Still don't know why the Studio and the NFs had to go

They were incorporated as a middle pickup a little over a year ago in the 20th Anniversary of Private Stock model; two Paul’s Guitar 408s, with the Narrowfield.

I have one, and “awesome” definitely describes the guitar. So PRS hasn’t given up on them.

The NF middle pickup is without doubt my favorite middle pickup in my many, many years of playing, and having owned a lot of guitars. I’d love to see PRS come out with a Core version, so more people could have access to one.

The middle pickup is definitely an awesome tone!

One area that has been problematic is tuning. It has 4 springs and looks to be set up correctly. The locking tuning pegs are not like anything I have ever had on a guitar and I could be doing something wrong there.

Yeah, something's going wrong there. You should be able to bend all over the place and not have problems. The nut on that guitar should be cut for 10s. If you're not used to the tuners: as you string up, you'll first want to turn the tuning key so you can stick the string straight through the nut to the end of the headstock. Then gently pull the string taut and tighten down the tuner's locking screw firmly with a nickel or penny. You should have a full wrap or less on the tuner once it's tuned up to pitch.

I spy a 2012 SAS NF Studio on the bay right now. The maple neck is SICK...

Someone please buy it so that it can stop torturing me.

I think the NF pickups are really awesome so far. The bridge is good but could have a little more low end. My goal was to have something different sounding then the McCarty and it has delivered perfectly in that respect. One area that has been problematic is tuning. It has 4 springs and looks to be set up correctly. The locking tuning pegs are not like anything I have ever had on a guitar and I could be doing something wrong there. After a bend or two the guitar gets way out of tune. Hopefully a good look over and setup will solve things. I am thinking of going down to 09s which is what I have on all my other electrics. Kind of want to stick with the 10's though.

If you're talking about the tuners on the Studio, pull the string through, thumb tighten the screw, then give it another quarter turn with a quarter, or nickel. Snip the sting, tune. Should be no wraps on that tuner peg. Definite issues if there are.

Yeah, something's going wrong there. You should be able to bend all over the place and not have problems. The nut on that guitar should be cut for 10s. If you're not used to the tuners: as you string up, you'll first want to turn the tuning key so you can stick the string straight through the nut to the end of the headstock. Then gently pull the string taut and tighten down the tuner's locking screw firmly with a nickel or penny. You should have a full wrap or less on the tuner once it's tuned up to pitch.

Oops. Looks like you beat me to it on page 2! Great minds, and all! :rolleyes:

I spent a good bit of time with my narrowfields yesterday, and might again today. Position 4 & 5 are a long way from the typical PRS sound.
CK_193SpaltBodyDarkAAA.JPG

For the millionth time, you'll pry my NF3 out of my cold dead hands, and NOT before! (Unless you trade me one with the pretty birdies on the fingerboard. ;))

Guitar players are a curious bunch, the NF's may have not sold well because they didn't look like anything else. Lots of people hold true to a big nickel covered box or a thin white box with magnets sticking out.. anything else is suspect to some...

I gig a 2011 Studio exclusively, and I gig a lot.
Does everything that I need as a cover band guitarist, with the benefit of only having to carry one guitar.
When the NF's came out, I think that PRS believed they would be the "next big thing" in pickups.
Didn't work out that way, but I don't believe their expectations were wrong.
Fabulous pickups and combined with the 57/08, pretty much can't beat it.

I brought mine when I seen all the tonal changes I need. I feel the reason they pulled them was they were costly to make. All money making guitars have a greatly known guitarist plays it. They feel they will get the same tone if they
If they play thier artist signature. I love the tones I can get with the NF PU's.

I've still got mine too. It is very versatile. The only thing I don't like about it is that my pick drags the middle pickup all the time. Not a fan of the natural finish either but it sounds great!
PRS_SwampAshStudio_1698.jpg

If you’re not a fan of the natural finish, I could look after it for you, for a while! Just saying ;)

Back