more space on it I can extend the length of it easily. They are very popular with musicians in my area. I have had mine for many years. I saw one of my friends with one that I think was made by On Stage. I think that one was a little cheaper than mine.

594:

Bridge 7.75/5.28
Neck 6.96/4.27
Both 3.67/2.35
Thanks for posting this. I wondered how my measurements compared to other 594s, and now I know. I absolutely love how my 594 sounds. Every once in a while I hear an LP that has a bridge pickup with a real balanced sound without the thin midrange honk that I usually hear. I've been experimenting with hotter bridge pickups to try and tame the brightness with mixed results, then BAM! There it was on my 594. It's the bridge tone I've been chasing. Much to my shock, it measured way differently than I expected. Here are my installed measurements:

N 6.97k, 4.10h
B 6.96k, 4.37h

My bridge measures very low, almost identical to the neck, but with a little more inductance. I need to experiment with low wind bridge humbuckers now and see what I get.

Back