Cleared!

d4rkst4r

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Today was my 3-month follow-up with the neurosurgeon that did the work on my spine. Coming out of that I remember having no real use of my hands and fingers, left eye couldn't focus, inability to walk, etc. I worked my a$$ of in rehab until I experienced that near-fatal bleed-out which set progress back, and I got rushed back to the hospital for 10 days. Once back at the rehab again to start over, I worked even harder, impressed the staff, and "graduated" early to be released to rehab from home. I can get around at home with a walker currently. During today's visit I had all restrictions lifted except the need to walking assist and I can't drive yet . Good news is I can begin recumbent biking AND play guitars again. I'll need to be on a chair, need help gathering gear, and the pedals will need to be on a table in front of me, but there's progress. After the holidays, I plan to get the recording gear in place for some fun. 90 days ago, I was planning to unload all my gear, but now I have a second shot at playing. Chords will be challenging, and holding/controlling the pick will take some initial effort, but that's work I'm willing to put in.

Let's make some noise!

Last edited:
Congratulations! My elderly Mom took a misstep during her line dancing class late Sept 2021 and broke her upper femur. Surgery within 48 hours (doctors said Mom had the best bone break possible) and several months of PT followed. Now 87, Mom gets around with or without a cane, exercises regularly with walking sticks for support, and socializes with her local friends each week. Though no longer line dancing, when weather cooperates Mom will walk for 30 minutes every chance she can get.

Mom is still quick-witted and is a good listener, despite her hearing aids.

Mom is one of my inspirations in my life...Mom endures but doesn't give up, ands it's that perseverance that makes me smile every time when we share an evening meal together...

giphy.gif

Wow d4rkst4r, I had no idea you were going through all of that. Sounds like you have handled it with some real grit and grace! Congrats on the progress!! If I can make a suggestion, considering you are crossing new and old bridges here with getting the playing going on again, try more finger picking! You will never drop your pick again, because you won't be holding one ;~)) I literally played that style (finger picking) maybe 1% of my guitar time up until about 3 months ago when I dropped my pick in the middle of a song and did not have another to grab. To finger picking it was for the rest of that song and it was almost like a revelation for me! Not saying it will be for you, and I have do doubt you have probably tried it before, but give it a go would be my tally ho! Keep those positive spirits flowing, you know you got this ;~))

Today was my 3-month follow-up with the neurosurgeon that did the work on my spine. Coming out of that I remember having no real use of my hands and fingers, left eye couldn't focus, inability to walk, etc. I worked my a$$ of in rehab until I experienced that near-fatal bleed-out which set progress back, and I got rushed back to the hospital for 10 days. Once back at the rehab again to start over, I worked even harder, impressed the staff, and "graduated" early to be released to rehab from home. I can get around at home with a walker currently. During today's visit I had all restrictions lifted except the need to walking assist and I can't drive yet . Good news is I can begin recumbent biking AND play guitars again. I'll need to be on a chair, need help gathering gear, and the pedals will need to be on a table in front of me, but there's progress. After the holidays, I plan to get the recording gear in place for some fun. 90 days ago, I was planning to unload all my gear, but now I have a second shot at playing. Chords will be challenging, and holding/controlling the pick will take some initial effort, but that's work I'm willing to put in.

Let's make some noise!
Praise God!
You go!
Praying for you.

AND play guitars again. I'll need to be on a chair, need help gathering gear, and the pedals will need to be on a table in front of me, but there's progress. After the holidays, I plan to get the recording gear in place for some fun. 90 days ago, I was planning to unload all my gear, but now I have a second shot at playing. Chords will be challenging, and holding/controlling the pick will take some initial effort, but that's work I'm willing to put in.

Let's make some noise!

Congrats!!! So great to hear you're getting a 2nd chance at guitar life.

I have been able to avoid the spine surgery but have had to deal with many of the issues you mention just to keep playing. Feel free to hit me up for any tips on what I do to keep playing.

From what you say I'll just share:
-Buy a quality drum throne with a back rest, or a top quality office chair, your posture while playing is of utmost importance.

-Find the lightest gear you can, maybe shift to hollowbody guitars & a light modeler amp.

-Wynn fishing rod grip tape on picks works wonders, makes them stay in your hands, and less grip force to play.

-Limit your playing time periods at first, we love playing so much that we can over do it when just getting back into it.

Wishing you the best, looking forward to hearing you make beautiful noise once again.

So awesome that you've been cleared, maybe not for takeoff yet, at least onto the taxiway!

Depending on your sitting endurance for playing guitar, one additional option is lying on the left edge of a bed so you have freedom with your left arm (assuming you're not a lefty) and with a wedge pillow or something equivalent so that you're not totally flat.

And if chording is difficult, no need to wrestle with .010s when .008s and even .007s could be a lot easier to start out with.

Let's make some noise!
Rock the mics, it's time to play!!

Back