Sometimes Vintage Gear Just Sucked

This is kind of funny as just yesterday I was browsing overdrive pedals on ebay and went past a bunch of black Russian made Big muffs that were going for a bit of money. I had to look into to it a bit as I have an old black russian big muff I bought about 15 years ago from someone at work for next to no money. It has pretty much sat in a box ever since as it didn't really do anything for me. It's not too bad to be honest, but at the same time not compelling and I've always though it looked cheap and nasty. Still, if it's worth 4 or 5 times what I paid for it I can't say I'm too unhappy.

I gave away a old Rat not really digging it.

Dude flipped it on ebay for 200 bux.

I'm still pissed. LOL

I got in plenty hot water round 73 or so. I just HAD to have a Mutron Phasor. It was 120 bucks at the local music store. I bought it, but I spent the entire weeks spending, grocery money on it and she was HOT!!!!!. I tried to explain that I would make it back in about two days of gigging, but to her it was the principle of the thing. Now, 40 some years later, I still have the ancient and valuable Mutron, and she well... not so much...;-)

I got in plenty hot water round 73 or so. I just HAD to have a Mutron Phasor. It was 120 bucks at the local music store. I bought it, but I spent the entire weeks spending, grocery money on it and she was HOT!!!!!. I tried to explain that I would make it back in about two days of gigging, but to her it was the principle of the thing. Now, 40 some years later, I still have the ancient and valuable Mutron, and she well... not so much...;-)

Food money just turns into poop and garbage within a few days, anyway, and you, sir, have a cool vintage Mutron!

I applaud your perspicacity and good fortune!

Sorry to mix threads, but there’s @11top ’s band name:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Funky Hookers!”

When describing most hookers, that’s sort of an oxymoron... ;)

On the other hand, there are no doubt some who are on the less funky end of the spectrum!

On the other hand, there are no doubt some who are on the less funky end of the spectrum!

Whoa, woah, woah no need for name calling up in here...besides he can't help it...too many lead paint chips and he never wore his helmet when he got off his leash...and well you know how he likes to bang his head into things repeatedly. We have to be nice to him...he's sensitive and words can hurt too ya know:D

Whoa, woah, woah no need for name calling up in here...besides he can't help it...too many lead paint chips and he never wore his helmet when he got off his leash...and well you know how he likes to bang his head into things repeatedly. We have to be nice to him...he's sensitive and words can hurt too ya know:D

Yeah but let’s get back to talking hookers, here.

Or maybe a spoonerism!

“Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the Hunky Fookers!” :oops:

Vintage bridges and machine heads usually drive me crazy.

This! The tuners are sometimes forgivable, but put one of those gawdawful Strat trems with the bent steel saddles near me and I won't be able to run away fast enough!

Funny thing when it comes to PRS people as opposed to other brand enthusiasts........we tend to be on the "newest and the latest" more so than the "vintage" vibe. Take pups for instance. You hear it all the time....... 85/15's WOW!!! Just what I always wanted. 57/08's everything I ever wanted in a pup. Dragon II's? meh. Old McCarty pups, they are ok BUT have you tried then new LT's? 5 way rotary? Naaahhh man, the DGT system is soooooo much better.

It is like Paul makes constant improvements, and we, as PRS fans, typically like them. But, when other brands make "improvements", we complain that they don't sound like the older stuff. Go figure....lol

Last edited:
I’ve played some “vintage” jazz boxes from the 40s and 50s that their owners paid a pretty penny for, and some of them were utterly lifeless and sour sounding. But to have a “vintage” D’Aquisto Or D’Angelico from the 40s or 50s, or some such in your possession? Big status, even if it sounds like a turd, cracked nitro finish notwithstanding!

I was lucky enough to try an early ‘50s D'Angelico Excel a few years ago and like you felt it didn’t play or sound that great. But when I thought about it I realised it was me rather than the guitar. The big jazz box guitars from the 40s and 50s were designed for a very specific type of music that I simply don’t know how to play. The people who did were the big band players who held them in such high esteem. Technically they were aiming for a different thing too - to be heard unamplified over horns and other instruments. So, for me, I decided it was a bit like like driving a 1930s Bentley Blower - they don’t drive like a modern hatchback but they still do what they were designed for very well. I had the chance to play a ‘50s New Yorker earlier this year and didn’t because having tried the Excel I know they’re just not my sort of guitar but I still think they’re beautiful instruments and I can see why people would want one and why they still command such high prices.

Back