Who is hip to Headphones?

Sybo

Jim
Ssssup y’all. I need some suggestions. Couple of days a week, my Wife works from home and cannot be disturbed so I have been playing through headphones and using Beyerdynamic DT770 closed back. 80 ohms and they seem to be pretty good. I am looking for something better. More dynamic, cleaner. I am plugged into a Katana 50 so plenty of juice. Would a 250 ohm give me this?
As always thanks all..

I really like my Sennheiser 650. The favorite over on the Fractal Forum is the Ollo S4X and Ollo S5X.
If I played through my headphones more often I’d probably try a set of Ollo’s just because of the hype they get on the other forum. Some of those guys play thru headphones most of the time.

Check out V-Moda. I have the M100 Master and they sound a lot better plugged into guitar and bass amps than others I've tried.
I use them for tracking guitar and bass, recording synths and drums, and editing late at night.
The cans are actually metal and have removable plates that can be engraved or printed on, and they sell custom designs. You can have any image printed on them.
Sweetwater listing - M100

I owned once a Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro w/ 250 Ohm. My trustful company when playing my HELIX Floor silent - or recording musical ideas.

I really like my Sennheiser 650. The favorite over on the Fractal Forum is the Ollo S4X and Ollo S5X.
If I played through my headphones more often I’d probably try a set of Ollo’s just because of the hype they get on the other forum. Some of those guys play thru headphones most of the time.

I'm with you on Sennheiser phones. I have the SENNHEISER HD 599 Open Back Headphone, Ivory
Very liattle fatigue when wearing them for long periods of time.

Been a long time B&W fanboy, presently own wired P1,P5 and P7.
And wireless Px7.

I have consistently found they do the lower register exceedingly well and upper range attack is glorious.
If they lose out anywhere it's at times sounding a little muddy in the middle.

I use them for both music and guitar listening, comfortable for hours.
Very well built, I ain't managed to bust a pair yet!

The ones that I first pick up (for playback) are my DT770s. I also have some Sony MDR s (I think 7506 or something like that) and these give an alternative take to the Beyers. The only other pairs of closed backs that I have are some PerSonus HD9s - which I find really useful for plugging into my Spark when travelling (they are pretty dynamic and may well suit your purpose) and some ancient Koss Pros that I haven't used for years!

I actually generally use open backed 'phones for practice purposes - but open backed ones may bleed too much for your needs.

The first thing to think about is what your needs are.

How much isolation do you require from external sound? How much coin do you want to drop? Do you need the best fidelity and want to invest in a headphone amp? Etc.

There's nothing wrong with the DT-770s; my son uses them to track and mix major label records (he also uses planar cans as a cross-reference). So there's that...

Anyway, here's my primer on cans:

Closed back phones have the isolation needed for tracking, like your DT-770s. You don't hear the other folks in the room, and they don't have to hear what you're listening to.

The drawback of closed back cans is they're less linear in the bass, and a bit more difficult to use for mixing audio or very neutral listening, as you might need in mastering situations.

Open back phones are generally more like listening to speakers and more accurate, because the bass doesn't bounce around inside the cans, but sound gets in from outside and also leaks out of the cans. You can hear noise from the environment, and the environment hears what you're listening to. Great for mixing and mastering, but not for tracking.

There's also the question of what kind of drivers you prefer.

Dynamic drivers are like the cones on traditional speakers, most headphones, and dynamic mics. They're a little less reactive to transients because they weigh more than other types of drivers. However, they come in various price points from inexpensive to very expensive. Some dynamic drivers are great, some are not.

Planar drivers use very thin diaphragms and have embedded magnetic wires in the driver. Because they're very light, transients are very fast, and they have fewer resonances in the range of human hearing. The cost varies from moderately expensive to very expensive.

Electrostatic drivers have power supplies that charge the diaphragms electrically. These are generally on the more expensive end of things. The drivers are very light, similar to planar drivers.

And oh yes, there are also circumaural (around the ear) cans, on-ear cans that sit on the pinnae of the ears, in-ear monitors that can be astonishingly good in the case of custom made expensive models, but there's that whole yucky-to-some ear wax thing to deal with, etc.

I have all three traditional can types; each type has a specific purpose.

If you want the highest performance for headphones a headphone amp is a great idea - even if your audio source has a lot of juice, because they're more accurate and have better fidelity than the inexpensive headphone amp chips that come in gear. A headphone amp is generally not needed for electrostats.

Testing headphones yourself is the only way to pick headphones. Everyone's head shape, size, pinnae, and so on are different; cans that sound great to one person can sound like crap to another for those reasons. Comfort to one is discomfort to another. Etc.

I'll mention what I use, but I don't recommend anyone follow my lead; people need to find out what they prefer and get that. That said, here's what I use and why:

I use open-back planar cans from Audeze because they sound like excellent near field monitors in a room. They've become something of a mastering standard and are crazy-accurate. They're pretty comfortable.

For closed back cans, I use Beyer Dynamic DT-1770 because they have excellent isolation and fidelity for dynamic cans (these were also mentioned by @Maertl513); I should mention that these are a more accurate set than the DT-770, but with a headphone amp the 770s are very good phones, too.

The 1770s sound shockingly better with a headphone amp, even though my Universal Audio interface has plenty of juice. They're actually pretty close to the Audeze with a good amp. So there's that.

I also have Stax electrostatics that are older, but still quite good. These have to be externally powered with a power amp of the type used for stereo speakers. I've had them for many years, but I gave away the amp I used for them, so they're sitting in my storage room. I kinda prefer the Audeze for my purposes.

I can also highly recommend the Grado dynamic headphones. I've had a pair of one of their higher end models. They're quite wonderful at all Grado's price points, with a very balanced sound. Those I should have kept in addition to the others. And their $80 set is generally regarded as one of the best values in high fidelity. If you can find them, try them.

For the talent (singers and instrumentalists) I have Blue and Sennheiser closed back dynamics. These aren't accurate or comfortable enough for my personal use, but are fine for talent to use when tracking. The Sennheisers physically fell apart the first time a singer used them, but I managed to get them put back together. That was disappointing! But Sennheisers have a very good reputation and there's no need to avoid them.

The Blue headphones are closed back; the Sennheisers I have talent use for tracking are their closed back cans, too. These wouldn't be my choice, but might be yours, and if so I wouldn't criticize your choice.

I use an SPL Phonitor One headphone amp. It's nice, and at $500, not prohibitively expensive. Made a huge difference here at Studio Craptastic. SPL also makes a much more expensive model that I thought hard about getting, but backed off, and several in-between models with built-in converters (which I don't need, since the converters on my interface are very good).

Now that I've seen how important a headphone amp can be, I kinda would consider the $2200 SPL model on a day when I'm flush with dough. It can also be used as a studio monitor controller/preamp.

Finally, for computer tracking and mixing - this isn't the OP's purpose but I mention it just in case - any set of decent headphones can be made to have a flat frequency response with something like Sonarworks Sound ID Reference software, with presets for almost every set of headphones on the market.

The caveat here is that it's great to know what "flat" frequency response sounds like, but no speaker in any room has a flat response. Doesn't exist because the physics of even well designed, acoustically treated, spaces doesn't permit "flat". So most headphone designers go instead for a certain frequency response curve used for many years as a reference. I think it was developed back in the day by Harman (of the now-legendary Harman Kardon hi fi company), called the Harman Curve.

In other words, you don't really want perfectly flat headphones if you want a 'normal' sound on speakers.

I use the Sound ID Reference software as more or less a reality check to make sure there isn't anything very weird in a track.

Last edited:
You already have plenty of information here, but I'll put in another vote for Sennheisers. I've been using HD600s since there were HD600s (or at least since they stopped making HD580s) and I find them just about perfect for listening to everything: recorded music, guitar, even YouTube.

Ssssup y’all. I need some suggestions. Couple of days a week, my Wife works from home and cannot be disturbed so I have been playing through headphones and using Beyerdynamic DT770 closed back. 80 ohms and they seem to be pretty good. I am looking for something better. More dynamic, cleaner. I am plugged into a Katana 50 so plenty of juice. Would a 250 ohm give me this?
As always thanks all..
If the DT770s do not sound clear or dynamic, I venture to say it is your signal not your headphones. I use these for tracking and mixing and they are some of the best I have tried in this price point. I have a set of Sennheiser phones as well but I feel like like the BD are more accurate to my monitors. Once I get what I think is a good mix I move to my monitors to verify it.

One big difference in the BD and the Sennheiser phones I have is the ohms of them. One thing you may want to try is to use a headphone amp with the BD cans. They like to have a bit more power since they are higher ohms than a lot of 8 ohm cans. This makes a pretty big difference in how they sound.

I don't know what you are plugging the phones into. You may be better off with a set of 8 ohm cans depending on how much power the device you are plugging into has for them.

Because Sonarworks creates software response curves and measures the phones to do it, their very brief reviews can be helpful in deciding which ones to check out, and they include frequency response and distortion graphs.

They also have a Top 24 list on their site, but take note that the list isn't a ranking, it's simply numbered and goes from low-priced to very high-priced cans.

Here's a link:

Sony MDR 7506 have been my work ( Audio , Video , recording , editing ) headphone for many years , Sounds very accurate , holds up to traveling in workboxes and tech cases and comfortable with very good isolation

I always had a few pairs of these in my studio for many years, and they're great for tracking and short sessions.

They're also inexpensive, which makes them good to hand talent - you don't have to worry about some singer throwing your more expensive headphones on the floor the second they're done recording - a common experience in studio world. The drawback is the bass, which is fatiguing to listen to for a long time; at least it was for me.

For a longer session where isolation is needed, the OP's DT-770s are excellent. I'd recommend he use the DT-770s he already has instead of a pair of Sonys.

I certainly can not give you the details that László can, but my favorites are AKG 712 Pro. I also have BD DT990 Pro 250Hz and Sennheiser HD280's (my closed back option). The reason I love the AKG K712 Pro's so much is the comfort on head and ears. I have had them for ~3 years now and I have never had an issue with them getting uncomfortable on my head. They sound fantastic, but I don't have an extensive test bed to compare to. The DT990's give me a little more low/mid-low end output IMO, but that is in part due I think, to a more tight fit of the cups on the head/ears.

Next phones I will pick up are Ollo's. I would like their open and closed backs based on what I have heard from many sources. I would also love to try some B&W's as I have always been a fan of their speakers, but I guess I will have to visit Max Headroom to experience those cans as nobody in my area has them to test!

Tough to find the right ones when you can't sit down and listen to a dozen different models and where them for hours to test comfort, but I am sure you will find something. Be sure to look at your signal chain though as mentioned above by JasonE. Take your BD's to different sources and see if you feel the same way about them when plugged in elsewhere! Best wishes on finding your ideal cans!!!

Back