Still don't know why the Studio and the NFs had to go

blaren

...well clearly it was due to low sales. Or maybe not so clearly? Maybe they were expensive to make (the Studio model)? Maybe just not cost effective to manufacture another bobbin and everything?
I played my Studio yesterday in about 300degree direct sweat-drenched sunshine.

WARNING: This is all just a bunch of sickening love for a certain guitar model. It's not even really worth reading. The moral of it all is..if you ever see a PRS Studio from the 2000teens, TEST it out.!!!

I've been loving a wee MESA 5:25 Express lately because it's so light and little and versatile and tuneful. I wont be bringing it to any more local outdoor stages though. It was not thoroughly enjoying the Studio's neck NF pickup all that much. Those NF pickups can really make some bottom end. BOOM.

Don't want to change the volume pot or change it's resistance. I could run an EQ pedal or cut some bottom with my clean boost pedal (Dingotone HZD. If you ever see one snatch it up) but that's a PITA. I don't want to have to do even more tapdancing.
God I'm dumb. Overthinking as usual. It isn't rocket appliances. It's just a magnet and some steel wires in it's field. Just lower the pickup a bit.
I remember experimenting with height when I first got this guitar and was trying to make the covered 57/08 keep up to the output of the 57/08NFs. That ended in a pickup swap.

Lowering the NFs reduces their output a bit and does yank some bottom out of their voices but adjustable/threaded pole pieces would serve better to "thin" them out a bit.
Regardless, sucking them down a bit made the tiny mesa quite a bit happier at higher volumes.

After ALL that, I walked-away with an invigorated love for the Studio. Not that I didn't always love it but I just get reminded like this once in a while.
About 2 months ago my drummer (who is a guitar player) got on it at a jam. He is a PRS anti-fanboy. He plays a Wolfgang and loves EVH. He REALLY doesn't like the WF carves.
The rehearsal after that jam Dean was..."hey what guitar was that? cause MAN that thing was AWESOME! It couldn't be the one with the neck I don't like. It's tone was amazing and it was in tune EVERYWHERE on the neck and that is something that really lights my fire...."
I replied with a nonchalant "Hmmm. Not sure. All the PRSs intonate beautifully though. That's just another difference in them over a Paul or Fender.." ...oh, he also has and likes a Strat and Paul both that I sold him.

At a jam 2 weeks before that I get off the stage (floor) and I get accosted by 3 or 4 guitar players saying GEEZUS that PRS sounds amazing. It's an American one right?
Depends which you mean cause I was playing an American and a Korean one. BOTH but especially the blue one and it's SO beautiful (the Studio).
That had been happening at the last several small-venued shows and each time I also replied saying that no, these are the same guitars I always play. The difference is that little Mesa amp I got in a trade recently. That thing is RIDICULOUS.
Funny thing is though, even with the 5:25, the accostations(?) only happened when I played the Studio. At the jams that I was NOT hosting and brought a CU or Tremonti SE Custom or McCarty or '94 CE24...my point is that with all of my other PRSs whether old, new, American or Korean, the "OMG that thing sounds AMAZING!!!"s are fewer.

I think that had PRS stuck with the NF loaded guitars and the Studio in particular (its the only NF guitar I've played) long enough to get a few out there and/or had they put some into some big-name hands..
Idk man. It's just really strange that a guitar...no, a PRS that is SO versatile and heavenly sounding, was discontinued SO fast. What was it? 2 years of production?
People will scream blasphemy but I played strats ALL my life. So for literally over 40 years. I have gigged strats for 49 years!!! I know how I sound with one. Heck I know how I sound with about a hundred strats.
I know their voices and personalities and feel and vibe. I know HSS strats.
A PRS Studio is just an objectively BETTER guitar in every way. It isn't even subjective.
It will sound and feel like a strat so much that <0.0001% of your audiences will scream THAT IS NOT A FENDER!!! I think that the stock 57/08 when split might even sound as weak and thin as a strat's stock sc bridge pickup. lol. Sorry fellas and girls. It just didn't work for me. Then again neither has any stock strat sc bridge pup so....hmm. It's THAT close lol.

Ladies and Gentlemen. If you EVER see a PRS Studio. The 2011 or 2012-ish versions, TRY IT!
This guitar is a jack of all trades and master of all of em. Uhum. EXCEPT a P90.
They might even be inexpensive since they didn't really catch-on.

I've been telling a drummer and co-member of a Summer side-project, Dude you NEED to buy a wicked set of shells. Get your DREAM kit. You have all the awesome hardware and cymbals already. It isn't expensive. This is what you DO. It's what defines you.
Hey do you know Dereyl?
Dereyl who?
Dereyl D.
?
Dereyl with the white van, long hair, kinda funny looking cause he's 7' tall and 120lbs with flaming orange and blue afro. He's the only albino in this small town. You know.
No.
Hmmm...let's see...oh I know... Dereyl the drummer.
Oh THAT Dereyl. Why didn't you SAY so?

I said to him, if a genie fell out of a tree next to me and said "I will grant you whatever rig you want in the whole world. To play not to re-sell and make a fortune so let's take a mint '59 burst into a mint offset '63 Marshall prototype off the table RIGHT now."
My wish would be... no thanks. I'm good already.

TRY a PRS studio if you get a chance.

Sorry for the lengthy advertisement. No I do not have a PRS for sale lol.

I've got one of each. A McCarty Narrowfield and a (Swamp Ash) Studio.

McCartyNF10top_1736.jpg

PRS_SwampAshStudio_1698.jpg

Digging up this old thread to see if any more information came up on why the Studio guitars came and went so quickly? I am thinking of buying one which makes me curious about why its didn't work out. Hoping I'm not missing something.

For the simplest of all possible reasons: If a model doesn't sell enough, PRS stops making it!

They tried a handful of different models based around the Narrowfield pickups, and none of them really caught on.

Based on watching NGDs and online sales over the years, I'm pretty sure more 408s and Paul's guitars have sold than the various Narrowfield models.

(I like my PG, but I like my Studio better!)

Digging up this old thread to see if any more information came up on why the Studio guitars came and went so quickly? I am thinking of buying one which makes me curious about why its didn't work out. Hoping I'm not missing something.

Herr Squid nailed it. Not enough sales. I loved my Studio. Like the NFs so much I put a set in one of my Santanas.

Yep, what Squid said. Paul has been very clear in the couple of clinics I attended that the Narrowfields just didn't sell.

Is it my imagination or do most of my fellow PRS ' ERS prefer humbuckers over single coil/narrow fields? For the most part seems like the humbucker model last longer than any other. Just a thought

Thanks for the info. I am possibly picking up one of the experience 2012 guitars via craigslist so I won't have a ton of time to really evaluate the instrument. The more info the better.

Thanks for the info. I am possibly picking up one of the experience 2012 guitars via craigslist so I won't have a ton of time to really evaluate the instrument. The more info the better.

They sound killer, but have their own unique vibe. Not quite like any other pickup.

I have one of those (the Custom 24 version) and love it. Those Experience 2012 pickups are 53/10s with a different name on them. They're a fairly scarce pickup and the descriptions were confusing. Some called it "warmer" than PRS' other pickups, some called them "clearer" and akin to "single coil pickups from '53" which I guess must have been P90s... I found they're freakin' awesome for playing early Van Halen with a bright Plexi-style amp and also a great pickup in hollowbody guitars.

Is it my imagination or do most of my fellow PRS ' ERS prefer humbuckers over single coil/narrow fields? For the most part seems like the humbucker model last longer than any other. Just a thought

Yeah, I think this crowd self-selects for humbucking guitars that can do single coil-like sounds when needed. PRS has never had a single coil based model really catch on and sell enough to stick around in the lineup.

Just checked Reverb.com - Only 3 NF3's for sale. Maybe that says that the people who own them like them???

I love my narrowfields... They just have a totally different character than the typical humbucker and single coil pickups. I like them so much that I bought two used swamp ash specials with them in it. After I played the first one, I had to have a backup, lol.

I think the 408 definitely took the world by storm when it arrived on the scene. Whereas when the NFs hit the market, there seemed to be more concern about the pickup shape and worry about the ease of replacements.

The NF3s and SAS NFs seem to hit Reverb and Ebay in spurts. I see one or two every few months... Looks like folks are holding onto them.

Maybe PRS will tweak the NFs in the future and they will be reincarnated in a more awesome form.

Maybe PRS will tweak the NFs in the future and they will be reincarnated in a more awesome form.

They were incorporated as a middle pickup a little over a year ago in the 20th Anniversary of Private Stock model; two Paul’s Guitar 408s, with the Narrowfield.

I have one, and “awesome” definitely describes the guitar. So PRS hasn’t given up on them.

The NF middle pickup is without doubt my favorite middle pickup in my many, many years of playing, and having owned a lot of guitars. I’d love to see PRS come out with a Core version, so more people could have access to one.

I think the NF pickups are really awesome so far. The bridge is good but could have a little more low end. My goal was to have something different sounding then the McCarty and it has delivered perfectly in that respect. One area that has been problematic is tuning. It has 4 springs and looks to be set up correctly. The locking tuning pegs are not like anything I have ever had on a guitar and I could be doing something wrong there. After a bend or two the guitar gets way out of tune. Hopefully a good look over and setup will solve things. I am thinking of going down to 09s which is what I have on all my other electrics. Kind of want to stick with the 10's though.

Back