Cleared!

Today was the day....kindof.....today, I FINALLY worked up the nerve to descend the basement stairs out of necessity to start printing tax () docs.....and there they were, my guitars still in hibernation. I have a cheapo LP copy in a gig bag, the cased ones are a bit heavy and cumbersome, and I'm still basically in a chair, so I grabbed it, and did some strumming, unplugged, for about ten minutes. Euphoria! First time since August. Just another small taste of 'normalcy' for me. Maybe my procrastination was beneficial because my dexterity is way better than a couple months ago, if not close to complete, and it may have been frustrating to struggle. Now to strategically place and set up some gear over time and reaquaint myself with the art of random noisemaking!

Today was the day....kindof.....today, I FINALLY worked up the nerve to descend the basement stairs out of necessity to start printing tax () docs.....and there they were, my guitars still in hibernation. I have a cheapo LP copy in a gig bag, the cased ones are a bit heavy and cumbersome, and I'm still basically in a chair, so I grabbed it, and did some strumming, unplugged, for about ten minutes. Euphoria! First time since August. Just another small taste of 'normalcy' for me. Maybe my procrastination was beneficial because my dexterity is way better than a couple months ago, if not close to complete, and it may have been frustrating to struggle. Now to strategically place and set up some gear over time and reaquaint myself with the art of random noisemaking!
If @bodia won’t come over and help you, I will! Welcome back!

If @bodia won’t come over and help you, I will! Welcome back!

P.S. as long as there isn’t a stinking Xichigan banner in the basement. If there is, I’ll bring some bug spray.

1. - If Bodia comes here, I'll somehow have an 8th guitar on the way before I realize it, so he would have to peer through the basement window only, and converse via phone. Access denied!

2. - There is most certainly a Michigan banner, but it is right next to the Reds banner which may mitigate some of the angst. :cool:

@d4rkst4r I don't know the story of what happened to you. I'm hoping someone can link the post where it is discussed (if possible) so I can catch up without you having to retype it for the 1,000th time. Kudos for fighting through whatever this is!

I broke my neck in 2014 in a way that left me walking, but I didn't have insurance and I was in a ton of pain. I wasn't sure if something was broken or sprained, but I was willing to take my chances because any ER visit is $$$$ without insurance. I actually went to work for 3 days before going to get an MRI (new job = no insurance) and was essentially kidnapped to the nearest ER. I'm lucky to be alive, walking around and not paraplegic. But I didn't have to go through a ton of rehab after the surgery, other than being in a neck brace for 5 months, and restricted in movement while I healed up. I still won't wear a tie. :oops:

I have, however, had 4 knee surgeries on the same knee, been involved in a fatal accident, and various other injuries that have left me in rehab in lots of different ways.

I have a hand injury that set me back a lot in terms of playing for a long time, and is about to do the same again (arthritis and I'm 48 dammit!).

I never had to rewire anything mentally, and I'm not quite sure of that is what you are doing now. I respect the hell out of you either way. I'm sad that you had guitar taken away through this experience, but I am grateful that you have that same thing to be the carrot on the stick of recovery.

Keep that *^% up! This community is here for you. Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Denver (I think you might be in Michigan or close to that) , let's hook up! I would love to get to know you and offer any help I can... even if it's just someone to joke around with.

1. - If Bodia comes here, I'll somehow have an 8th guitar on the way before I realize it, so he would have to peer through the basement window only, and converse via phone. Access denied!

2. - There is most certainly a Michigan banner, but it is right next to the Reds banner which may mitigate some of the angst. :cool:
on a more serious note, glad you’re doing better!

Today was my 3-month follow-up with the neurosurgeon that did the work on my spine. Coming out of that I remember having no real use of my hands and fingers, left eye couldn't focus, inability to walk, etc. I worked my a$$ of in rehab until I experienced that near-fatal bleed-out which set progress back, and I got rushed back to the hospital for 10 days. Once back at the rehab again to start over, I worked even harder, impressed the staff, and "graduated" early to be released to rehab from home. I can get around at home with a walker currently. During today's visit I had all restrictions lifted except the need to walking assist and I can't drive yet . Good news is I can begin recumbent biking AND play guitars again. I'll need to be on a chair, need help gathering gear, and the pedals will need to be on a table in front of me, but there's progress. After the holidays, I plan to get the recording gear in place for some fun. 90 days ago, I was planning to unload all my gear, but now I have a second shot at playing. Chords will be challenging, and holding/controlling the pick will take some initial effort, but that's work I'm willing to put in.

Let's make some noise!
Congratulations

Hi Tedder, I for one, am both humbled and further encouraged by your story, as if the physical and mental challenges aren't enough, the financial component had to be unbearable. Fortunately having insurance, I still have about a six or seven inch thick pile of bills I've paid....bye bye retirement in five years or so .

I'm a Chicago boy, my thing is earlier in this thread, but, in September, I was collapsing, got taken to E.R., and diagnosed with a bulging disc and spinal cord compression at T2, T3. So much so, that spinal contrast could not flow through the compression. That resulted in nerve/cord injury. Neuro doc went in and opened up the area to relieve the pressure, but I woke up unable to move my hands, blurry left eye, and lower extremity weakness.

I eventually was transferred to a rehab facility, but about four days in, had a major bleed-out because no one, including myself, knew I had three duodenal ulcers which were bleeding due to the thinners they were hammering me with. I was emergency evac'd to the nearest hospital, where the ulcers were identified and clipped, but I lost over half my blood. I have osteoarthritis in my back, hands, hip, and knees. To cope, I was taking prescription strength NSAIDs, as well as topical gels, creams, and patches.

I felt great, but for anyone reading this, that sh!t will eat you alive so be very careful.

I was in that hospital for 10 days, then sent back to rehab where I completed about a 9-day stint for a total of 5 consecutive weeks in one or the other. Another five or six weeks of home occupational and physical therapy helped but you can only do so much when limited to the kitchen and living room. Neuro doc agreed and ordered outpatient p.t., which I am currently doing 3x/week, and it fast-forwarded everything for me. He was stunned I am doing things after about four months, that he estimated a year. I'm still utilizing a walker, but my strength continues to build with each session. He said he didn't need to see me anymore which was sweet.

(He was wearing his Ohio State polo, so since he had done everything he could for me, I reminded him that Michigan won the national championship ...take that DTR!)

Sucks I can't take the anti-inflammatory stuff, because the pain of the athritis and shredding the scar tissue in my back is quite overwhelming. I only sleep 45 minutes to an hour at a time, sit up for awhile, and try again.

That's where these forums and the fine folks within it have played such an impactful role. All these sleeples nights, I read so many things from such knowledgeable, talented individuals both in the hospitals and at home. Any time I see music I do not recognize in the Song Title Game, I note and seek it out for a listen, plus the offerings of folks like Moon to enjoy fresh takes on things, have gotten me through. I'm grateful for initially stumbling upon this site and the power of the well-wishes of so many of it's participants. It has and continues to be a force, in part, to my recovery. Thanks to anyone and everyone, you are appreciated!

It’s not just your house that you have to keep him out of though. Make absolutely CERTAIN that he doesn’t have your Reverb ID and Password!!! But yeah, never let them in your home… He and Sergio are like drug dealers with their “here, just a little taste for free” routine. Then the next thing you know, you have three Santana’s and 25 tacos in route to your home before you can get those two out of there and your credit card back!

It’s not just your house that you have to keep him out of though. Make absolutely CERTAIN that he doesn’t have your Reverb ID and Password!!! But yeah, never let them in your home… He and Sergio are like drug dealers with their “here, just a little taste for free” routine. Then the next thing you know, you have three Santana’s and 25 tacos in route to your home before you can get those two out of there and your credit card back!
Factually true!

Hi Tedder, I for one, am both humbled and further encouraged by your story, as if the physical and mental challenges aren't enough, the financial component had to be unbearable. Fortunately having insurance, I still have about a six or seven inch thick pile of bills I've paid....bye bye retirement in five years or so .

I'm a Chicago boy, my thing is earlier in this thread, but, in September, I was collapsing, got taken to E.R., and diagnosed with a bulging disc and spinal cord compression at T2, T3. So much so, that spinal contrast could not flow through the compression. That resulted in nerve/cord injury. Neuro doc went in and opened up the area to relieve the pressure, but I woke up unable to move my hands, blurry left eye, and lower extremity weakness.

I eventually was transferred to a rehab facility, but about four days in, had a major bleed-out because no one, including myself, knew I had three duodenal ulcers which were bleeding due to the thinners they were hammering me with. I was emergency evac'd to the nearest hospital, where the ulcers were identified and clipped, but I lost over half my blood. I have osteoarthritis in my back, hands, hip, and knees. To cope, I was taking prescription strength NSAIDs, as well as topical gels, creams, and patches.

I felt great, but for anyone reading this, that sh!t will eat you alive so be very careful.

I was in that hospital for 10 days, then sent back to rehab where I completed about a 9-day stint for a total of 5 consecutive weeks in one or the other. Another five or six weeks of home occupational and physical therapy helped but you can only do so much when limited to the kitchen and living room. Neuro doc agreed and ordered outpatient p.t., which I am currently doing 3x/week, and it fast-forwarded everything for me. He was stunned I am doing things after about four months, that he estimated a year. I'm still utilizing a walker, but my strength continues to build with each session. He said he didn't need to see me anymore which was sweet.

(He was wearing his Ohio State polo, so since he had done everything he could for me, I reminded him that Michigan won the national championship ...take that DTR!)

Sucks I can't take the anti-inflammatory stuff, because the pain of the athritis and shredding the scar tissue in my back is quite overwhelming. I only sleep 45 minutes to an hour at a time, sit up for awhile, and try again.

That's where these forums and the fine folks within it have played such an impactful role. All these sleeples nights, I read so many things from such knowledgeable, talented individuals both in the hospitals and at home. Any time I see music I do not recognize in the Song Title Game, I note and seek it out for a listen, plus the offerings of folks like Moon to enjoy fresh takes on things, have gotten me through. I'm grateful for initially stumbling upon this site and the power of the well-wishes of so many of it's participants. It has and continues to be a force, in part, to my recovery. Thanks to anyone and everyone, you are appreciated!

You've really been through the ringer! Thanks for sharing and glad to hear that you are moving forward, even if it's a slow step at a time. Please keep us updated!

Back